How did you end up here?

Good question.
I have an old ukulele, but I don't play the ukulele.
Welcome to the forum, @rachelley ! I hope you stick around, and maybe put an intro in the new members thread? You can start at any level here and get all the info you need. I've been here less than a month and can't believe how much I've learned. Again, Welcome! 🌞

What lead you to the Ukulele Underground? Youtube? Myspace? Friend? Share!
I was researching a ukulele offered by jazz hat music and there was a thread about jazz hat on this forum I was surprised I had never heard of this forum I have been collecting ukuleles for years and have gone through two wives over my collection, and had never heard of this forum.

I was researching a ukulele offered by jazz hat music and there was a thread about jazz hat on this forum I was surprised I had never heard of this forum I have been collecting ukuleles for years and have gone through two wives over my collection, and had never heard of this forum.
Well, then, welcome to the forum! I'm glad you eventually found us! We'd love to see your collection - feel free to share photos as your own new thread in Uke Talk, or add to the Post Your Uke Pics Here! thread. ricfreak just added a family photo there recently; we'd be delighted to see your uke family!

Neither had I until I came across it last month. Welcome to the friendliest place on the planet!

Hello from Canada (insert obligatory "-eh") here.

What led me to UU? The "builder's" forum, as I had lept in to building a kit (or two), and THEN had a question about it, AND the forum seemed very positive and supportive. I was remiss by starting my UU conversation there, before introducing myself here. Sorry about that. I don't seem to relate to music in the same way others in the family do (aka somewhat 'musically challenged'). I do however enjoy "making stuff", and there are now two Stewmac Concert kits underway (somewhere around step 9 ;) ) at the moment. One was intended as a sacrificial one to make mistakes upon, and the other as the proof I can do this. So far any mistakes made on the first, I've managed to duplicate on the second. I did however, feel much more confident that I could fix it on the second time around. :)

Looking forward to sharing and learning.

I was remiss by starting my UU conversation there, before introducing myself here. Sorry about that.
Hah! No worries! You introduced yourself, so thanks very much for taking the time to do that
So far any mistakes made on the first, I've managed to duplicate on the second.
This is awesome.

Glad you found us, and thanks for participating. Looking forward to seeing what you get up to other than the Stew Mac kits; we're interested in all sorts of things here, not just all about ukulele (although, really, there's a lot about ukulele).

I am a Reverb Junky, Spring Tanker Guitarist. The Ventures, Dick Dale etc. Just wanting to simplify and compact what I play for enjoyment as when you play professionally it does become a job. Getting older and 9 pound guitars are not as Chillaxin to play as this 4 string that weighs, well...nothing, even on the metric scale I think. :) Ran into Uke players often in the Tiki world and live near The Crazed Mugs. Well same town, different side of the bay. Not sure if that was planned. Haha As a violinist as well I spent more on strings in a year than most pure Koa Wood Ukes. So I am loving the prices of what I see to be decent strings. I own an Ohana TK 70w and a Pineapple Shaped object that sounds cool but was really cheap. Currently the cheap Pineapple is warmer in tone, more pleasing to my ears, than the $200. Ohana. So I am on a mission to find warmer better strings than the Aquila New Nylguts that came on it. Had 2 songs down in 24 hours and at least 50 curse words trying to pronounce Hawaiian Hapa Haole lyrics. Yes Hapa Haole tunes are my main focus, much to my Islander friends chagrin. If I want to play Blues or Pop music I have...umm too many guitars and these huge loud boxes with so many effects to make a guitar sound like every other instrument in the world, and beyond, if plugged into the Internet, I am not sure why anyone plays other instruments anymore. Dry humor is my downfall btw. My head has been plugged, by a 1/4 inch plug, into so much Reverb for so many years, I am loving the pure sounds of these awesome, in some cases little, gifts from some very exotic woods. My wife is so tired of hearing me pick the Tequila riffs, on both my 6 string and new Ukulele she said she will be buying me a red bicycle and small red bow tie to wear. Not certain that would be funny. RIP Paul R.
Well if I can get some good advice, sane or otherwise, about playing these and maybe some string types etc that may help me out. I might be able to get rid of some of the stacks of beer soaked, metal edged gigantic amp boxes that I have so many of I am not quite certain what color my studio walls are. Bottom line, so glad to be here and hope I can help others as well. Of course you must remember, I practiced 1000's of hours, invested over $5000 in equipment to play a gig and had to drive a Van that costs $111.00 to fill the tank, just to go play for $200. Ah being a rock star. :) So if you take advice from me know I absolutely hold myself completely with0ut fault for any advice given. Mahalo

