In Progress Improve advertising relevancy (was: Advertising on UU)

A suggestion that's being actively worked on!

TBB

TheBathBird
UU VIP
Reaction score
This is a genuine question... who, or what decides which ads we see on here?

I’m regularly offered pictures of attractive, scantily clad young Eastern European women, with cryptic text saying things like “Shy, meet more”; a suggestion I join a community for owners of “love dolls” 😳; and a visit to a firing range in Krakow. Oh UU, you know me so well 🙄

FWIW, I only use my personal iPad to browse the forums, just in case anyone’s thinking that other members of my family might be influencing an algorithm somewhere. But seriously, it’s a ukulele forum, I can’t help feeling the advertisers are missing a trick!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you PM me a screenshot?

Somebody PM'd me a screenshot that might have been something similar to what you're talking about, from Temu. Disgusting looking, but not sex toys...but I block disgusting-looking ads all the time, and I'm happy to block these. :)

And that said, @KohanMike, do send a PM with a picture of any ads you don't like, ever, for whatever reason. Same goes for anyone else. I only see a couple of hundred ads out of -- no kidding -- 10,000 or so currently in rotation. What with different geographies and browser settings, I suspect that very few of us are seeing the same ads most of the time. I have no way of knowing what you're not digging unless you tell me, so please do! I'm happy to help!

thx,
tw

Can you tell me more about the ad? Who's it from? Can you PM me a screenshot?
Temu. This is one I see now, which they disguise as fingernail polish practice device. Another ad has a number of other versions. I'll use 'saw it before,' thanks.

1684820031006.png

which they disguise as fingernail polish practice device.

Believe it or not, this is actually a thing! I have a friend who does manicures, and she assures me that this is legit. There are bunches of them out there (if admittedly more commonly used for practicing acrylic nails these days) -- and they're all look horrifying! Here's a bunch of them from Amazon. I think the whole hands may be worse than the fingers.

1684859510406.png

Now, that nose massager thing, THAT one, not a chance. LOL

And hey, and I don't care if any of this stuff IS legit. I turn off Temu ads solely because they look disgusting ALL THE TIME, and am oh so happy to add this nonsense to the list.

Thanks for the specifics, though! Always helpful...and again noting, there are bunch of ads that I can't see because of my geography and browser settings, so please never assume that I've in any way approved an ad that you see. AdSense doesn't work that way. I approve nothing. I can only block, and if I can't see it, I can't block it, so please please please, all of you, never hesitate to PM me a screenshot of ads you don't like, and I'll hop on 'em!

Ugh, I've reviewed over 2000 Temu ads, and still can't find ANY of the ones with this especially disturbing-looking garbage. Lots of OTHER garbage mind you, but not these. I'm still on the case, but it's going to take a lot longer than I'd hoped.

Honestly, I'm pretty close to blocking Temu altogether, but my blocking of offensive ads has already cost us about two-thirds of our revenue (yikes!!!), so I have to reserve the right to maybe bring them back...but life is short, and nobody should have to spend it looking at thousands of Temu ads.

And trust me, you only THINK you've looked at thousands of Temu ads. :ROFLMAO: I would have said the same myself, but now that I've literally done it (there's a counter at the bottom of the page, and the number of ads is RIGHT THERE), and no, I hadn't before. LOL

Again, ugh. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
And trust me, you only THINK you've looked at thousands of Temu ads. :ROFLMAO: I would have said the same myself, but now that I've literally done it (there's a counter at the bottom of the page, and the number of ads is RIGHT THERE), and no, I hadn't before. LOL

Okay, I've gotten rid of those...uhm, low-quality? LOL... Temu ads, and I feel better already!

The control in our advertising dashboard works exactly the opposite of the way you'd think it would act. Google's help doc was no help at all, so I watched some YT videos from other admins to figure it out. I think that the GOOG isn't especially interested in making this easy, but they need to at least go through the motions.

Their official documentation is also full of endless cautions about too many restrictions on your ads driving down your potential revenue, which as I noted earlier, I've definitely seen...but I'm also not convinced that Google's thumb isn't on the scales. "We TOLD you not to block any ads or it'd cost you, so guess what? We're making sure that it costs you."

Hence my search for other advertising approaches.

Someone upthread, or maybe on a similar thread, mentioned direct ad sales. I've done online ad sales before, and that's a hard no. LOL It's not JUST because that's one of the most soul-sucking enterprises that humans have yet devised, and I'm not interested in doing it again -- which it absolutely is, and I'm not -- but also because people in the ukulele business don't do traditional advertising. Yeah, a few ad pages in Ukulele Magazine and the like, for sure, but otherwise, it's all marketing. Social media, sponsorships of artists and festivals, newsletters, YouTube channels, and other direct outreach...but nothing like large scale web advertising. Guitar Center and eBay do a few sponsored Google Shopping placements for ukuleles, but try as I might, I've never been able to get any of those here through AdSense, because even those folks don't do much with actual advertising. They're just elevating their results on Google searches.

At least in my previous field of endeavor, there were active advertisers. People like Adobe, Sony, Panasonic, Blackmagic, Apple, HP, Dell, and many manufacturers of video-specific hard-drives, secure file-transfer services, digital cinema cameras, visual effects and editing software, and a wide variety of accessories related to professional film and television production...and it was STILL gruesome to harvest enough dollars to keep a large site with a small team afloat. (Many of the vendors I brought in are still on board at my previous site, CreativeCOW.net if you care to see some specifics.)

Even if I were willing to take on the task again (which, to be specific, I was fourth in line for after three previous sales people quit, and they were all making BANK, on grosses over $2m/yr -- but miserably LOL) it's still just not an option in the world of ukuleles. Global advertising campaigns through dynamic platforms isn't a meaningful part of anyone's promotional portfolio in this neck of the world.

