How are the Seasons intimidating or exclusive?

Re The Seasons name. I have no idea why it’s called Seasons. I think the reason is lost in the mists of time……. Or not, maybe someone knows why. Sure it’s only a name, it could be called any number of more literal things, “The Weekly Uke Challenge”, “Play A Uke Tune”, or any number of suitable things that, as descriptors, would give a newbie more of an idea of what is going on than something vague like “Seasons of the Ukulele”. What does that even mean? I’m quite attached to “Seasons” though. As a name it intrigued me, and pulled my in. And I like the term “Seasonista” for those who take part. I like that it is not and never has been an exclusive club, anyone who posts even one song is a Seasonista. Of course, no one is obliged to think of themself as such, but personally, I like being a Seasonista.

Re The Seasons name. I have no idea why it’s called Seasons. I think the reason is lost in the mists of time……. Or not, maybe someone knows why. Sure it’s only a name, it could be called any number of more literal things, “The Weekly Uke Challenge”, “Play A Uke Tune”, or any number of suitable things that, as descriptors, would give a newbie more of an idea of what is going on than something vague like “Seasons of the Ukulele”. What does that even mean? I’m quite attached to “Seasons” though. As a name it intrigued me, and pulled my in. And I like the term “Seasonista” for those who take part. I like that it is not and never has been an exclusive club, anyone who posts even one song is a Seasonista. Of course, no one is obliged to think of themself as such, but personally, I like being a Seasonista.
I absolutely INSIST on remaining a "Seasonista!" (I have actually never stopped to think what "Seasons of the Ukulele" means, but I WANT TO BE A "SEASONISTA" ... so there!")

Hey! Calm down Val! No one, but NO ONE, is gonna take being a Seasonista away from you! <wafts smelling salts under Val’s nose>. Now, sit down beneath the shade of a tree in that beautiful garden of yours and have a glass of something fortifying! You know it makes sense! 🍷
Very many thanks for the kind advice, John ... but it's raining!

The unexpected happens, I posted a video to the seasons part of a Sermon by John Donne, and in that sermon were the words "an equal music"

It was then pointed out to me in a comment that Vikram Seth had written a novel call "An equal music" which explores the dynamic of musicians in a classical quartet an how they relate to each other... Wikipedia was effusive about Seth writing style and I was intrigued.

So much so that I had to find out more and by delving deeper I found a video by Robert Adams which gave an in depth analysis of the novel and some facts about Seth... for instance he walked 4000 miles from China to his home in Calcutta... now that alone makes for an interesting man.

But what captivated me most was the oratory style of Robert Adams a welshman who must have inherited his oratory skills from the old welsh preachers... the passion for the novel and the exposition were exquisite and firey... as I lay in bed this morning listening to him speak in such an erudite and illuminating fashion the words were like music... a one equal music... and an hour had passed before I knew it.

So you see if you send a song to the seasons you never know where you will be transported to.

I think all of you Seasonistas are fabulous and talented and funny and you obviously love welcoming new participants. But you’re not quite as welcoming to viewers. A Seasons episode is, after all, a thread in a forum, and threads are open to posting by all UU members.

I understand that, as @joo says …

not everyone enjoys the banter or commenting. They just wanna share their videos or songs.

Fine. Ignore the comments from non-participants. But accept that you’re posting your performance in a thread on a forum, and that you’re gonna get comments about how wonderful you are. Don’t regard them as a nuisance that clutters the thread.

Last edited:
I think all of you Seasonistas are fabulous and talented and funny and you obviously love welcoming new participants. But you’re not quite as welcoming to viewers. A Seasons episode is, after all, a thread in a forum, and threads are open to posting by all UU members.

Fine. Ignore the comments from non-participants. But accept that you’re posting your performance in a thread on a forum, and that you’re gonna get comments about how wonderful you are. Don’t regard them as a nuisance that clutters the thread.
Agreed, Patty -- I have left comments in the forum, not knowing at the time that there was a custom/prohibition/suggestion that it not be done. Certainly didn't mean to disturb anybody -- quite the opposite, in fact.

I think (at least I hope) that all the Seasonistas who've participated in this thread and related ones have made it clear that we want to be welcoming and want to understand the complaints that other forum participants seem to have about us. The YouTube commenting thing seems to be the latest one.

There is a custom that comments are left on YouTube, definitely, and I really hope we've successfully explained the reason for that. It's not because we want to be exclusive, it is a matter of keeping the thread manageable for everyone. But it's a custom. It's not a prohibition, and although a couple of people have been rude to those who have posted on threads (which they shouldn't have been, and I apologise on their behalf, and will call people out of I see it in future) by and large people just let it go and even typically respond with a thank you.