I am a Reverb Junky, Spring Tanker Guitarist. The Ventures, Dick Dale etc. Just wanting to simplify and compact what I play for enjoyment as when you play professionally it does become a job. Getting older and 9 pound guitars are not as Chillaxin to play as this 4 string that weighs, well...nothing, even on the metric scale I think. :) Ran into Uke players often in the Tiki world and live near The Crazed Mugs. Well same town, different side of the bay. Not sure if that was planned. Haha As a violinist as well I spent more on strings in a year than most pure Koa Wood Ukes. So I am loving the prices of what I see to be decent strings. I own an Ohana TK 70w and a Pineapple Shaped object that sounds cool but was really cheap. Currently the cheap Pineapple is warmer in tone, more pleasing to my ears, than the $200. Ohana. So I am on a mission to find warmer better strings than the Aquila New Nylguts that came on it. Had 2 songs down in 24 hours and at least 50 curse words trying to pronounce Hawaiian Hapa Haole lyrics. Yes Hapa Haole tunes are my main focus, much to my Islander friends chagrin. If I want to play Blues or Pop music I have...umm too many guitars and these huge loud boxes with so many effects to make a guitar sound like every other instrument in the world, and beyond, if plugged into the Internet, I am not sure why anyone plays other instruments anymore. Dry humor is my downfall btw. My head has been plugged, by a 1/4 inch plug, into so much Reverb for so many years, I am loving the pure sounds of these awesome, in some cases little, gifts from some very exotic woods. My wife is so tired of hearing me pick the Tequila riffs, on both my 6 string and new Ukulele she said she will be buying me a red bicycle and small red bow tie to wear. Not certain that would be funny. RIP Paul R.
Well if I can get some good advice, sane or otherwise, about playing these and maybe some string types etc that may help me out. I might be able to get rid of some of the stacks of beer soaked, metal edged gigantic amp boxes that I have so many of I am not quite certain what color my studio walls are. Bottom line, so glad to be here and hope I can help others as well. Of course you must remember, I practiced 1000's of hours, invested over $5000 in equipment to play a gig and had to drive a Van that costs $111.00 to fill the tank, just to go play for $200. Ah being a rock star. :) So if you take advice from me know I absolutely hold myself completely with0ut fault for any advice given. Mahalo
Welcome! I think you'd find a lot more response to string questions in the Uke Talk forum, for sure! Lots of opinions on strings here, just spend a bit of time looking through past threads and you'll be overwhelmed with the options! And a lot of folks here also find those "toy" versions to sound better than some of their more expensive counterparts. Good luck with the string hunting, that's definitely a serious pastime for many here, too!

Every time I googled something on uke's it would end up here so I figured why not start at the end?
Hah! True! Well, welcome to the UU forums! I look forward to hearing more about your ukulele journey (including about the ukuleles you own or are contemplating buying.... We love to hear (and see!) about everyone's beloved instruments!).

Hah! True! Well, welcome to the UU forums! I look forward to hearing more about your ukulele journey (including about the ukuleles you own or are contemplating buying.... We love to hear (and see!) about everyone's beloved instruments!).
Thank you Ploverwing. I thought I posted something over there but don't see it. Probably didn't hit the right button. I can try again.

Top Bottom