In Progress Improve advertising relevancy (was: Advertising on UU)

A suggestion that's being actively worked on!

TBB

TheBathBird
UU VIP
Reaction score
This is a genuine question... who, or what decides which ads we see on here?

I’m regularly offered pictures of attractive, scantily clad young Eastern European women, with cryptic text saying things like “Shy, meet more”; a suggestion I join a community for owners of “love dolls” 😳; and a visit to a firing range in Krakow. Oh UU, you know me so well 🙄

FWIW, I only use my personal iPad to browse the forums, just in case anyone’s thinking that other members of my family might be influencing an algorithm somewhere. But seriously, it’s a ukulele forum, I can’t help feeling the advertisers are missing a trick!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what it would take to get a commemorative coin of myself for my wife lol
Haha, omg that’s genius, there’s definitely a gap in the market for a company making commemorative coins for devoted spouses. And other family members of course, the possibilities are endless.

That would be me. 😊 Thanks!

But I'm just barely getting started on the ad system updates, and there will be some glitches, I promise. 🤣 I'm writing a report on where I am, and where we're going, that I'll post this weekend.
I suspected it was you. Thanks, again!

These days, living on this planet presents us with plenty of practice at dealing with glitches. I think we‘ll be able to handle a few more on the Forum. :)

So, I've posted a lengthy update on advertising, as well as all the other new features we've added in the past two weeks on this thread. It's got a pretty funny story to go with it that I think that you folks on THIS thread will appreciate. 😊

That would be me. 😊 Thanks!

But I'm just barely getting started on the ad system updates, and there will be some glitches, I promise. 🤣 I'm writing a report on where I am, and where we're going, that I'll post this weekend.
Thank you, Tim! I’ve often silently wondered why I never saw music related ads here, especially since almost all my online activity is on UU and other uke related sites.

I just had a thought reading your site update thread. Would it be possible to make the Watched Thread icon in a list of threads be a link to the post I made in that thread?

WAIT, I just tried to add an image, but clicking the Insert Image icon above only gives me a URL choice, not a local Drop Image Here choice..

Thank you, Tim! I’ve often silently wondered why I never saw music related ads here, especially since almost all my online activity is on UU and other uke related sites.

I had HOPED it wood be as easy as going to the Musical Instruments category in Adsense and clicking, "Yes please! More like this!" But alas, if that category exists, it's not exposed in the controls, and you can only say No to a category or ad.

That seems goofy to me, since the whole point is that we DO want ads. Why NOT let me have some degree of input? But nobody at Google has ever asked for my opinion about anything. 🤣

That said, I'm seeing more music ads. Lots of guitars, pedals, and lessons, and while I personally have not yet seen any in our site, some ads for Hawaii Music Store/The Ukulele Site have shown up for approval in our control panel. Approved! 😁

Still a long way to go, but better is better!

I had HOPED it wood be as easy as going to the Musical Instruments category in Adsense and clicking, "Yes please! More like this!" But alas, if that category exists, it's not exposed in the controls, and you can only say No to a category or ad.

That seems goofy to me, since the whole point is that we DO want ads. Why NOT let me have some degree of input? But nobody at Google has ever asked for my opinion about anything. 🤣

That said, I'm seeing more music ads. Lots of guitars, pedals, and lessons, and while I personally have not yet seen any in our site, some ads for Hawaii Music Store/The Ukulele Site have shown up for approval in our control panel. Approved! 😁

Still a long way to go, but better is better!
The “fix” of removing adult-oriented wording is elegantly simple. This is a great example of why “Humint” remains superior to A.I..

I’m no prude but I never fully understood why it was appropriate to have “p___” on the title for a thread intended for posting uke pics.🤣

WAIT, I just tried to add an image, but clicking the Insert Image icon above only gives me a URL choice, not a local Drop Image Here choice..

Hmmm, the Drop is still working for me. Try a page refresh?

If that doesn't work, you might try restarting your browser. Java may have crashed in the background, which wouldn't affect anything except for little scripts like these.

