How are the Seasons intimidating or exclusive?

Hello, Ernie! Your observations are really interesting. I only started playing the uke in 2016 - having never played any musical instrument before in my life - and that same year, I started to participate in The Seasons; basically, because a friend dragged me into it, kicking and screaming. Since then, I have managed to contribute something every week - I think - and I have used it as a means of improving my playing ability. (The improvement might be negligible, but learning "on the job" is the only way I can do it ... I am no good at practising scales or anything else for that matter, but give me a song and I will learn what is necessary to perform that song.) There is nothing even remotely intimidating about The Seasons ... it is basically just a question of finding a song which conforms with the theme for a particular week and learning to play it. The song could be as simple as you like and absolutely no one is standing in judgement over you ... the whole thing is just for fun and, should there be a prize, it is more often than not awarded by some random process. I really hope you might consider joining us ... we are really a very welcoming lot!
Thanks LimousinLil,
I appreciate the welcome! Just to clarify, I'm not intimidated by playing, or singing, or uploading, or putting myself out there (or being judged). I'm fine with all of that. I was just confounded by the format and was suggesting that that might be/have been a barrier to others as well.

Thanks LimousinLil,
I appreciate the welcome! Just to clarify, I'm not intimidated by playing, or singing, or uploading, or putting myself out there (or being judged). I'm fine with all of that. I was just confounded by the format and was suggesting that that might be/have been a barrier to others as well.
Oh, OK! It really IS just as simple as finding a song which fits the week's theme - usually announced late on Saturday evening (European time) - and uploading it to the thread in the following 8 days. That is it!

When you try to learn something new and you just can't figure it out, it can make you feel stupid, and people react to that feeling in different ways- I got frustrated and quietly bowed out, but some of the defensiveness that has been discussed here might come from a similar place? It's definitely an uncomfortable and unpleasant feeling.
100% yes for me on this. I absolutely resonate with this assessment of the situation.

This is regardless of how welcoming the members who participate are intending to be. I certainly appreciate their outcry of concern, because it does demonstrate that the intention is for all to participate, should they want to. It doesn't stop people from reacting how they react (because that's an emotion thing, not a logic thing) when they run up against something that, to them, feels intimidating, whatever the reason may be.

By contrast, MountainGoat's stand-alone contest from a while back is easy to understand. If I had been paying attention back then (instead of buying more ukuleles) I would have loved to participate.
Exactly this, too. Although for me, I was feeling awfully new at the time and couldn't pull something together in time. I look forward to another possibility like this to participate in.

The last couple of points being raised here involves a bit of a conundrum:

- Standalone challenges can apparently be less intimidating to first timers, because you dont feel like an outsider in an established group with unspoken (?) customs.

- An organized string of challenges, like the seasons, secures frequent challenges, and makes it less intimidating to host a challenge - since it is all set in system, and you wint have to explain why there is a challenge without a prize or something.

I dont assume to be clever enough to tell which is importanter. However, it seems like there is often far between the standalone challenges, and the seasons go on for a while. There is nothing holding anyone back from hosting independent challenges. We have Vorans "Nope" contest running now. It has been a while since mountain goats contest was running. Pabrizzer made a few month long challenges a few years back. But they are far in between.

It would be interesting to discuss another format of contests/challenges to run alongside the seasons Perhaps a monthly theme. Perhaps all the songs secret until a grand reveal. Many options around. Then again, there is also something intimidating with being compared to stuff people spend a month making. And that would also be a "format", with the same club like feeling as the seasons. Which I didnt find too intimidating when I began, though I did lurk for a month or so before joining.

Anyway, all it takes is for someone to start it up and host it 😆
Hosting any kind of challenges is a voluntary efford, and we challenges that someone takes the initiative to host.

Last edited:

- Standalone challenges can apparently be less intimidating to first timers, because you dont feel like an outsider in an established group with unspoken (?) customs.

- An organized string of challenges, like the seasons, secures frequent challenges, and makes it less intimidating to host a challenge - since it is all set in system, and you wint have to explain why there is a challenge without a prize or something.

I dont assume to be clever enough to tell which is importanter. However, it seems like there is often far between the standalone challenges, and the seasons go on for a while. There is nothing holding anyone back from hosting independent challenges. We have Vorans "Nope" contest running now. It has been a while since mountain goats contest was running. Pabrizzer made a few month long challenges a few years back. But they are far in between.

It would be interesting to discuss another format of contests/challenges to run alongside the seasons Perhaps a monthly theme. Perhaps all the songs secret until a grand reveal. Many options around. Then again, there is also something intimidating with being compared to stuff people spend a month making. And that would also be a "format", with the same club like feeling as the seasons. Which I didnt find too intimidating when I began, though I did lurk for a month or so before joining.

Hosting any kind of challenges is a voluntary efford, and we challenges that someone takes the initiative to host.
Mikkel! Good to see ya. You going to enter my Nope contest?

The ukulele cosmos followed the following format, it lasted for one month and everyone had to play the same song in any style that they wanted.

The song to be played was decided upon in an open forum, where members put forward song suggestions... that was my first introduction to ukulele challenges.

The ukulele cosmos followed the following format, it lasted for one month and everyone had to play the same song in any style that they wanted.

The song to be played was decided upon in an open forum, where members put forward song suggestions... that was my first introduction to ukulele challenges.
Noooo. Boring old covers. Poop to covers.

That sounds positively intimidating!!!

If one more person complains that things are intimidating I'm going to fart in the air conditioning.
Fine, as long as you don't defecate and collapse in a pitiful, urine-soaked heap in said feces.

It's perfectly fine, by the way, to express that one finds something intimidating. Intimidation is one of those subjective things, after all.

