Hmmm would you buy if you saw this?

Say it was a Moore Betah, Oh Yea. If a Devine - Oh yeah, etc. I can keep going on and on. Yep

If it’s fixed; and you can buy into the idea of owning the instrument with its flaws, then why not. If it’s not fixed; then you may need to consider getting it fixed to mitigate any future issues. My Kamaka HF-1D is like that to me. A very rare uke from the time period so some needing restoration didn’t really keep me from buying it. In fact; the rarity made me want it more!

Crazing is a word I did not know, but I’ve looked it up. An interesting question.

Crazing, no problem, cracks, no way.

Cracks scare me. I might take a chance if it is really cheap. Sometimes cracks are stable, but how can you tell even if you can physically inspect the ukulele? If they say it was repaired, did they slip some super glue in the crack or did they install a wooden cleat from the inside? I do not own any cracked ukuleles and I am happy with that.

Crazing is cosmetic. Cracks are structural and should be repaired or at least stabilized.

If you saw a dream uke that was only in your price range because it has a crack and some crazing but does not affect playability or sound quality, would you bite?
Yup! Ukes are kinda like people in that we need to see past their flaws and accept the good they bring to the world.

Last edited:
Crazing is a word I did not know, but I’ve looked it up. An interesting question.

The sunburst Goya M-26 was like that when I bought it. I don't mind it at all.
My brother's Martin D-18 was in the trunk of a car in extremely cold weather.He brought it inside and the next morning, when we decided to have a tune before he left for Montreal, he saw this crazing when he opened the case. He was devastated, but we all thought it sounded a lot better with the crazing.
I don't have any crazed ukuleles.
crazing on Goya.jpg. D-18crazing.jpg

The sunburst Goya M-26 was like that when I bought it. I don't mind it at all.
My brother's Martin D-18 was in the trunk of a car in extremely cold weather.He brought it inside and the next morning, when we decided to have a tune before he left for Montreal, he saw this crazing when he opened the case. He was devastated, but we all thought it sounded a lot better with the crazing.
I don't have any crazed ukuleles.
View attachment 167872. View attachment 167873
I do enjoy the crazing on an old classical guitar I own. Extra vintage looking without relicing.

If you saw a dream uke that was only in your price range because it has a crack and some crazing but does not affect playability or sound quality, would you bite?
Not about a uke and not a dream instrument, but I have a Korean made Yamaha BB-300 that was a mess when I bought it. The finish is rattle can green, it has a gold Badass bridge painted black, a tiny hole in the headstock from a tuner installation, an unknown pickup that’s very well made, and when I found her she had a twist in the neck. Despite all that, I couldn’t set her down. I just bonded with that bass, plus the weight was just right, 8lbs. I walked out the door with her in a nice gigbag for $60. A now retired luthier friend of mine, was, at the time that I bought the BB, still learning and practicing the art of refretting instruments. The BB was the first instrument he ever fully refretted on his own. It took him a couple of days to do it, but it turned out great plus it was free.

I still own that Yamaha. I had some pretty nice basses, including a shockingly light ‘77 P-bass, that were rarely played because that BB IS my bass. It’s an ugly cheap mess that just feels and sounds right to me. All my other basses ended up funding a few early uke purchases. lol So if it’s something that can be fixed and you are capable of doing it yourself or have the means to pay for someone else to do it, absolutely go for it.

Are you willing to share what the dream ukulele is? Someone else got this one, but you never know what someone here might be willing to part with.

Reactions: TBB
Top Bottom