Hi from the Nations Oldest City - St Augustine, FL

This is the place to be! Welcome from your neighbor down here in Naples!

Welcome to UU and welcome to retirement. Perfect time to focus on learning ukulele. You've heard the old saying..."sure I have a retirement plan, I plan to play my ukulele!"

We welcome 'young' puppies: ;)
From 2 hours north of El Paso, IL

Last edited:
Welcome to UU, but...

Oldest city? What "nation"? I think there are some native American settlements that pre-date that by over 1000 years... How is this claim made?

Curious...

Welcome to UU, Acquestinc!
Uke and harmonica fit nicely together. I wish you lots of fun exploring the forums and pratising your playing skills!

I always love taking foreign friends to St Augustine, especially to see the cannons shoot at the pirate ships. Welcome to UU. Have fun.

Thats a bunch of fun, we take friends there too and always enjoy it.
I also used to take them to the gulf coast to see the sunset, usually Naples. Sunrise in Ft. Lauderdale, Sunset in Naples all in one day is pretty cool.

Hi Acquestinc, welcome to the UU Forum.

Look up Lil Rev. He's an outstanding musician, performer, and instructor. He teaches excellent workshops across the country in both ukulele and harmonica. (He was a national Blues Harmonica champion.) And has authored several instructional books and online videos.

His home base is Milwaukee, WI.

Lil' Rev

Was coming to do my own intro and saw your post from St. Augustine. A local for me, we do have a group here I’m looking forward to meeting up with them, I’m a definite noob to the ukulele and loving it.

Welcome to UU, but...

Oldest city? What "nation"? I think there are some native American settlements that pre-date that by over 1000 years... How is this claim made?

Curious...
The St Augustine city website says "Founded in 1565, St. Augustine is the oldest continuously occupied settlement of European and African-American origin in the United States.", so yes, they are intentionally excluding certain cities. For example, some today's cities in Hawaii were founded by the native Hawaiians around 1100 AD and their descendants have lived there ever since.

Last edited:
The St Augustine city website says "Founded in 1565, St. Augustine is the oldest continuously occupied settlement of European and African-American origin in the United States.", so yes, they are intentionally excluding certain cities. For example, some today's cities in Hawaii were founded by the native Hawaiians around 1100 AD and their descendants have lived there ever since.
The Hohokam civilization started building their cities in the (American) south-west about 300 BC... the canals they built to bring water to the desert were re-constructed by the Mormons in the 1870's and supplied them with water for decades...

The Mesa Verde constructions began about 500 AD and continued for about 800 years...

So sure, as long as we ignore the fact that millions of Native Americans were already living here in the 1400's (which we seem to do with alarming ease) then St. Augustine does appear pretty old.

I live right around the corner in St. John's, =) welcome to the site. St. Augustine is beautiful and most of us understood what you meant when you said "The Nation's Oldest City"... Y'all put on an awesome 4th of July fireworks show by the way!

Top Bottom