I'm afraid that neither of you are listening to the members who are telling you exactly why and how they feel unwelcome. I spent a month writing a carefully considered 3000 word post chock full of very specific details, and you're just telling me that everything is fine.

Fine for you, yes. Fine for the rest of the community, absolutely not.

That's not to say that any changes are going to be forced on anyone. I said very plainly that they're suggestions.

I don't know. Is the 14 times I used the word "suggestion" in the other post (yes, I just counted) not enough? Did I give too many examples specific reasons of why other people feel shut out for you to be able to see them? Because there are over a dozen of those too.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the idea that mere suggestions threaten to ruin the forum, or continued defensiveness rather than reading people's specific replies already given might -- might -- be an example of the hostility that outsiders have regularly mentioned experiencing if they dare stick their noses into the Seasons.

If you don't want to change anything, nobody's making you. I'd ask simply that you read again the suggestions that I made in a spirit of building bridges between the Seasons and the rest of UU, and ask yourselves why that sounds like a threat to you.

Is there really not a single one of the suggestions I made that might be useful, even in a modified form? Not one? Or is hunkering down behind the barricades to be the order of them day?

Your forum, your call. 🤙🥑🍍
I'm trying my damndest not to reply in a reactive and aggressive manner to the idea that the seasons are elitist! I'm damn near bleeding here from biting my tongue. Since I see you took the time write a 3000 word essay on your feelings about this ( which I find disconcerting in and of itself) I've decided I would sincerely like to read your article before I let loose with a reply.
I was terrified the first time I made a video and participated in the seasons. I felt vulnerable. But it also felt amazing to open up my heart and bare my passionate feelings. I can say that I never once received a negative comment from anyone. On the contrary, every one was very positive and encouraging. I can't deny that there are some regulars who seem only to make videos and don't really take the time to reply to others videos. But as a whole, my experience has been very positive. I would participate more if I could find the time, but thankfully the universe is keeping me busy with teaching ukulele and performing!
Rather than get ahead of myself any further I will seek out your essay on why "You" think the seasons are elitist. I'll also try and read through the various replies here. Thankfully I've see a few replies from people I know pretty well, and I'm guessing they can help me find the negative comments if they are existing in more than a few threads that are hopefully easy to find.
I'd encourage you to make a racket and record something that fits in with the theme of a season, and find out for yourself what it feels like if you haven't already done so.

people tell us why and a couple of very vocal seasonistas tell them they're wrong and then post a thread like this
if it was welcoming and inclusive participation would be growing but that is not the case
i will opine that youtube and having to have a youtube channel is an issue for some
the time frame for participation may also be an issue but that is part of the challenge
finding a song to fit the theme and owning your performance is also a challenge
but it is meant to be a (personal) challenge
i will state that all levels of uke ability have always been welcome
and although it was once a competition it is no longer so
the fact that the home of the seasons is in the contest section would also be intimidating for some
you do have to be able to cope with other seasonistas and internet behaviour - but that is the case where ever you spend your web time .....
Very well said Brian ~
I have to admit that once I discovered the seasons, I spent at least a year trying to get the courage up, and often, many of the reasons you point out, kept me from posting. That said, I never considered it elitist, and really just chalked it up to my own insecurities was the reason I kept finding reasons not to participate.

I don’t participate in Seasons, so please don’t jump on me for commenting here.

I‘ve been in the forum for a number of years but didn’t know that Seasons even existed for a long time. Once I bumped into it, I was enjoying listening to videos & dared to leave an enthusiastic comment. I was chewed out so strongly that I haven’t ventured back to an area of the forum that didn’t welcome me.

I understood it to be a contest. Apparently it’s not? I think clarifying what it is and that comments are not welcome would be a good idea.

I have no idea how to record anything, don’t have a YT account. It sounds like those of us who are low tech people are causing people to pick their noses & have aneurysms. I don’t mind the nose picking but would hate to cause an aneurysm. Are low tech people not welcome?

Those of you who are active in it like things the way they are. Fair enough. If the rest of us are being excluded, (can’t even tell you I really liked your video let alone participate in any other way?), then maybe it is a bit like Tim’s party description.

Well, the neighbors seem to have finally stopped shooting off firecrackers & fireworks & terrorizing my dogs with their noise, so I’ll stop worrying about all the nose picking, hand you all some tissues & some hand sanitizer, & go have some happy dreams.
It's embarrassing that hear that someone chewed you out for making an enthusiastic comment. Perhaps I'm more out of touch with the Seasons than I realized I was. I hope you'll continue listening and participating in whatever way you feel encouraged to participate.

I will seek out your essay on why "You" think the seasons are elitist.

Not me. Reporting what other members have said, both in those threads and elsewhere...but I'd recommend skipping it honestly. LOL I've suggested taking it down altogether, but that suggestion hasn't gone over very well either. As you'll see later in the thread, I withdrew the most controversial suggestion weeks ago -- not that anybody seems to have noticed :ROFLMAO: -- and there's broad consensus on the rest.

So really truly, I'd skip it. Literally anything you can think of to do with your time will be better spent.

Not me. Reporting what other members have said, both in those threads and elsewhere...but I'd recommend skipping it honestly. LOL I've suggested taking it down altogether, but that suggestion hasn't gone over very well either. As you'll see later in the thread, I withdrew the most controversial suggestion weeks ago -- not that anybody seems to have noticed :ROFLMAO: -- and there's broad consensus on the rest.

So really truly, I'd skip it. Literally anything you can think of to do with your time will be better spent.
Thanks for clarifying, I'm trying to to find this article now.

Top Bottom