How are the Seasons intimidating or exclusive?

Voran

Reaction score
I'm genuinely trying to understand here. I promise I'll refrain from using the words "scorpion" or "rectum".

I just do not see how the Seasons can be exclusive or elitist when most of us just record from our living rooms. Sure - you CAN record higher end music videos if you want to. It's not required. But I personally do not see how things could be any LESS elitist.

It also unsettles me a bit that someone - I forget who - actually accused themselves of being intimidating by posting "polished" videos. That's getting a little bit janteloeven for my liking. Are we not supposed to make the effort to be good at things?

It was a huge overreaction to a very polite request from the host to post entries on YouTube. And I am hugely annoyed by the damage it may do to the reputation of the Seasons, and the changes that may consequently be wrought upon us by those who control the forum. Crazy!

I don't want to dig into anyone's vulnerabilities but I also genuinely do not get how the seasons could be any LESS elitist.

I'm genuinely trying to understand here.

And I am hugely annoyed by the damage it may do to the reputation of the Seasons, and the changes that may consequently be wrought upon us by those who control the forum. Crazy!

I'm afraid that neither of you are listening to the members who are telling you exactly why and how they feel unwelcome. I spent a month writing a carefully considered 3000 word post chock full of very specific details, and you're just telling me that everything is fine.

Fine for you, yes. Fine for the rest of the community, absolutely not.

That's not to say that any changes are going to be forced on anyone. I said very plainly that they're suggestions.

I don't know. Is the 14 times I used the word "suggestion" in the other post (yes, I just counted) not enough? Did I give too many examples specific reasons of why other people feel shut out for you to be able to see them? Because there are over a dozen of those too.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the idea that mere suggestions threaten to ruin the forum, or continued defensiveness rather than reading people's specific replies already given might -- might -- be an example of the hostility that outsiders have regularly mentioned experiencing if they dare stick their noses into the Seasons.

If you don't want to change anything, nobody's making you. I'd ask simply that you read again the suggestions that I made in a spirit of building bridges between the Seasons and the rest of UU, and ask yourselves why that sounds like a threat to you.

Is there really not a single one of the suggestions I made that might be useful, even in a modified form? Not one? Or is hunkering down behind the barricades to be the order of them day?

Your forum, your call. 🤙🥑🍍

I'm afraid that neither of you are listening to the members who are telling you exactly why and how they feel unwelcome. I spent a month writing a carefully considered 3000 word post chock full of very specific details, and you're just telling me that everything is fine.

That's not to say that any changes are going to be forced on anyone. I said very plainly that they're suggestions.

I don't know. Is the 14 times I used the word "suggestion" in the other post (yes, I just counted) not enough? Did I give too many examples specific reasons of why other people feel shut out for you to be able to see them? Because there are over a dozen of those too.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the idea that mere suggestions threaten to ruin the forum, or continued defensiveness rather than reading people's specific replies already given might -- might -- be an example of the hostility that outsiders have regularly mentioned experiencing if they dare stick their noses into the Seasons.

If you don't want to change anything, nobody's making you. I'd ask simply that you read again the suggestions that I made in a spirit of building bridges between the Seasons and the rest of UU, and ask yourselves why that sounds like a threat to you.

Is there really not a single one of the suggestions I made that might be useful, even in a modified form? Not one? Or is hunkering down behind the barricades to be the order of them day?

Nobody said anything like that. No one said suggestions were ruining anything. I said I personally don't understand. I also think it's a bit much that you're making these drastic accusations of hostility. Come ON. You know me. If I wanted to be rude I could think of plenty of very colorful and graphic expressions to use.

You know what...I give up. I think I'll just go pick my nose.

I actually said this in the other thread, Tim:

More prominence on UU and more info about how to join in probably wouldn’t go amiss.

But I really don’t see a need for change beyond that. The Seasons has evolved to where it is now because the format is successful - it has always been welcoming and friendly to newcomers. And I hate the damage that’s being done to its reputation by those who are suggesting otherwise.

Last edited:

I’m offended by this, Tim.

