Hi; I am from The US. I play Zager ZAD-9000

apolyak

Reaction score
Hi;
I bought this guitar in December 2023. I love the sound and the appearance, but...
1. In order to make it playable I had to lover string height at the nut, otherwise I could not take a bar on the first fret. That was risky but paid-off;
2. The string height adjustment is convenient but for some reason the buzzing comes and goes so I have to use the adjustment more than I'd like;
3. If you use a Capo' during a song for modulation, forget about Zager. Neck shape is such that Capo doesn't hold on to it at the Nut;
4. Polished Neck doesn't make it easier to play, but rather requires extra force to hold on to during play. I prefer satin finish of my Martin or Segull
Other than that, I'd say it is a decent instrument, athough quite a bit over-priced.
At the end of the day I prefer my modified Seagull S6-DLX.

Welcome to the Ukulele Underground Forum apolyak.

I confess, I have not heard of Zager guitars. Can you post a photo?

There are different types and designs of capos available, even the old homemade ones using a rubber band and a pencil. I suspect that there might be one that will work on your Zager.

Yeah, I prefer a satin neck as well. But then again, I don't play guitar.

Welcome to the Ukulele Underground Forum apolyak.

I confess, I have not heard of Zager guitars. Can you post a photo?

There are different types and designs of capos available, even the old homemade ones using a rubber band and a pencil. I suspect that there might be one that will work on your Zager.

Yeah, I prefer a satin neck as well. But then again, I don't play guitar.
Thank you for asking, Kenn;
On the photo I am attaching you will see that neck transition is right under the nut, so spring loaded Capo' just slides off the nut. I need it on the nut to modulate from E to F during a song. Almost impossible.

Attachments

• 20240624_123202.jpg
    20240624_123202.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240624_123149.jpg
    20240624_123149.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240624_123135.jpg
    20240624_123135.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to UU, apolyak!
I don't tend to use capos, but I can imagine that a volute could challenge a capo.

Sure, neither do I, but on the first fret I prefer using it.

Hi apolyak, welcome to Ukulele Underground.

Beautiful guitar! Now, the burning question: Why sign up on a ukulele forum to post about your guitars?

Not sure myself. I thought it is a wider guitar forum, not just the balalaika's.
welcome apolyak :) there is a related guitar board and even a recent-ish review of the Zagers, if you haven't already seen it:

Hi;
I bought this guitar in December 2023. I love the sound and the appearance, but...
1. In order to make it playable I had to lover string height at the nut, otherwise I could not take a bar on the first fret. That was risky but paid-off;
2. The string height adjustment is convenient but for some reason the buzzing comes and goes so I have to use the adjustment more than I'd like;
3. If you use a Capo' during a song for modulation, forget about Zager. Neck shape is such that Capo doesn't hold on to it at the Nut;
4. Polished Neck doesn't make it easier to play, but rather requires extra force to hold on to during play. I prefer satin finish of my Martin or Segull
Other than that, I'd say it is a decent instrument, athough quite a bit over-priced.
At the end of the day I prefer my modified Seagull S6-DLX.
I own a Zager, one of the 900 series but never had issues with the capo. They fit perfectly for easier playability. I don't recommend lowering string height at the nut until the woods from the build settle. If you lower now it will go lower later and you will have buzzing as you are having now.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Zager has a satin neck like Martin and Taylors. I own a D45 too, it's pretty cool though, but for the playability, I prefer the Zager.

Top Bottom