Hi from Los Angeles

Ha! Hoo-boy... There is a long list! The top ones I've been working on the most are (not necessarily in order, other than Iz's is my top goal ATM):

1. Iz's version of Over The Rainbow/Wonderful World medley. I've got all the chord changes, they're pretty easy. It's his amazing combo of picking a couple strings and strumming that I'm trying to perfect. This song (and a recent trip to Hawai'i) were what made me catch the uke bug!

2. Different versions of Malaguena 😍, finger picking and with a tiny bit of flamenco. One of them is my own version, one is the first part of one from Ukulele Zen (I need to pick up the rest of it in his shop - heard him play it and it's amazing!) and one from Jeff Peterson of Ukulele Corner. (He does a nice tutorial of this on YouTube, with a free tab sheet download)

3. Annie's Song by John Denver, from an old piano/vocal/guitar book I have, and playing with finger picking while I play harmonica for the melody. It has been about 30 years since I've done that (used to do it with banjo) so I have to relearn the coordination .. but it's coming. (More slowly than I'd like... I've gotten old since then!) 😂

4. Stu Fuch's (Ukulele Zen) nice jazzy arrangement of Georgia on my Mind - again with harmonica for melody. (I'm really not a singer... I wish!)

And I'm slowly working through a class that Stu has on playing chord melodies. Good thing I'm retired! 🤣

How about you? Got any new favorites?
Oh wow, playing the uke and harmonica at the same time?! Your coordination must be really good :D
I'm currently learning Beatles songs :)

Welcome to UU, Peggy!
I hope that you get to play with your relatives. It's truly special to share that musical connection.
Theoretically, I gifted my first uke to my daughter, so in practice it's still in my house (and I still play it).

Ukulele Cheats gets a recommendation from me.

Welcome to the UU Forum, @Cheesecakes ! It's nice to see a new member who's so responsive in your intro thread. I sometimes feel hesitant to say hi when there's too many unanswered welcome replies, since I'm afraid we might scare away new members with too much of a flooding warm welcome.

Hope you stick around and find yourself a home here! So much great uke info from some great uke-loving folks.

If you haven't yet, you should get the Los Angeles International Ukulele Festival on your radar for Sept. It's put on by a UUF member, Mitch Chang, and he does a great job getting together a talented line-up of performers / workshop teachers.

I got my first uke in the early 2000's, but didn't play it much back then. I gifted it to a buddy in maybe 2009 and just recently got it back, after I got swept away by this amazing instrument 3yrs ago. He wasn't playing it and it definitely wasn't getting the love it deserves.

I then gifted it to another buddy, who seemed interested in learning. I taught him a few basic chords and him on his way.

He's not much a musician and perhaps didnt know the best care and maintenance for an instrument, so he returned it in, let's just say, not the best shape. It was all dusty, no case or gig bag with a dent on the top, above the bridge. It isn't anything fancy (I don't even remember the make or model at the moment), but I mean... it should still be treated with some respect!!

I dusted it off, gave it a polish, changed the strings (probably for its first time ever) and it actually sounds decent!

Maybe the moral is, if you gift it, make sure the recipient might actually use it and teach them to care for it. 😬

ps... I just noticed you have, what looks to be, a large eyed Christmas elf orrrrr a BTS member, in your profile pic. (My wife informs me it's Jimin).

I take back all the nice things I said. Isn't there some Army thread you should be perusing? 😉

This might be your next go-to YT uke teacher...

There's one girl on IG who KILLS some BTS chord melody. I gotta find her for ya.

Edit: found her. She's on YT too, for longer format. She' so good!!!!

Last edited:
Welcome to UU, Peggy!
I hope that you get to play with your relatives. It's truly special to share that musical connection.
Theoretically, I gifted my first uke to my daughter, so in practice it's still in my house (and I still play it).

Ukulele Cheats gets a recommendation from me.
Thank you Ms Bean! It's great that your first uke is still being played and appreciated! Yes, Ukulele Cheats is great. I recently stumbled across another channel on YouTube: Al Wood, he has a lot of songs covers and really good too :D

Welcome to the UU Forum, @Cheesecakes ! It's nice to see a new member who's so responsive in your intro thread. I sometimes feel hesitant to say hi when there's too many unanswered welcome replies, since I'm afraid we might scare away new members with too much of a flooding warm welcome.

