History of The Harmony Company

Larry U

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I was researching my recently acquired Supertone Soprano ukulele and came across this fascinating and detailed history of the Harmony Company of Chicago, IL. Harmony was a huge manufacturer of stringed instruments, including thousands (tens? hundreds? a million?) of ukuleles throughout most of the twentieth century. In addition to the well-written article, there are many interesting historical photographs. If you're into vintage instruments and history, you might enjoy reading this one.

History of the Harmony Company

Last edited:
Thanks Larry,great article. I recently bought a 1960's baritone in fantastic condition,it's a beauty.

Couldn't open the link. I am very interested in the story. My first guitar in 1963 was a Harmony.

I have read that before. Fascinating. They made a massive number of instruments

Thanks, the link worked now. I learned to play guitar on a huge Harmony arch top that was a real challenge to my 12 year old hands. My mom would take me to the nursing home where she worked to play for the residents. Thanks for bringing back those great memories for me!

My first guitar in 1973 was a Harmony Stella. Sure wish I still had it today.

I had one of these. Shouldn't have let it go but what did I know? By the time I got it, the pickguard was gone and I added a somewhat matching upper thumb rest block 'cause that's how I played. Had a Silvertone 1484 2x12" w/reverb+tremolo amp stack. I really loved the tremolo.

The bass (used) was $50, the amp maybe $150 new... I don't recall. My next bass was a very red 1967 Hagstrom. That, I remember, was $150. It's long gone, too. Shortly after that got a car and went chasin' wimmin' full-time! Aaah-Oooh!

I gotta go dig out my The Cryin' Shames "Crack in The Sky" CD.

Attachments

• 1965-Harmony-H22.jpg
    1965-Harmony-H22.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Silvertone - 1965.jpg
    Silvertone - 1965.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 1967 Hagstrom.jpg
    1967 Hagstrom.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
My first guitar was a Harmony, BobKat Silhouette around 1970. Way newer than the uke craze Harmonys, but a very nice guitar. Played through a Fender Princeton amp. The good old days.

1702954350457.png...1702954837085.png

That was great - thanks so much for posting that! My 1st three guitars - and even my first amp - in the early 1960s were all Harmonys! I also had a mahogany baritone uke that served as my travel guitar - I played it in the back seat of the car on long trips up to ski country!

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I enjoy reading stories like this and had little awareness of Harmony as it was before my time. Notable that their late 50s uke ad still refers to standard size.

Great story!
Bought a 1940 Harmony Johnny Marvin ukulele yesterday, waiting for it to arrive.

Top Bottom