I'm not complaining! Just observing, and sharing the specifics of why we struggle in the ways that we do to subsidize the operations here.

But folks, I'm here to tell you that I feel better about everything in my life without Temu here. :ROFLMAO: Seriously, will you LOOK at the lustre of my hair? I swear, my teeth are whiter, I've closed my belt another notch, and I'm looking forward to my best night's sleep in months. :ROFLMAO:

Apologies for the length of this, but that's where we're at today. :)

Okay, I've gotten rid of those...uhm, low-quality? LOL... Temu ads, and I feel better already!

The control in our advertising dashboard works exactly the opposite of the way you'd think it would act. Google's help doc was no help at all, so I watched some YT videos from other admins to figure it out. I think that the GOOG isn't especially interested in making this easy, but they need to at least go through the motions.

Their official documentation is also full of endless cautions about too many restrictions on your ads driving down your potential revenue, which as I noted earlier, I've definitely seen...but I'm also not convinced that Google's thumb isn't on the scales. "We TOLD you not to block any ads or it'd cost you, so guess what? We're making sure that it costs you."

Hence my search for other advertising approaches.

Someone upthread, or maybe on a similar thread, mentioned direct ad sales. I've done online ad sales before, and that's a hard no. LOL It's not JUST because that's one of the most soul-sucking enterprises that humans have yet devised, and I'm not interested in doing it again -- which it absolutely is, and I'm not -- but also because people in the ukulele business don't do traditional advertising. Yeah, a few ad pages in Ukulele Magazine and the like, for sure, but otherwise, it's all marketing. Social media, sponsorships of artists and festivals, newsletters, YouTube channels, and other direct outreach...but nothing like large scale web advertising. Guitar Center and eBay do a few sponsored Google Shopping placements for ukuleles, but try as I might, I've never been able to get any of those here through AdSense, because even those folks don't do much with actual advertising. They're just elevating their results on Google searches.

At least in my previous field of endeavor, there were active advertisers. People like Adobe, Sony, Panasonic, Blackmagic, Apple, HP, Dell, and many manufacturers of video-specific hard-drives, secure file-transfer services, digital cinema cameras, visual effects and editing software, and a wide variety of accessories related to professional film and television production...and it was STILL gruesome to harvest enough dollars to keep a large site with a small team afloat. (Many of the vendors I brought in are still on board at my previous site, CreativeCOW.net if you care to see some specifics.)

Even if I were willing to take on the task again (which, to be specific, I was fourth in line for after three previous sales people quit, and they were all making BANK, on grosses over $2m/yr -- but miserably LOL) it's still just not an option in the world of ukuleles. Global advertising campaigns through dynamic platforms isn't a meaningful part of anyone's promotional portfolio in this neck of the world.

I'm not complaining! Just observing, and sharing the specifics of why we struggle in the ways that we do to subsidize the operations here.

But folks, I'm here to tell you that I feel better about everything in my life without Temu here. :ROFLMAO: Seriously, will you LOOK at the lustre of my hair? I swear, my teeth are whiter, I've closed my belt another notch, and I'm looking forward to my best night's sleep in months. :ROFLMAO:

Apologies for the length of this, but that's where we're at today. :)

Temu ads (from all over the internet) often make me scratch my head in wonder and amusement. Frequently pondering what on earth some of the items might be, and what they might be used for, hubby and I sometimes turn our questions into a Temu parlor game, with each of us suggesting increasingly ridiculous possibilities and ideas. However, despite their occasional entertainment value, I’m happy to see the ads gone from the Forum, so thanks for your efforts, Tim! :)

Not sure if you tweaked something recently that allows you to say what kinds of ads we DO want to see, but I've actually gotten a couple of ads in the past several days that are music related! And a couple of other ones--I can't remember now what they are, but they're a refreshing change of pace from the "choose your body" male bodybuilder ads and "choose the appropriate workout for your age" ads. 😂
Thanks for all your work on this!

Not sure if you tweaked something recently that allows you to say what kinds of ads we DO want to see, but I've actually gotten a couple of ads in the past several days that are music related!

I'm continuing to tinker, but many of the specifics are up to Google. I hate how personal and invasive these new dynamic ad platforms all are. It's awful.

(I've felt like Mr. McGuire's advice to Benjamin in The Graduate if remade today would be updated from "Plastics" to "Programmatic Advertising." 🤣)

But its personal nature means that you can affect some of it. I've mentioned the advice to tell Google you don't want to see unpleasant ads by informing them you've seen those ads are before. They'll gleefully feed you ads that offend you all day long, but they'll do ANYTHING to avoid showing you something you've already seen!

You can also tell Google about the kind of ads you want to see, not just at UU but every site with a Google ad by clicking on them now and again. Not to buy anything you don't want -- just to interact. Google makes more money if you tell them what you want, so tell them!

I've been doing more of this recently, and I've found that maybe 75% of the ads I see are either music or travel, which are the ads I tend to click.

No need to do this is you don't want to of course. But if you can click on an ad or two a couple of times a week that's at least in the ballpark of something you're interested in, you'll find your experience across the web a little more aligned with your interests.

Personal ad choices aside, I'm still doing what I can to improve things on the administrative end, and have a few larger tweaks I hope to finish this summer, not least of which is the return of ad-free browsing for VIPs.

In the meantime, it pleases me no end to hear that you're seeing better ads! I'm still mostly restricted to swatting away the worst ones and crossing my fingers 🤣 but better is better, and I'll take it any way I can get it! 🙂🤙

Last edited:
Top Bottom