I just bought my first Kala!

That's very exciting! Looking forward to a NUD when it arrives, please, and your thoughts on the sounds. I love cedar and I definitely eyeballed this myself more than once, although I've moved to soprano from tenor. Are you a linear or reentrant tuning (or something completely different) kinda guy, or both? What will you choose to start with on this one?

That's very exciting! Looking forward to a NUD when it arrives, please, and your thoughts on the sounds. I love cedar and I definitely eyeballed this myself more than once, although I've moved to soprano from tenor. Are you a linear or reentrant tuning (or something completely different) kinda guy, or both? What will you choose to start with on this one?
Hi there, thanks! On the uke, I mostly do linear. Guitar I sometimes dabble in altered or down tunings. I will do a low G on this one, I think. I mainly bought it because the uke is so peaceful for me to play, so I don't have a lot of ambition with it, but new instruments always inspire me - so I'm sure I will do some writing.

I had the cutaway version of this uke (purchased from someone here on UU). It’ll sound great, I doubt you’ll be disappointed. I’m still in want of something similar sounding, but with a wider nut to suite my fingers.

On of the best ukes I ever had was a Kala KAATP-CTG-CE, $369, tenor cutaway with preamp, slot head, solid cedar top, acacia koa body, paduk binding, gloss finish. Mim recommended it but didn't take trade ins, so I bought it at McCabe's Guitar Shop. I was able to play it side-by-side with an $1100 Kamaka and a Kanilea, and I found that it held its own, so I bought it. Was my go to uke for 9 years until I couldn't play standard depth bodies anymore with neck nerve damage, but replaced it with a Kala Travel tenor cutaway A/E, with which I'm also impressed.

Kala Cedar w back.jpg

Kala Traveler w back.jpg

I bought the Ziricote concert and even with all my other ukea I love playing this one!

On of the best ukes I ever had was a Kala KAATP-CTG-CE, $369, tenor cutaway with preamp, slot head, solid cedar top, acacia koa body, paduk binding, gloss finish.

I agree.....the Kala KAATP-CTG-CE is a great uke and I tend to hear very positive things about the Cedar top Kalas. Enjoy!!!!

Congrats, I have always loved the voice of a cedar top.

Waiting patiently for NUD! The turn around times for theukulelesite is longer then when I last ordered, but that was years ago - excited to try it out. Hope the set-up is worth the wait!

Last edited:
She's a beauty! See pics.

IMG_9865.jpg IMG_9867.jpg IMG_9866.jpg

I have been having fun improvising a bit - SEE Instagram Video

Different than my Kanilea, not as many overtones, which is cool to have something different, but koa may be in my future again!

Sounds like a cedar top. I love mine. I'd never be able to afford one the Ks, and I like the sound of this. Kinda like a baby guitar so I love it with low g. Can't play a tenor size or guitar so luckily I love this concert one.

Top Bottom