How many ukes have you got? (expanded poll)

How many ukuleles do you own?

• Total voters
2 sopranos
2 long neck sopranos
4 concerts
1 long neck concert
2 tenors
2 baritones
1 guitalele

In my defence, I plan to move on 4 of them. And of the concerts, one is a resonator, and one is an Enya Nova for playing with effects, so they’re different.

Okay, Wiggy, you go first how old are you and how many ukuleles do you own? 😄

What’s the hypothesis? I can see it going either way.
1. Increased age implies higher income, more time in the hobby, and additional acquisitions.
OR
2. Increased age implies more wisdom / better understanding of what features a person appreciates and less need to acquire / experiment with additional ukuleles.
Or …

3. Increasing age brings on UAD, Ukulele Acquisition Dementia. One forgets how many one has, what kind they are, where they are (!), what’s coming in (what’s that oblong box doing on the doorstep?), loses track of the mounting Visa charges, buys airline tickets to Hawaii then forgets to go.

Last edited:
Or …

3. Increasing age brings on UAD, Ukulele Acquisition Dementia. One forgets how many one has, what kind they are, where they are (!), what’s coming in (what’s that oblong box doing on the doorstep?), loses track of the mounting Visa charges, buys airline tickets to Hawaii then forgets to go.
They're all understandable, ok, forgivable. But the last - forgets to go :eek:

Okay, Wiggy, you go first how old are you and how many ukuleles do you own? 😄

What’s the hypothesis? I can see it going either way.
1. Increased age implies higher income, more time in the hobby, and additional acquisitions.
OR
2. Increased age implies more wisdom / better understanding of what features a person appreciates and less need to acquire / experiment with additional ukuleles.
I have a hypothesis that is an odd mixture of 1. and 2.

My ukulele acquisition is part of a broader plan to become a burden to our children. My wife is doing her part through remodeling, furniture acquisition, and charitable donations.

Increasing age can provide insight into mortality, seizing the moment, and focusing more on what gives us joy. I used to worry and plan to be sure we had enough to take care of ourselves, our aging parents, and our kids "in the long term." Our parents have passed, and we are lucky enough that all of our kids are doing well. Now my concern is leaving money on the table. If we still used checks, I would have said that I want my last check to bounce.

Middle 30s with 4 ukes (5 if you count my office uke, but I don't play it like I play the others):

Main ukes:
1 traditional koa tenor
1 small-bodied mahogany tenor
1 electric koa & mahogany tenor
1 small-bodied spruce & mahogany concert

Office uke:
1 painted cigarbox soprano

My age is 58. I own 6 large beach umbrellas, 6 beach chairs, at least a dozen beach towels, 5 hammers, 3 stepladders, 2 shovels, 3 sets of hedge trimmers, 2 push mowers, 2 fishing poles, 2 string trimmers, 2 leaf blowers, 2 shop vacs, 2 refrigerators, 2 chain saws, 2 old cars, 1 banjo and 1 ukulele. :)

EDIT: One new car, several pump shotguns, several rifles, 2 handguns, hundreds of rounds of spare ammo, 1 Daisy BB rifle, 3 pickleball racquets and no golf clubs.

Last edited:
The first poll choice is 0-9. I feel inadequate.

I mean, I do actually have 6, and I've given away two. But, two of the ones I have are junk, plus one on loan, and one that I keep in the car. So, I really only have two ukes at my disposal. And I only PLAY one of them!

Don’t. I have only 2.5, counting the Risa stick as half a ukulele.
I mean, I do actually have 6, and I've given away two.
So you have four? …
But, two of the ones I have are junk, plus one on loan, and one that I keep in the car.
None of those count.
So, I really only have two ukes at my disposal. And I only PLAY one of them!
Lost count a bit here. But if you play only one, you have only one, IMHO. In the ukulele world, that’s tantamount to a deficit.

I mean, I do actually have 6, and I've given away two. But, two of the ones I have are junk, plus one on loan, and one that I keep in the car. So, I really only have two ukes at my disposal. And I only PLAY one of them!

None of those count.

Lost count a bit here. But if you play only one, you have only one, IMHO. In the ukulele world, that’s tantamount to a deficit.
So I used your system of counting and found out I had a negative number of ukuleles.

So I told my spouse that and that I needed to buy more ukuleles and..., ...and she threatened to "El Kabong" me with any one of my imaginary number of ukuleles.

Who said that numbers don't lie?

. And I only PLAY one of them!

So I used your system of counting and found out I had a negative number of ukuleles.

So I told my spouse that and that I needed to buy more ukuleles and..., ...and she threatened to "El Kabong" me with any one of my imaginary number of ukuleles.

Who said that numbers don't lie?
Maybe you need to get on Marketplace and ask for donated ukuleles. I might even contribute. But if course, I don't think it would be any Koaloha or Kanilea, etc. But you never know ;)

Don’t. I have only 2.5, counting the Risa stick as half a ukulele.

So you have four? …

None of those count.

I've had 8 ukes (though not all at the same time), and gave away two. I presently "own" 6. I think the one in the car counts, as it is playable, and I do occasionally play it. The one on loan is also a good player, I'll either get it back or let him keep it if he decides to play it. The two junk ones... yeah, though don't count as anything much more than an expense and spare parts if I ever decide to do a cheap & dirty garage-built uke!

I like the one uke that I play, though. I can't imagine having more ukes would make me want to play that one less. If I found one that materially sounded or played better, then I could be persuaded to replace this one.

I guess I'm approaching this similarly to how I do cars. I love cars, but I don't want to own a bunch of them at the same time. I consider myself a "serial car collector". When I get bored with the car that I have, maybe I'll buy something different.

A few months shy of 50, so I've just ordered a five string, tuned in fifths don't know what we're going to call it from Tukanu (David Hanson); probably doesn't qualify as an ukulele. But that'll be the 7th if we do qualify it in the ukulele category.

One tenor (keeping because a friend built it)
One tenor, currently awaiting it's next caretaker, on consignment
Four soprano scaled babies, one of whom is the marvellous little Lutulele

And @Patty would insist that number really ought to be 8 as I shouldn't leave that BR soprano patiently waiting on Marketplace... But despite the price, it's either well beyond my budget, or I'd have to sell the Moon Bird and I'm not ready for that.

I have seven ukes:

• my first one, a soprano stringed with low G
  • a concert for travel & work
  • an electro-acoustic tenor high g
  • an acoustic tenor with a slender neck
  • a tenor with low G
  • an electro-acoustic 8-string tenor
  • an all-polycarbonate soprano to take outdoors

Last edited:
If my count is correct - I am at 33 ukes . . . that makes it exactly 1/3 of all of the stringed instruments that I own.
Yes, I do have a problem . . . but someday when I die, my son will have plenty of instruments to sell off to afford to bury me!
Thinking on, have you thought about a tatty double bass...? How tall are you?

Top Bottom