Firstly, I have responded to some of the suggestions on the other thread in an open and honest way, and pointed out why some of the proposed changes wouldn’t work. This isn’t some kind of knee jerk defensiveness, just a more experienced voice of explanation.

And I have always been very welcoming to newcomers to the Seasons - ask anyone - and encouraged new participation from both inside and outside of UU.

And your suggestion that ‘outsiders‘ (your word not mine) have been regularly treated in a ‘hostile way’ for daring to ’stick their noses into the Seasons’ simply beggars belief!!!! Please elucidate, because I find it absolutely incredulous!

people tell us why and a couple of very vocal seasonistas tell them they're wrong and then post a thread like this
if it was welcoming and inclusive participation would be growing but that is not the case
i will opine that youtube and having to have a youtube channel is an issue for some
the time frame for participation may also be an issue but that is part of the challenge
finding a song to fit the theme and owning your performance is also a challenge
but it is meant to be a (personal) challenge
i will state that all levels of uke ability have always been welcome
and although it was once a competition it is no longer so
the fact that the home of the seasons is in the contest section would also be intimidating for some
you do have to be able to cope with other seasonistas and internet behaviour - but that is the case where ever you spend your web time .....

people tell us why and a couple of very vocal seasonistas tell them they're wrong and then post a thread like this
if it was welcoming and inclusive participation would be growing but that is not the case
i will opine that youtube and having to have a youtube channel is an issue for some
the time frame for participation may also be an issue but that is part of the challenge
finding a song to fit the theme and owning your performance is also a challenge
but it is meant to be a (personal) challenge
i will state that all levels of uke ability have always been welcome
and although it was once a competition it is no longer so
the fact that the home of the seasons is in the contest section would also be intimidating for some
you do have to be able to cope with other seasonistas and internet behaviour - but that is the case where ever you spend your web time .....
A Youtube channel? The thing you can easily sign up for in a few seconds?

I am unable to respond further as this post gave me an aneurysm. I am now lying dead on the floor in a pool of my own piss.

I don’t participate in Seasons, so please don’t jump on me for commenting here.

I‘ve been in the forum for a number of years but didn’t know that Seasons even existed for a long time. Once I bumped into it, I was enjoying listening to videos & dared to leave an enthusiastic comment. I was chewed out so strongly that I haven’t ventured back to an area of the forum that didn’t welcome me.

I understood it to be a contest. Apparently it’s not? I think clarifying what it is and that comments are not welcome would be a good idea.

I have no idea how to record anything, don’t have a YT account. It sounds like those of us who are low tech people are causing people to pick their noses & have aneurysms. I don’t mind the nose picking but would hate to cause an aneurysm. Are low tech people not welcome?

Those of you who are active in it like things the way they are. Fair enough. If the rest of us are being excluded, (can’t even tell you I really liked your video let alone participate in any other way?), then maybe it is a bit like Tim’s party description.

Well, the neighbors seem to have finally stopped shooting off firecrackers & fireworks & terrorizing my dogs with their noise, so I’ll stop worrying about all the nose picking, hand you all some tissues & some hand sanitizer, & go have some happy dreams.

I was chewed out so strongly that I haven’t ventured back to an area of the forum that didn’t welcome me…
I’m really sorry to hear that, @Joyful Uke - comments are encouraged and welcomed from everyone, but ideally on YouTube so that the thread doesn’t get cluttered, as it otherwise would. But there’s no excuse if that wasn’t pointed out in a polite and friendly way. 😢

. Are low tech people not welcome?
Everyone is welcome… the more the merrier! :)

And in spite of some of what’s been said in this thread, I’d like to repeat what I just posted elsewhere:

…and can I just make a general comment about @TimWilson? He’s doing a fantastic job for the whole forum. And I’m not just saying that because he left a lovely comment on my latest Seasons video! 😆 I did actually PM him a few days back to thank him. I know he is doing this for all the right reasons! 👍🏼

Thank you, Tim! :)

I think this is already being discussed on another thread so I won’t comment here ;)

Fair enough, but who decides what is quality? By what criteria are you judging that? I am genuinely interested to know.