Next time I host (which will be in a couple of weeks) I will say something along the following lines in the rules:
  • Please comment on the videos if you have time. Ideally, leave your comments on YouTube so that the posted videos don't get buried in the thread, but if you don't have a YouTube account don't worry about leaving comments here.
We are trying to understand. I promise. Personally I think this is a reasonable compromise that is the best we can do within the technical constraints we have on the forum. I know some people can be blunt, which is not my style, and I get that some people just aren't going to like the way we do things, but I honestly don't see how, as a group overall, we could be any more reasonable or accomodating.

Still, I would appreciate if people tried to understand where we're coming from too rather than repeating the complaints over and over...

I don't think I'm going to say any more on this, because we've reached a point where everyone's just repeating things that have been said before. I will try to find time to get an FAQ together.

Patty, I think you have misunderstood my post. I think maybe I wasn't clear in my words. Let me elaborate.
When I said : not everyone enjoys the banter or commenting. They just wanna share their videos or songs.
I was referring to possible "fear" or concern that UU members who are considering to take part in the Seasons might feel that they HAVE TO be engaging in some form of banter or that they have to be commenting a lot, IN ORDER to be a part of this community when they share their videos.
As someone who is more interested in checking out other people's music/videos, I can understand that there might be members who fear that they need to be quite vocal in order to take part. They don't! That's why I said what I said.

Don't get me wrong. I think banter is GREAT! Jokes are great! Silly (nor not) comments are great. It makes the Seasons fun and lighthearted. Makes you feel like you are hanging out with your friends. BUT, not everyone might feel comfortable doing that. Sometimes a few of us like to talk about the Ashes and the scores. Not everyone knows what the Ashes are, for example. And things like that might make a new member feel "excluded". But, if anyone doesn't get a joke or a comment that everyone else is laughing about, they can ask. Val has done that, just to give an example. She will just tell us she doesn't get the comment and we will explain to her. I sometimes don't get a joke, many jokes. But it's all good.

Actually, there are a few participants who have posted videos for ages but hardly comment on others' videos, and YES, most of the rest of us still show them support by commenting on their videos. We are really quite an easy and friendly lot. I feel that participants who are not interested in commenting on other people's videos only wanna share their own. But then again, how can I be sure to say that? Because they might be watching the videos posted, just not commenting, either because they are shy or whatever reason they might have. I know I have done that several times. I would put the playlist on while at work, and I listen to the songs, but my hands are doing my library tasks and I don't stop to comment. When I listen to the Seasons playlist that way, I don't even watch the videos. But I can tell who I am listening to. Sometimes I pause the playlist, to like or comment.
So, for this reason, I can understand how taking part in the Seasons can be intimidating to someone new who is not as comfortable to be engaging in conversations.

When Mark Suszko hosted and started commenting on videos on the thread, some people didn't like that. I personally did not think what Mark did was an issue at all, because it IS NICE to read comments here! But I noticed that Mark did have the tendency to comment on a video few posts or pages back without clicking "reply to" or "quote post", and people reading his comments have no idea what song/video he was commenting on.
That is an easy thing to fix, and I hope that Mark has figured that out by now.

As for Seasonistas or other UU members commenting on videos ON THE FORUM here, I personally DON'T HAVE an issue with that either. And, I am sure, very sure, that other seasonistas don't have a problem with "visitors" commenting on our videos here! It is all appreciated! BUT, what a few of our friends have stressed, and I agree, is that, if you have everyone commenting on videos here on the thread, we could very likely end up with a sea of words. I am getting overwhelmed and dizzy just trying to read everything on these recent "Seasons Improvement" threads, I can imagine if everyone starts typing their comments here, it will make the seasons a bit like a novel.😅 I am not sure I will personally enjoy that! But that is just me.

I think the Seasons is fine the way it is. Like I said in my post, no one should feel obligated to be a certain way here. I trust anyone who is interested to even come visit the Seasons and take part in it, either by commenting or posting, come here to enjoy some music, make some friends, have a nice time.

Yes, I totally understand it sucks to be told how to show your appreciation! So far, it is not like there has been tons of comments on the thread, so I don't think it is a problem that you or anyone else commenting here will clutter the pages up. DON'T STOP LOVING US!!!

I think it is when Tim suggested that we have comments here instead of on YouTube videos, that a few of us get a bit concerned.
I appreciate what Tim has done and is trying to do, it is all for the love of the Seasons.

