I just discovered that 12-stringed ukuleles exist

Voran

Reaction score
Now my capricious monkey brain wants one. Someday. No more spending for now.

I could see you with a Harp Ukulele.

Couple $thousand. Fancy togs on a carbon fibre base.

Couple $thousand. Fancy togs on a carbon fibre base.
I said ukulele not guitar originally, as in 4 x 3-course strings, but man, that's so beautiful.

Something eerily primal and satisfying about 2 or 3 course instruments. I don't know why, but there's a certain 'grizzled Mongolian warrior playing by the campfire' aesthetic to them.

Saw this earlier and I'm not actually buying one because when it comes to guitar I'm all about electric not acoustic. I can't play death metal on an acoustic or 12-stringer, which is mostly what I use my guitar for. But just wow at how devastatingly beautiful it is.

1671429591983.png

I realize it isn't what you were talking about, but I have one of the harp ukes from Emerald, and while I bought it to add some... reciprocating? basslines to my music, I was pleasantly surprised at how much of a difference the strings make just in terms of resonance. Really amazing instrument and surprisingly easy to play.

I own a tiple, 10 strings. It has two 2-sring courses and two 3-string courses, tuned gG-cCc-eEe-AA.
Tom Thompson, Canadian painter, played a bowlbacked mandlin with 12 strings,tuned GGG-DDD-AAA-EEE.
Singer/songwriter John Denver owned an 18-string guitar with six 3-string courses.
I don't see the advantage of three string courses.

I own a tiple, 10 strings. It has two 2-sring courses and two 3-string courses, tuned gG-cCc-eEe-AA.
Tom Thompson, Canadian painter, played a bowlbacked mandlin with 12 strings,tuned GGG-DDD-AAA-EEE.
Singer/songwriter John Denver owned an 18-string guitar with six 3-string courses.
I don't see the advantage of three string courses.
I would like to try the 3 string course but I don’t think I’d buy one

One 12-string ukulele… or three 4-string ukuleles… I think I know my choice 😁

Even with my fat fingers, I would have a difficult time making "clean" chords with 3 course strings. Not to mention how wide the fretboard would become...

I think if I was going that way I'd get a Hydra style instead.
Dual neck, maybe a baritone and a tenor.
One a tenor and a concert, with the tenor strung low g.

Even with my fat fingers, I would have a difficult time making "clean" chords with 3 course strings. Not to mention how wide the fretboard would become...
I don't have trouble covering the 3 string courses on the tiple and my fingers ain't skinny. I've included this photo to show that the board isn't much wider than a tenor uke.
tipple & Uke.jpg

Top Bottom