how to get rid of migraines

thatguywiththeukulele

Reaction score
im 13 years old and suffer from migraines...i try to take Tylenol but that rarely helps...how can i get rid of them

Can you get to a chinese herbal doctor?

I have helped 2 older friends with lifelong migranes and after getting balanced with chinese teas, they have never had one since.

If you have ruled out any serious problems from the Western Doctors like Blood pressure or tumor, I highy recommend an herbologist.

im 13 years old and suffer from migraines...i try to take Tylenol but that rarely helps...how can i get rid of them
First, try revamping your diet. Don't eat dairy for a week, see if that helps. If not, try a gluten free diet. Also, try not eating high sugar/caffeine foods as well as processed foods.

Make sure that you are not dehydrated.

Drink lots of fluids.

Not to be rude...but tell your parents to make you a dr. appointment.

I've heard niacin (vitamin B3) can work if taken at the onset. It dilates your capillaries and causes a temporary "flushing" effect where your face gets red and hot. It has to be real niacin, though, not niacinamide, which doesn't cause flushing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC548511/

http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Migraine_Headaches/forum/6805971-try-niacin

It's cheap, readily available, and if it staves off a full-blown migraine, the temporary flushing would be worth enduring.

The doc probably won't do anything other than prescribe him pain killers, honestly. But no harm in going.
Probably. And I would rather not take any prescription drugs I don't have to. A few years ago I had surgery on my hand and they gave me a two-week (or maybe it was 10 days) supply of vicodin. After two days I decided I just didn't like how it made me feel so I stopped and just used OTC ibuprofen as needed instead.

But if the OP hasn't already seen a doctor, then he should. There may be an underlying reason for the migraines. Hopefully, not a brain tumor or anything like that, but a doctor should be consulted. A 13-year-old with migraines is not the norm.

Otherwise, I agree with your earlier advice about diet. Allergic reactions to dairy or wheat or countless other things we might ingest could be the culprit.

Doctors tend to over prescribe drugs. All those years ago when I was in college and took a nutrition class we were told that medical students didn't have to undergo any nutritional training at all (might have changed since then). It might be worth looking into working with a nutritionist who specializes in the field.

Probably. And I would rather not take any prescription drugs I don't have to. A few years ago I had surgery on my hand and they gave me a two-week (or maybe it was 10 days) supply of vicodin. After two days I decided I just didn't like how it made me feel so I stopped and just used OTC ibuprofen as needed instead.

But if the OP hasn't already seen a doctor, then he should. There may be an underlying reason for the migraines. Hopefully, not a brain tumor or anything like that, but a doctor should be consulted. A 13-year-old with migraines is not the norm.

Otherwise, I agree with your earlier advice about diet. Allergic reactions to dairy or wheat or countless other things we might ingest could be the culprit.

Doctors tend to over prescribe drugs. All those years ago when I was in college and took a nutrition class we were told that medical students didn't have to undergo any nutritional training at all (might have changed since then). It might be worth looking into working with a nutritionist who specializes in the field.
I totally agree with this.

I had countless headaches as a teen/early 20's. I revamped my diet and ta-da! Dairy and gluten are a big culprit. A lot of people are allergic and don't know it.

I'm fortunate not to have migranes. But you have my deepest sympathies.

I am totally serious about this, even though it will sound nuts (at least to a 13 year old). Can you handle really hot, spicy food? Because the chemical that makes peppers hot (capsicum) has natural pain-killing properties. In fact, they make an over-the-counter pain med called Capsascin (not sure about the spelling) which uses that chemical as its active ingredient. Whenever I have a bad headache or just feel crappy in general, I eat the hottest stuff I can stand. When I feel a cold coming on, or feel REALLY crappy, I go out for Indian food and have them make it extra-hot. Works like a charm! But it might take some getting used to.

First of all, see a doctor. There are several reasons for this. Most importantly, they can diagnose whether or not you actually are having migranes. There are lots of different types of headaches. For that matter, the headache could merely be the symptom of something worse (although it probably isn't... still, get it checked out). They might refer you to a neurologist who can specialize in that sort of thing.

If the doc does prescribe something, it probably won't be a "painkiller". Generally, they prescribe two different things. One is an "abortive" that is intended to be taken when you feel a headache coming on, and will hopefully stop it. Imitrex is one popular example. The other thing they might prescribe is a "prophylactic" that is intended to reduce the occurrences in the first place, and that you take every day. Then tend to be blood-pressure medications that have anti-headache properties as a side effect (Verapamil, etc.)

Another thing the doc might have you do is keep a headache diary/journal. You could actually start this today, before you see a doctor. Just write down the stuff you eat, maybe a few key activities (exercise, etc.), and write down when you have your headaches. Note the severity (scale of 1-10) and length of the headaches. It's very possible that your headaches are a reaction to certain foods or activities, but without compiling some data on the subject, you're just blindly guessing as to what those might be. Everyone is different.

Check out headaches.org. Lots of good stuff there.

Me? I was diagnosed with "cluster" headaches. They absolutely suck. There is no known cure, but certain treatments do make it suck less. :)

JJ

First of all, see a doctor. There are several reasons for this. Most importantly, they can diagnose whether or not you actually are having migranes. There are lots of different types of headaches. For that matter, the headache could merely be the symptom of something worse (although it probably isn't... still, get it checked out). They might refer you to a neurologist who can specialize in that sort of thing.

If the doc does prescribe something, it probably won't be a "painkiller". Generally, they prescribe two different things. One is an "abortive" that is intended to be taken when you feel a headache coming on, and will hopefully stop it. Imitrex is one popular example. The other thing they might prescribe is a "prophylactic" that is intended to reduce the occurrences in the first place, and that you take every day. Then tend to be blood-pressure medications that have anti-headache properties as a side effect (Verapamil, etc.)

Another thing the doc might have you do is keep a headache diary/journal. You could actually start this today, before you see a doctor. Just write down the stuff you eat, maybe a few key activities (exercise, etc.), and write down when you have your headaches. Note the severity (scale of 1-10) and length of the headaches. It's very possible that your headaches are a reaction to certain foods or activities, but without compiling some data on the subject, you're just blindly guessing as to what those might be. Everyone is different.

Check out headaches.org. Lots of good stuff there.

Me? I was diagnosed with "cluster" headaches. They absolutely suck. There is no known cure, but certain treatments do make it suck less. :)

JJ

Great post.
My wife has migraines and we have been going through all of this.

Top Bottom