How do older production G-String ukuleles compare to the modern reputation?

Shaw

Reaction score
I'm considering buying an older production G-String soprano, but I really can't find any information about them and won't be able to see it in person. I know a bit about the history of the company from searching here and I understand that Derek Shimizu's current builds are different and very high end. How do the older early 2000s Hawaiian product ukuleles compare? Is it worth the risk since they don't come up for sale often?

I'm considering buying an older production G-String soprano, but I really can't find any information about them and won't be able to see it in person. I know a bit about the history of the company from searching here and I understand that Derek Shimizu's current builds are different and very high end. How do the older early 2000s Hawaiian product ukuleles compare? Is it worth the risk since they don't come up for sale often
I have 2 of the early G-Strings, a soprano and a super soprano, both all koa. They are both outstanding, quality ukuleles that I acquired years ago from members here, one a purchase and the other one in a trade.
without knowing what you’re looking at I’d say go for it.

I have 2 of the early G-Strings, a soprano and a super soprano, both all koa. They are both outstanding, quality ukuleles that I acquired years ago from members here, one a purchase and the other one in a trade.
without knowing what you’re looking at I’d say go for it.
Thanks for the response. It's $500, so not the biggest risk in the world but also enough money that I wish I was a little more confident than I am buying it without physically touching it.

I remember Baz did a review of a G-String uke some years ago. He thought they could go toe-to-toe with the K-Brands.

Top Bottom