Humidity

raoliveri

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm having concerns... I have 2 KoAlohas in hard cases when not in use I use Boveda packs and keeps them in the 47-49% range...My new Kanile'a Pineapple has new Boveda bags and upgraded D'Addario hygrometer and is also kept in Kanilea's premium case and i cant seem to get it over 30%

Ideas??

I am going to put a different hygrometer in it tonight and see if it changes...I first had two bags in it and took one out recently... I'm stumped

FYI these are 49% humidity packs
From what I know, the Kanile'a cases are glorified gig bags, meaning they have a zipper, and so they don't make as good of a seal around the instrument like a hard case does. So....zipper gig bags are likely harder to humidify than a hard case.

From what I know, the Kanile'a cases are glorified gig bags, meaning they have a zipper, and so they don't make as good of a seal around the instrument like a hard case does. So....zipper gig bags are likely harder to humidify than a hard case.
That makes sense...If I could find a hard case for a Kanile'a Pineapple Tenor Id buy it....I suppose I should keep two packs in it....

I was thinking KoAloha might make a pineapple tenor case, but most of their pineapples are soprano, OR they're just tenor scale. But I did find that Ohana makes a tenor case for pineapples. Cross reference the dimensions of your Kanile'a to the case specifications to see if it'll fit.

That makes sense...If I could find a hard case for a Kanile'a Pineapple Tenor Id buy it....I suppose I should keep two packs in it....
Maybe it’s the gig bag that is dry and sucking up all the moisture

Contrails has a point...

Just out of curiosity, what is the normal temperature and humidity of the area you are storing it in?

Contrails has a point...

Just out of curiosity, what is the normal temperature and humidity of the area you are storing it in?
It varies if its cold out and heat is on or if fireplace is on...fireplace not normally....All i know is it works awesome on the Koaloahas in their hard case that sits right next to the Kanilea....

It varies if its cold out and heat is on or if fireplace is on...fireplace not normally....All i know is it works awesome on the Koaloahas in their hard case that sits right next to the Kanilea....
Then I think we found the issue, the Kanile'a case. I really do like their cases, but I wish they had a hard case instead of the gig bag.

Stick the case with the bovedo bags in a trash bag, then secure it with a twist tie…

Out of curiosity, how long have you had the Boveda pack(s) in the Kanilea bag? Maybe it hasn't had time to hydrate and come to equilibrium.

I've seriously considered buying new cases for all the Kanile'a ukes in my house. The Kanile'a gig bags look nice, but like you, I cannot keep them properly humidified without constant attention. For example, during my weekly checks, I'll find my wife's Kanile'a concert under 40% with two Bovedas and an Oasis in hole humidifier (which had dried out), while the Kamaka right next to it with the same setup is sitting at 47-48%. As a result, I'm cycling new or recharged Bovedas into the Kanile'a ukes about twice as often as all my others.

I'm may have to follow @Contrails advice and start showering with Kanile'a bags in the bathroom.

I was thinking KoAloha might make a pineapple tenor case, but most of their pineapples are soprano, OR they're just tenor scale. But I did find that Ohana makes a tenor case for pineapples. Cross reference the dimensions of your Kanile'a to the case specifications to see if it'll fit.
My Kanile'a tenor pineapple does not fit the Ohana case. The body of the Kanile'a is too deep.

I have four Boveda/D'Addario packs in my Kanile'a gig bag. Two new packs By the body and two reconstituted at the head.

You can put an Oasis humidifier in the body instead of the two Humidpacks. In the winter, either configuration will keep my pineapple at about 42% RH with a room humidifier that stays at about 35% - 40% RH. The room humidifier slows the loss of humidity in the gig bag, but doesn't eliminate it.

If it doesn’t fit a standard hard case maybe using a baritone case would work. My Romero creations grand Tenor doesn’t fit a standard hard case too but I managed to find a maestro case that fits. I think the anuenue birds have a bigger than normal case around the body too.

Another kanilea owner here. The Kanilea case offers perhaps half an hour to two hours of humidity protection in my experience. The material is too porous to keep humidity in or out but it does stabilize the fluctuation to a gradual change over time. Of course this ultimately means that the case is inadequate for long term protection of your uke as the humidity inside of the case will eventually match the ambient humidity. Like another commenter above I had resorted to wrapping the whole thing in a garbage bag before deciding to humidify my whole place.

Humidifying my place isn’t a huge deal since I live in a small apartment but it might not be a feasible solution for you..

Top Bottom