I personally think the Seasons is fine the way it is. More people (either posters or visitors) commenting will be great, preferably on YouTube.
I think we just play by how each of us feel most comfortable for us.

Patty, I think none of the seasons people here is not welcoming to the comments on their videos, either here or on YT. (except the said person in my post who does not welcome my comments).

Yep!

I’m a Seasonista!

(At least, as I now understand the term, I’m in the club simply because I’ve posted SOTU covers in the past.)
Since, like the great Groucho stated, “I refuse to join any club that will admit me”, this was the best possible outcome for me.
If you accept the “club” premise, I enjoy SOTU far more than Rotary luncheons, Optimist fundraisers and BNI elevator- speech bragfests.

After dispelling my initial confusion that Seasonistas were pensioners who live full time in RVs and virtually/ electronically collaborate on Forum, I’ve never given a moment’s thought to the name. It is what it is and if it bears a certain odd mystique, so be it.

I fear we’re nearing the ad nauseam tipping point for cussing/ discussing a UUF icon that is generally loved and respected but may just possibly - in the various ways Mod Tim very clearly, kindly and tactfully described- be improved.
Aloha!
Clark

Also, to spend 2-4 minutes on someone's video, pay attention to their music, and then to react and type a comment, that is definitely more demanding than to read some funny line.
This is very, very true. Seasonistas put a LOT of effort towards being present, not only in the process of creating something and posting, but in being involved in everyone else's work. I have been so impressed by the amazing community of support that the Seasonistas provide: it represents a much deeper involvement and commitment than does just reading and replying to comments.

Moderator hat going on here (I'll try to keep it brief, I think the Seasonistas are wearing thin on this topic):
  • Thanks to everyone who participated with thoughtful comments.
  • Thanks to Seasonistas for their very thoughtful considerations of these ideas.
  • Thank you for explaining why commenting in thread becomes cumbersome to the purpose of the thread itself (i.e. showcasing the Seasonostas' participations in that week's SOTU)
  • Please consider that while Tim's suggestions come from intentions of supporting community and improving functionality (from the forum's perspective) some also arise from his job at keeping the forum from becoming an overwhelming financial burden to the business that generously keeps it online. Improving traffic to, improving visibility of, generating comments in, increasing membership and increasing participation across the forum, all work towards helping this goal.
I think anyone who's had enough of this conversation ought to hit that ignore button now, if you haven't already, but I would encourage any other Seasonistas with their thoughts on Tim's suggestions to weigh in. Otherwise, I do think there is a very reasonable sample of responses to those suggestions that we can consider next steps to offer.

Amie
Moderator Team

Moderator hat going on here (I'll try to keep it brief, I think the Seasonistas are wearing thin on this topic):
  • Thanks to everyone who participated with thoughtful comments.
  • Thanks to Seasonistas for their very thoughtful considerations of these ideas.
  • Thank you for explaining why commenting in thread becomes cumbersome to the purpose of the thread itself (i.e. showcasing the Seasonostas' participations in that week's SOTU)
  • Please consider that while Tim's suggestions come from intentions of supporting community and improving functionality (from the forum's perspective) some also arise from his job at keeping the forum from becoming an overwhelming financial burden to the business that generously keeps it online. Improving traffic to, improving visibility of, generating comments in, increasing membership and increasing participation across the forum, all work towards helping this goal.
I think anyone who's had enough of this conversation ought to hit that ignore button now, if you haven't already, but I would encourage any other Seasonistas with their thoughts on Tim's suggestions to weigh in. Otherwise, I do think there is a very reasonable sample of responses to those suggestions that we can consider next steps to offer.

Amie
Moderator Team
For crying out loud. I posted this to the wrong thread. How did I manage that?! Shows what happens when trying to do stuff on a mobile while on a trip 🙄

I absolutely INSIST on remaining a "Seasonista!"

As an alternative to Seasonistas, how about Condiments? (Think about it!) 😆

(When I saw a thread listed in the ‘latest posts‘ list called ‘Condiments’, I genuinely assumed somebody was suggesting exactly that as an alternative! Turns out it was from the ‘Food’ sub-forum, and they were actually just talking about… well… condiments! 🫣😳😆)

