How many of you actually have custom luthier built ukes?

how many luthier-made ukuleles do you have?

• Total voters

BiosphereDecay

Island Punk Rock
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just wondering how common they actually are.

I dont have a luthier build ukulele.

Assuming here that MyaMoe and Cocobolos are considered "shop build", not "luthier build". Though a luthier of some kind was probably involved somewhere in the process. Is there a name for it ? 😂

But I dont think that many who dont have one will take the time to write a reply, not as often as those who have one to write about. A poll would probably be a better way to get less biased input.

Currently, I have four ukuleles that can be considered custom luthier built, although only two were built specifically for me, with my specs and choices of woods and design.
1) Jupiter Tenor, Redwood top, Sycamore B & S
2) Jupiter Tenor, Redwood top, English Walnut B & S
3) Beansprout Tenor, Port Orford Cedar top, Walnut B & S
4) Hanson 5-String Concert, Port Orford Cedar top, Myrtle B & S

Graziano Maple Concert Selmer bought used

Kimo Redwood Super Tenor Custom built for me

Cocobolo Super Tenor Body - 16-1/2" scale built for me

Awaiting Jupiter Guitalele Custom

I dont have a luthier build ukulele.

Assuming here that MyaMoe and Cocobolos are considered "shop build", not "luthier build". Though a luthier of some kind was probably involved somewhere in the process. Is there a name for it ? 😂

But I dont think that many who dont have one will take the time to write a reply, not as often as those who have one to write about. A poll would probably be a better way to get less biased input.
I would consider a Mya Moe a custom. And do agree with regard to Cocobolo unless it was customized outside of their normal builds.

I've owned three custom ukuleles. One was a TyDe rainbow tulipwood tenor that I traded here on UU for a moonbird and some cash. The second was a NFC cocobolo and cedar tenor that I eventually sold here on UU. The other I still own, it's a Curly Koa Heritage tenor, that I traded for here on UU. All three are great instruments.

Attachments

• Resized_20211008_121357.jpeg
    Resized_20211008_121357.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230402_143352.jpg
    20230402_143352.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240330_083140.jpg
    20240330_083140.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 17
I think the percentage of ukulele players in the world who own a custom-built instrument from a luthier is very low. In fact, I'd suspect that the vast majority of ukulele players worldwide do not own a ukulele that costs above $250. But that percentage increases when you limit the group to a forum like this or a ukulele club that is full of enthusiasts. If you love the ukulele enough to be active on a ukulele forum, the chances are higher than normal that you own a custom ukulele.

I think the percentage of ukulele players in the world who own a custom-built instrument from a luthier is very low. In fact, I'd suspect that the vast majority of ukulele players worldwide do not own a ukulele that costs above $250. But that percentage increases when you limit the group to a forum like this or a ukulele club that is full of enthusiasts. If you love the ukulele enough to be active on a ukulele forum, the chances are higher than normal that you own a custom ukulele.
Totally agree. Of the few dozen members of my local uke club, I think that only I and one other person owns a custom-built instrument.

I estimate that there are about eight of us forum members that don’t own a luthier made ukulele. ;) I can’t justify it to myself. I’m nowhere near talented enough to use a next-level uke to its full potential. Plus, I assume spending that much on a ukulele would lead to loud conversations with my wife.

For those who pick specific woods for their customizations, did the luthier tell you first what woods he had available and seasoned for the right time, or did you ask luthier to buy the woods just for your builds?
With my limited experience -
Based on what he had. We discussed the sound and woods I'd like for front, back and sides. However with one luthier, I told him the sound I'd like and he suggested the build (we haven't completed discussions and this was put on hold due to life situations at the time).

Absolutely this.

Consider creating a poll in this thread. We’ve done a few polls in the past (for example about different uke sizes members play, how many ukes members have, which is the best Shrek movie) and the results are always very interesting.
I agree with both of these, and I'm happy to help you to convert this thread to a poll. It's possible that you'll get more responses in the "no" corner that way, which would actually be much more representative of reality. There seem to be quite a few people on this forum with luthier-built / custom instruments, but that is definitely not the norm for people who play the ukulele. Most people go to their local music store or Amazon and get something to noodle on.

I have three luthier-built instruments: one was built by a family friend, and two are builds very customized to what I wanted to play (i.e. not typical ukuleles at all), so I'm in a weird category altogether.

Absolutely this.

I agree with both of these, and I'm happy to help you to convert this thread to a poll. It's possible that you'll get more responses in the "no" corner that way, which would actually be much more representative of reality. There seem to be quite a few people on this forum with luthier-built / custom instruments, but that is definitely not the norm for people who play the ukulele. Most people go to their local music store or Amazon and get something to noodle on.

I have three luthier-built instruments: one was built by a family friend, and two are builds very customized to what I wanted to play (i.e. not typical ukuleles at all), so I'm in a weird category altogether.
I would like to see that poll. I have some suggested categories below:
Do you own a luthier-made custom uke (either made custom for you or for someone else, e.g., bought used, was a prototype or practice for a custom, was a blem from a custom build)?
Do you own a luthier-made custom uke that was customized for you?
Do you plan to order a luthier-made uke customized for you some day?
Do you think you would never order a luthier-made uke customized for you?

“Luthier built” isn’t necessarily the same as “custom.” I’ve owned two luthier hand-built sopranos (Timms, LoPrinzi) that weren’t custom-built to my specifications. I bought them after they were built. Timms ukes, for example, can’t be described as customs; unless you’re a personal friend, I guess, you take what he builds. And in the case of my LoPrinzi, it was in her shop and I bought it.

I no longer play soprano and own only 2 ukes, both custom concerts I ordered (Barron River, Kinnard).

So I think the poll, if there is one, should probably specify luthier-built. Not all luthier-built ukes were ordered to be custom-made. Chuck Moore is another example of a luthier who builds what he wants and doesn’t take custom orders. I think the same is now true of Jay Lichty. (Thought I read this someplace but may be thinking of another luthier.)

I’m interested in seeing this as a poll as well. I would’ve never ended up with a luthier built uke if not for this forum. I got a considerable deal on a Pops WOW soprano since it was a factory second, and I’m absolutely in love with it. The bar is raised very, very high for my next ukulele!

Top Bottom