Honolulu airport prohibits playing musical instruments

I saw him play at the L.A. Slack Key Guitar Festival in January, and spoke with him briefly. I've always loved his playing and I fully understand the law, but my heart would have broken for him if I had been there, listening, and had seen him being stopped from playing. That is all.

The intention of the law was to keep out the Hare Krishnas. When you get a group of twenty of them with their drums and finger cymbals they were a real nuisance.

There was a time way back when Hare Krishnas seemed to be in all airports all the time, and that was a real problem. My guess is that the law, while targeting Hare Krishnas, had to have been written broadly enough to avoid the accusation that it was targeting a certain religious group and violating that group's right to religious expression. By being broad enough to survive a constitutional challenge, the law also seems to cover pretty much all music, not just hare Krishna music. That's unfortunate. I can't think of anyone who would want to be "protected" from hearing Led Kaapana perform.

Even if one can conjure up some sort of justification for a rule restricting some kinds of live music in an airport, it ought to be at least a Class A misdemeanor to interfere with Led while he's playing. Anywhere.

Im sure if the security guard had used his discretion and realized it was and outdated law, things would be different
Some people just follow things by the book without thinking of the concequences

Last edited:
Wow, I've played plenty of times at HNL, most recently in November and February. I typically play outdoors in the small grassy area between the main and the inter island terminals but I've also strummed in the "old" garden area encircled by the main terminal (which is now partially closed for refurbishing). Never played loud, just played softly by myself, just sitting on a bench in the shade. One time a group of Hawaiian Air employees came up behind me and clapped when I finished (and was *I* shocked--I think it was their good nature bringing on the applause, not my playing). I've also played in the grassy area and had birds climb around me while playing (I kept the case closed!).

This news just makes me sad. I understand the dislike for large, loud groups (but how would they get past TSA anyway, without a boarding pass???) but what's next, banning playing on the beach? I'm so sorry Led was made to feel unwelcome with his own special Hawaiian sound in the airport that's on the island that's sometimes referred to as "The Gathering Place." Hmpf...

Of course, I guess if we were all HA Premier members we could head to their airline club at the airport on Fridays the for live pau hana music they host. Oh, wait...I always fly coach ;)

For a place so dependent on a tourist economy, the Honolulu airport is an absolute armpit.

Led should be welcomed.

With all the people saying they have played at this airport I wonder if someone dumbass complained and that is why something was said to him about playing. Let's face it, we all know law enforcement can do so at their discretion. It happens everyday.

With all the people saying they have played at this airport I wonder if someone dumbass complained and that is why something was said to him about playing. Let's face it, we all know law enforcement can do so at their discretion. It happens everyday.
That is what I'm guessing.

Hawaii International is trying to avoid this:
machine gun.jpg

Common sense has went out the window apparently. I am sure the law is there for good reason, like the Hare Krishna's mentioned, but come on, this is practically an advertisement for the state - a state which is hugely reliant on tourism. smh

I pretty much always have an ukulele when I travel. I will often play quietly, and refrain from singing, when I have time to kill at the airport. If there are many people around, I will not play or move to a less crowded area.
It is a real shame that Led was asked to stop playing at Honolulu airport, I cannot imagine that happening at Kona, Hilo, or Lihue - not sure if someone complained or if the guard was just worried that his boss would see that he was not 'enforcing the rules' and get in trouble.

Yes, there is the Hawaiian Airlines lounge with live Hawaiian music at the Honolulu airport so clearly there are SOME places that music is allowed to be played.

Hopefully they will figure it out.

Top Bottom