How do you store your ukuleles?

I’m new to ukes, but they’ve joined my violin and mandolin on stands on a shelf in my living room. I love seeing them out, they inspire me to play more, and I’m okay with that maybe resulting in an instrument needing repairs some day. I often have my windows open in summer and dry heat on in the winter, but the climate isn’t seriously extreme here. I go with “if it’s comfy for me, hopefully it’s comfy for my instruments too”. My violin is a 200+ year old very humble instrument likely made by a folk-music playing amateur. It’s the instrument most likely to fail in unbecoming weather conditions, but I feel like she wants to be out where she can see the world and offer her often snarky commentary and get bandaged up as needed (was very needed when I got her and I paid for a lot of bandages). So for me this oddly moves away from science and into… whatever you call it when someone names their instruments and feels like they have agency and none of mine want to be in cases because I’ve met those ones and I don’t keep them.

A few folks asked about my case rack in the "before" picture: it is a String Swing guitar case rack. I had to order an extra cross bar so that my soprano cases don't fall through, but it was only $20 more. Otherwise, it works great.

String Swing CC29 Folding Hardwood Guitar Case Rack https://a.co/d/7UkzWqN
This has inspired me to build my own case rack. I have a nice piece of maple that will hopefully work. We should know in a few days. :)

I have lost track of how many ukes I have, but I keep them all in cases unless I am playing them. That being said I play every chance I get. On weekdays I'm limited by work, but I do work from home and will pull one out periodically to play for a few minutes when time permits. When I'm not working or running errands I could easily spend the entire day playing. I don't display them because I don't think the rest of my family would appreciate it. Also I like to keep my instruments (and everything else for that matter) looking pristine if I can at all help it.

I have them hung up on the wall, but now that I have some higher quality ukuleles coming, I'm worried that the high humidity climate (temporate rainforest, 14 mi from ocean) will damage them if I hang them up. Which is more sensitive to humidity between mahogany and acacia? Those are the only 2 types of wood I'll have.

Bought a hygrometer already per @SkeeterAB's recommendation.

Oh and is having them in a case enough to prevent humidity damage?

I have them hung up on the wall, but now that I have some higher quality ukuleles coming, I'm worried that the high humidity climate (temporate rainforest, 14 mi from ocean) will damage them if I hang them up. Which is more sensitive to humidity between mahogany and acacia? Those are the only 2 types of wood I'll have.

Bought a hygrometer already per @SkeeterAB's recommendation.

Oh and is having them in a case enough to prevent humidity damage?
Whether it is mahogany, acacia, koa, or any other solid tone wood, ideally you want them kept consistently between 45 and 55% humidity. If they're laminate wood, you don't have to worry as much.

All in quality hard cases which have hydrometers.

Whether it is mahogany, acacia, koa, or any other solid tone wood, ideally you want them kept consistently between 45 and 55% humidity. If they're laminate wood, you don't have to worry as much.
Because you are in an area that may have more than 60% humidity, you should consider using Boveda humidity packs in cases with your solid wood ukes. They absorb water when the humidity is too high and they release water when the humidity is too low. I will put two and a sleeve in with the uke I am sending. I will see if I have an extra small in-case hygrometer that I can send as well.

Top Bottom