I've got seasons on my ignore list. Not because I think it's elitist, I just hate the name. Why not Song of the week? Or This Week in Ukulele? Or anything else. Seasons of the Ukulele sounds so....elitist, or maybe, they were trying too hard to sound interesting and failed.

I think the Seasons section is a very special culture to itself. Like any other forum or group: generally, it's probably a good idea to spend a little time (or maybe a lot of time) lurking before leaping. I do get the feeling that the Seasonistas aren't TRYING to be exclusive, and I understand the horrified reaction that such an accusation could create.

I wouldn't suggest "elitist", I don't think that's appropriate. Exclusive, not in a classist sort of way, more in a "you don't belong if you can't figure it out" sort of way. To me, as an outsider, it has come across that way, just because it is somewhat obscure and hard to understand, especially if the only way you view these Season's threads is through the New Posts section. Yup if I were absolutely determined to participate, I would dig a lot harder to figure out what to do. That's what I've done in other instances. So I'm not the right target market for the Seasons, obviously, other than periodically to watch what's been posted.

I will keep my eyes peeled for other challenges if they arise, if they are longer term and not exclusively using YT. mountain goat's challenge last year was something I was working towards but didn't get there; if something along those lines happened again, I am probably in a better space to attempt it now.

(I'm not going to bother to comment in a SOTU thread, now that I understand it's really not appropriate on that platform (makes sense))

I don’t participate in Seasons, so please don’t jump on me for commenting here.

I‘ve been in the forum for a number of years but didn’t know that Seasons even existed for a long time. Once I bumped into it, I was enjoying listening to videos & dared to leave an enthusiastic comment. I was chewed out so strongly that I haven’t ventured back to an area of the forum that didn’t welcome me.

I understood it to be a contest. Apparently it’s not? I think clarifying what it is and that comments are not welcome would be a good idea.

I have no idea how to record anything, don’t have a YT account. It sounds like those of us who are low tech people are causing people to pick their noses & have aneurysms. I don’t mind the nose picking but would hate to cause an aneurysm. Are low tech people not welcome?

Those of you who are active in it like things the way they are. Fair enough. If the rest of us are being excluded, (can’t even tell you I really liked your video let alone participate in any other way?), then maybe it is a bit like Tim’s party description.

Well, the neighbors seem to have finally stopped shooting off firecrackers & fireworks & terrorizing my dogs with their noise, so I’ll stop worrying about all the nose picking, hand you all some tissues & some hand sanitizer, & go have some happy dreams.
If someone has chewed you out Joyful, that is not on at all. I do have to say, if someone was rude to me or called me out on Seasons, or any other forum for that matter, and with no good reason, I think two possible, and excellent responses you have at your disposal are a) the Ignore button, if someone is trying to grind your gears, you can actively ignore their nonsense and b) stick around, if your presence annoys someone small minded enough, then don’t give them the satisfaction of beating you into a corner, or disappearing out of sight. Stay and play :)

If someone has chewed you out Joyful, that is not on at all. I do have to say, if someone was rude to me or called me out on Seasons, or any other forum for that matter, and with no good reason, I think two possible, and excellent responses you have at your disposal are a) the Ignore button, if someone is trying to grind your gears, you can actively ignore their nonsense and b) stick around, if your presence annoys someone small minded enough, then don’t give them the satisfaction of beating you into a corner, or disappearing out of sight. Stay and play :)
I do agree with this, although the latter is easier said than done sometimes, especially when you're new. I hope that in the future we can keep this in mind and look out for this sort of bad behaviour and call people out on it.

For what it's worth, sometimes I have a rotten day at work or whatever and get grumpy or forget to say thank you or something like that. I really hope I've never got grumpy at people on this forum because of it, but for goodness sake please call me out on it if I ever am!

These days my favourite thing to do after a bad day at work is to get my uke out and make a racket. Or, on occasion, write a silly song about it. Sometimes I post it to the current Season if it happens to fit. I heartily encourage this approach.

Top Bottom