Hope you stick around and find yourself a home here! So much great uke info from some great uke-loving folks.

If you haven't yet, you should get the Los Angeles International Ukulele Festival on your radar for Sept. It's put on by a UUF member, Mitch Chang, and he does a great job getting together a talented line-up of performers / workshop teachers.

I got my first uke in the early 2000's, but didn't play it much back then. I gifted it to a buddy in maybe 2009 and just recently got it back, after I got swept away by this amazing instrument 3yrs ago. He wasn't playing it and it definitely wasn't getting the love it deserves.

I then gifted it to another buddy, who seemed interested in learning. I taught him a few basic chords and him on his way.

He's not much a musician and perhaps didnt know the best care and maintenance for an instrument, so he returned it in, let's just say, not the best shape. It was all dusty, no case or gig bag with a dent on the top, above the bridge. It isn't anything fancy (I don't even remember the make or model at the moment), but I mean... it should still be treated with some respect!!

I dusted it off, gave it a polish, changed the strings (probably for its first time ever) and it actually sounds decent!

Maybe the moral is, if you gift it, make sure the recipient might actually use it and teach them to care for it. 😬
Hey there! Thank you for the welcome, and also letting me know about the Ukulele Festival! I see that they have a Marketplace at the event, which is great, I'd love to look at their variety of ukes. I went to Guitar Center today and they don't have a lot of selections.

Thanks for the tip on gifting ukuleles. My parents live in Singapore and I visit them couple times a year, I think it would be a good idea to leave my first uke there so I can practice while I'm there. Also, Singapore has high humidity, so a laminate is more suitable.

Haha! Your wife is right, it's Jimin. Appreciate the BTS tutorials and recommendations! I'll check them out :D

Welcome to the UU Forum, @Cheesecakes If you haven't yet, you should get the Los Angeles International Ukulele Festival on your radar for Sept. It's put on by a UUF member, Mitch Chang, and he does a great job getting together a talented line-up of performers / workshop teachers.
I should have mentioned that too. My group, Cali Rose & The CC Strummers, is the opening act on Saturday at 9am. I should have also mentioned my group, we meet on Zoom Monday afternoons at 3pm, which Cali calls beginners class, and Thursday mornings at 10a, beginners/intermediate. We also meet together in Mar Vista every other Sunday and Wednesday at 1pm in the back yard of one member. Are you near there? If you're interested, go to www.calirose.com to sign up.

Hi Peggie - I still have my first ukulele - a solid spruce top concert Luna. It was sold set up by the vendor - The Ukulele Site - back when they still carried Luna brand. It is really nice and sentimental to me as I started my journey on it.

Welcome! I’m also in the LA area! Have you been to Island Bazaar yet? It’s a super neat shop in Huntington Beach.

I’m also planning to gift my first laminate uke to a friend. I tried putting Low G strings on it and it sounds awful, so I need to switch strings back first.

I should have mentioned that too. My group, Cali Rose & The CC Strummers, is the opening act on Saturday at 9am. I should have also mentioned my group, we meet on Zoom Monday afternoons at 3pm, which Cali calls beginners class, and Thursday mornings at 10a, beginners/intermediate. We also meet together in Mar Vista every other Sunday and Wednesday at 1pm in the back yard of one member. Are you near there? If you're interested, go to www.calirose.com to sign up.
Hi Mike, thanks for letting know about Cali Rose and The CC Strummers, looks like a really fun group! I'll consider signing up for the online classes and meet-ups.

Last edited:
Hey there! Lol ok, what is the size of your first uke? I also just changed the strings on my first ukulele (tenor) to a Low G set (D'Addario Custom Extruded). It sounds alright. No, I have not been to Island Bazaar. I'm in the North Hollywood in LA, so it's kind of far haha!
My first one is a concert because that’s what a friend recommended. After a month on the concert, I went to Island Bazaar and fell in love with a soprano. I almost bought a tenor just to try the size, but now I don’t think i’ll like it. I think soprano is a very comfortable size.

I bought the red aquila strings, which has a wound G (I had no idea what that meant when I bought it, lol), but it’s very squeaky on my fingers and the other strings sound very thin and tinny on the concert. I want to try a nylon low-G, but maybe on another uke. Decisions decisions!

North Hollywood is definitely a drive, especially with the never-ending traffic. I’m in the Torrance area. It’s definitely worth the trip if you ever want to try some top tier instruments!

