How did you end up here?

Technically I'm not new, but it's been years and years since I've been on the forum. The short story is I lost my ability to play for years and thru science, its back. I used to be ukecantdothat, but my sons thought a new start is indicated at this point. I just got my new YT chan set up. It's a prog uke emphasis, but is going to include any style, covers, originals, live bits, etc. My ukes are mostly CBUs that I built, most of them during Covid. It's great to be back, can't wait to dive in!

Technically I'm not new, but it's been years and years since I've been on the forum. The short story is I lost my ability to play for years and thru science, its back. I used to be ukecantdothat, but my sons thought a new start is indicated at this point. I just got my new YT chan set up. It's a prog uke emphasis, but is going to include any style, covers, originals, live bits, etc. My ukes are mostly CBUs that I built, most of them during Covid. It's great to be back, can't wait to dive in!
Well I'm glad you've come back to us, and even more glad that you are able to play again. Welcome back!

Hello Jeepkeys!
Welcome to the forum, and please consider posting a little about you in the new members section. I can't believe how much I've learned after just a couple months at UU! I hope you have an equally positive experience!

I thought it would be great to have portable music when I travel, wanted to learn to finally 'read' music (I played cello & clarinet in school by memorizing the music). Found during Google searches for a Uke, & like reading the reviews. Very excited about this new journey!
Welcome to UU, Craftmakr!

The uke journey seems to have that affect! I never had this much fun with my cello. You can learn just about anything right here. It's about the friendliest place I've ever found online, and the experience shared is worth it all.

I thought it would be great to have portable music when I travel, wanted to learn to finally 'read' music (I played cello & clarinet in school by memorizing the music). Found during Google searches for a Uke, & like reading the reviews. Very excited about this new journey!
I'm delighted that you discovered the ukulele and found us on the forum! Welcome, and thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. We love seeing pics of people's ukuleles, so feel free to share whenever (if) you're ready to do so :)

I ended up here from searching questions about ukes. I really like the fact that this isn’t a Facebook group as I left that dumpster fire years ago. I like an old-school forum that’s civil and moderated. I already know the info here is quality.

I ended up here from searching questions about ukes. I really like the fact that this isn’t a Facebook group as I left that dumpster fire years ago. I like an old-school forum that’s civil and moderated. I already know the info here is quality.
Welcome! I am relatively new, too, but I have found this to be a great place to learn. It has the welcoming feel of Hawaii, for me. I hope you enjoy your UU journey.

Welcome! I think you'd find a lot more response to string questions in the Uke Talk forum, for sure! Lots of opinions on strings here, just spend a bit of time looking through past threads and you'll be overwhelmed with the options! And a lot of folks here also find those "toy" versions to sound better than some of their more expensive counterparts. Good luck with the string hunting, that's definitely a serious pastime for many here, too!
That is awesome Thank you. There are so many "toy" type Ukes out there and some of the vintage are really fascinating. Just another great addition to my Ukulele world to look for on those rainy days. Tiki Jeff

When I was shopping for my first ukulele (so I didn't have to keep "borrowing" my son's) and I googled reviews, I found the best reviews and advice here in the UU forms. The posts I read were helpful, kind, and supportive even when people didn't agree. It seems like a really great community. I have been lurking for a few months and just decided to join and introduce myself yesterday.

I asked ¨the googlë for banjolele song suggestions and this is where I landed!

I've been here awhile, but I never stop learning.

I could never really "read the dots" in real-time, but could 'sort of' memorize what they were telling me to play. That got me through grade school, high school, and even a few years of youth symphony. (My sincere apologies to Maesto Wunsch, Wheaton Youth Symphony, IL ca: 1963-67)

Flash-forward to 60, or so, years later...

The ukulele group I recently joined was having trouble finding the right note to start singing on when we started songs. Me, too. Two days ago, I decided to learn to pick out the melody lines by actually reading the dots and playing them on the fretboard so we could all start singing on the same notes.

At today's practice, I interjected some 'first few bars' of the melody line so all could have a clue of where to start singing the songs. (This did require linear tuning.) I think I did good, but now they would like it for every song. Fair enough!

This is why I'm here.

Last edited:
I wanted to experiment a bit with tunings and tensions on one of my ukes and the ole search engine brought me to this great place.

Have a couple too many ukuleles and heard this was a good place to sell a couple...
Welcome to the forum, not only a good place to sell but a good place to buy too. Heck, you can just hang around, read and comment if you want.

Top Bottom