I'm an old(ish)-timer here and I remember the days pre-SOTU. There were a fair number of contests then and I was keenly interested in throwing my hat in... tried to work up songs a couple of times but didn't make the deadlines, etc., but was determined to make it into one sooner or later. I loved the idea of the theme challenges, and deadlines (and prizes), and looked forward to participating.
Then came the conversion to the whole "seasons" thing, and honestly- I quickly started to be confused by it all.. instead of individual, digestible contests, it was somehow one continuous, connected thread.... I felt like an idiot because I couldn't make heads or tails out of it (and it was brand new)! I tried for a while, but every week I didn't participate I felt further behind and more out of the loop. Eventually my brain melted and I gave up.
That was my experience. I'm not saying anyone was trying to be elitist or exclusive or anything like that (and I commend anyone willing to create/promote/host group participation activities)... but I suddenly felt on the outside, unable to understand how things worked.
I'm able to record audio and video, I have a (neglected) YouTube channel... I'm far from an expert but I'm not a neophyte, so I'm not intimidated by any of the technical hurdles.
Now, as I'm trying to pare down my collection and put an end to my decades-long uke-buying frenzy, I thought I'd focus less time on the marketplace and revisit some of the other community boards the forum has to offer. I started by looking at the SOTU page (to try once again to see if I could make sense of it) and discovered this thread.

When you try to learn something new and you just can't figure it out, it can make you feel stupid, and people react to that feeling in different ways- I got frustrated and quietly bowed out, but some of the defensiveness that has been discussed here might come from a similar place? It's definitely an uncomfortable and unpleasant feeling.

By contrast, MountainGoat's stand-alone contest from a while back is easy to understand. If I had been paying attention back then (instead of buying more ukuleles) I would have loved to participate.

I don't know what changes should be made, if any, but I do think that hearing each other and trying to find ways to be inclusive and inviting is generally a good way to go.
I hope things get hammered out to everyone's ultimate satisfaction.

All that said, I'm grateful for this forum, this community and the moderators that keep the gears oiled and turnin'!

I'm an old(ish)-timer here and I remember the days pre-SOTU. There were a fair number of contests then and I was keenly interested in throwing my hat in... tried to work up songs a couple of times but didn't make the deadlines, etc., but was determined to make it into one sooner or later. I loved the idea of the theme challenges, and deadlines (and prizes), and looked forward to participating.
Then came the conversion to the whole "seasons" thing, and honestly- I quickly started to be confused by it all.. instead of individual, digestible contests, it was somehow one continuous, connected thread.... I felt like an idiot because I couldn't make heads or tails out of it (and it was brand new)! I tried for a while, but every week I didn't participate I felt further behind and more out of the loop. Eventually my brain melted and I gave up.
That was my experience. I'm not saying anyone was trying to be elitist or exclusive or anything like that (and I commend anyone willing to create/promote/host group participation activities)... but I suddenly felt on the outside, unable to understand how things worked.
I'm able to record audio and video, I have a (neglected) YouTube channel... I'm far from an expert but I'm not a neophyte, so I'm not intimidated by any of the technical hurdles.
Now, as I'm trying to pare down my collection and put an end to my decades-long uke-buying frenzy, I thought I'd focus less time on the marketplace and revisit some of the other community boards the forum has to offer. I started by looking at the SOTU page (to try once again to see if I could make sense of it) and discovered this thread.

When you try to learn something new and you just can't figure it out, it can make you feel stupid, and people react to that feeling in different ways- I got frustrated and quietly bowed out, but some of the defensiveness that has been discussed here might come from a similar place? It's definitely an uncomfortable and unpleasant feeling.

By contrast, MountainGoat's stand-alone contest from a while back is easy to understand. If I had been paying attention back then (instead of buying more ukuleles) I would have loved to participate.

I don't know what changes should be made, if any, but I do think that hearing each other and trying to find ways to be inclusive and inviting is generally a good way to go.
I hope things get hammered out to everyone's ultimate satisfaction.

All that said, I'm grateful for this forum, this community and the moderators that keep the gears oiled and turnin'!
Hello, Ernie! Your observations are really interesting. I only started playing the uke in 2016 - having never played any musical instrument before in my life - and that same year, I started to participate in The Seasons; basically, because a friend dragged me into it, kicking and screaming. Since then, I have managed to contribute something every week - I think - and I have used it as a means of improving my playing ability. (The improvement might be negligible, but learning "on the job" is the only way I can do it ... I am no good at practising scales or anything else for that matter, but give me a song and I will learn what is necessary to perform that song.) There is nothing even remotely intimidating about The Seasons ... it is basically just a question of finding a song which conforms with the theme for a particular week and learning to play it. The song could be as simple as you like and absolutely no one is standing in judgement over you ... the whole thing is just for fun and, should there be a prize, it is more often than not awarded by some random process. I really hope you might consider joining us ... we are really a very welcoming lot!

Top Bottom