My first one is a concert because that’s what a friend recommended. After a month on the concert, I went to Island Bazaar and fell in love with a soprano. I almost bought a tenor just to try the size, but now I don’t think i’ll like it. I think soprano is a very comfortable size.

I bought the red aquila strings, which has a wound G (I had no idea what that meant when I bought it, lol), but it’s very squeaky on my fingers and the other strings sound very thin and tinny on the concert. I want to try a nylon low-G, but maybe on another uke. Decisions decisions!

North Hollywood is definitely a drive, especially with the never-ending traffic. I’m in the Torrance area. It’s definitely worth the trip if you ever want to try some top tier instruments!
Oh I see. Yes, so many decisions lol!

Hi Peggie, welcome to the UU Forum.

My first ukulele was a tenor Fender Nohea i bought on Amazon because I had some gift cards to use. It was an all-laminate Koa uke. I didn't know that unless the description says: "solid Koa" it's a laminate. I also didn't know about Nylon vs. Fluorocarbon strings. (I prefer Fluoros.) Nor about getting a ukulele setup properly to make it easier to play. The Fender sound pretty good, but trying to barre the first two frets were a bear. I played it about 6 months before I read about setups on the gotaukulele.com site. (A great resource for ukulele reviews, tips, and information. Run by Forum Member Barry Maz aka, "Baz.") And took it to a local music store where they lowered the very high nut and bridge.
I eventually donated it to a USO lounge at our local airport in La Crosse, Wisconsin. Next to the Mississippi River. I only play tenors. I love the tenor sound and they fit me well and feel right to me. I have tenros strung both Low-G (linear) and High-g (Re-entrant). Some songs sound better strummed Low-G and some High.

Singapore & Los Angeles! You must really like cities with lots of people. ;)

BTW, You'll have to check out the very well respected The Rebel Guitar & Ukulele company that makes, among others, "Cheesecake" and "Double Cheesecake" model ukuleles. They are located in Thailand. I think Mims Ukes https://mimsukes.com/ sells them as well as TheUkuleleSite.com (aka: TUS or HMS.)

Enjoy playing your Enya uke. It's a lovely instrument. Spruce/Rosewood is one of my favorite wood combinations.

Most importantly, have fun.

Last edited:
Hi Peggie, welcome to the UU Forum.

My first ukulele was a tenor Fender Nohea i bought on Amazon because I had some gift cards to use. It was an all-laminate Koa uke. I didn't know that unless the description says: "solid Koa" it's a laminate. I also didn't know about Nylon vs. Fluorocarbon strings. (I prefer Fluoros.) Nor about getting a ukulele setup properly to make it easier to play. The Fender sound pretty good, but trying to barre the first two frets were a bear. I played it about 6 months before I read about setups on the gotaukulele.com site. (A great resource for ukulele reviews, tips, and information. Run by Forum Member Barry Maz aka, "Baz.") And took it to a local music store where they lowered the very high nut and bridge.
I eventually donated it to a USO lounge at our local airport in La Crosse, Wisconsin. Next to the Mississippi River. I only play tenors. I love the tenor sound and they fit me well and feel right to me. I have tenros strung both Low-G (linear) and High-g (Re-entrant). Some songs sound better strummed Low-G and some High.

Singapore & Los Angeles! You must really like cities with lots of people. ;)

BTW, You'll have to check out the very well respected The Rebel Guitar & Ukulele company that makes, among others, "Cheesecake" and "Double Cheesecake" model ukuleles. They are located in Thailand. I think Mims Ukes https://mimsukes.com/ sells them as well as TheUkuleleSite.com (aka: TUS or HMS.)

Enjoy playing your Enya uke. It's a lovely instrument. Spruce/Rosewood is one of my favorite wood combinations.

Most importantly, have fun.
Hi Ken! Did you say Cheesecake Ukulele?! Sounds like a delicious uke :p

It's great that you donated your first uke! I've not been to Wisconsin before, I imagine it to be really cold and snowy :D It's off topic, but last week, I bought an O&H Danish Kringle at Trader Joe's here in LA and it was really good.

Oh yes, I've watched a few of Barry's ukulele video reviews and read a few articles on his website as well. Thank you for sharing your first ukulele experience and for the warm welcome, I'll be checking out Mim's Ukes and The Rebel Guitar & Ukulele company :D

Top Bottom