Importing ukulele with ebony bridge - help please

cor325

Reaction score
I'm in the US and would like to purchase a ukulele from the UK. The only part of the ukulele in question is the ebony bridge which is probably a CITES Appendix II wood, although I don't know exactly which ebony was used. What forms (eg., CITES/Lacy Act) is advisable to provide to the shipping service? Are there fees to go through customs/Dept of Agriculture? I found some discussion on rosewood and musical instruments on the forum and have tried reading through the CITES and Lacy Act, but nothing seems to address the issue in plain language. Thanks for whatever advice can be offered.

The rules on rosewood were relaxed a while ago. I’m not aware of ebony being on the cites list. We import a lot of ukes to the U.K. and I’ve never had an issue with ebony.

I'm in the US and would like to purchase a ukulele from the UK. The only part of the ukulele in question is the ebony bridge which is probably a CITES Appendix II wood, although I don't know exactly which ebony was used. What forms (eg., CITES/Lacy Act) is advisable to provide to the shipping service? Are there fees to go through customs/Dept of Agriculture? I found some discussion on rosewood and musical instruments on the forum and have tried reading through the CITES and Lacy Act, but nothing seems to address the issue in plain language. Thanks for whatever advice can be offered.

I wouldn’t normally interfere with a sale or purchase but a quick look on Matty’s website shows anyone who might care to look that he sells a lot of quality instruments - doubtless what he doesn’t have in stock he can get hold of. If you have something specific in mind then why not talk to him and see what deal can be struck. Looking back over Matty’s history he’s a long term member of UU and a trusted trader. I’d be very surprised if Matty shipping a Uke to you in the USA wasn’t straightforward. IIRC musical instruments now have some exemption from CITES and Rosewood but not Ebony was on the CITES list - a search on UU for say the last year will probably confirm that exemption to you (I did the search and easily found supporting threads).

Last edited:
Top Bottom