I’m no prude but I never fully understood why it was appropriate to have “p___” on the title for a thread intended for posting uke pics.🤣

It's a very common and use. Definition 2 from Oxford (*ed out by me for Google's sake)
2. television programs, magazines, books, etc. that are regarded as emphasizing the sensuous or sensational aspects of a nonsexual subject and stimulating a compulsive interest in their audience.
"a thrilling throwback to the golden age of disaster movies—weather p*** of the highest order"

It's a very common and use. Definition 2 from Oxford (*ed out by me for Google's sake)

It IS common, but I can't say I'll miss it. 😊

I’m no prude but...

I'm not either, but my previous forum gig was founded and run by folks who gladly embraced that term.

It was a forum for film and video production professionals, but we regularly got letters from schools and churches and corporate production facilities thanking us for ensuring that the community was one they could still use.

They acknowledged that they weren't the site's core audience, but our attention to this sort of thing meant that they COULD take advantage of the years of expertise contained there.

That's been my lesson ever since. Excluding a very, very few things that are ultimately trivial to the site's goals allows more people to embrace the site for what it truly is.

Again noting that my feelings about the appropriateness of that term in a pinned post were irrelevant relative to its impacts on SEO and advertising. 😁 If it was helping us, or value-neutral, I'd have left it alone. Not the case at all, so I didn't. Simple as that.

It ultimately reflects the same dynamic as the favicon and repairing the forum installation on the server. We're just trying to pay attention, to be intentional about what happens here, and to also be both transparent and accountable for what we're doing.

Hmmm, the Drop is still working for me. Try a page refresh? If that doesn't work, you might try restarting your browser. Java may have crashed in the background, which wouldn't affect anything except for little scripts like these.
I did all that, plus deleted the history for UU in Safari, plus restarted the computer. I also turned off Java, Quit and launched Safari and turned on Java. I don't see the lower Add Image anymore either. This seems to have started today, I've used the feature in the last couple of days.

Last edited:
I have ads for custom Christmas lights and Beatlemania Live! I'd go to visit a firing range in Krakow. Great city.

The ads are rather intrusive on Safari on my iPhone. They frequently look like they are covering up posts though I don’t think they are actually covering anything. However many of them are big. There is one above this text entry box that is so big that if I scroll down, it takes up the entire screen of my iPhone 12 Pro Max screen that is not used by the keyboard.

From the behavior of some other forums, I assumed by paying to be a UU VIP, the ads would go away. I now am reminded that assumptions only lead to disappointment.

I do believe that it is, generally, a good policy that donating to / paying for an, otherwise free, online site, just as with a iPhone app, should include the benefit of removing or, at least, reducing the number, size, and intrusiveness of ads.

Thank you,
Jason

The ads are rather intrusive on Safari on my iPhone. They frequently look like they are covering up posts though I don’t think they are actually covering anything. However many of them are big. There is one above this text entry box that is so big that if I scroll down, it takes up the entire screen of my iPhone 12 Pro Max screen that is not used by the keyboard.

From the behavior of some other forums, I assumed by paying to be a UU VIP, the ads would go away. I now am reminded that assumptions only lead to disappointment.

I do believe that it is, generally, a good policy that donating to / paying for an, otherwise free, online site, just as with a iPhone app, should include the benefit of removing or, at least, reducing the number, size, and intrusiveness of ads.

Thank you,
Jason
Thanks a lot for your feedback, Jason.

Yes, I'd thought that VIP membership would mean no ads, too, but apparently not currently - although that is something that we might be able to enable. We've got a lot of stuff going on in the background that we're still working through. I will create have created two new threads from this post: one regarding the ad size on Safari on iPhone 12 and one regarding the UU VIP not blocking ads as anticipated, and that way the moderator team can respond with proper feedback on each issue independently.

Last edited:
I'm seeing more inappropriate ads (sex toys) that I'd rather not see. I've clicked and marked them inappropriate, but the same one keeps returning.

I'll go block it in the control panel, but "inappropriate" will only help a little. The one that will kill it dead for you is "I've seen this before." Google is perfectly happy to feed you inappropriate content all day every day -- and they absolutely do! -- but they HATE showing you ads you've seen before.

Thanks,
Tim

Edit: Can you tell me more about the ad? Who's it from? Can you PM me a screenshot? Because I'm, not seeing anything like that in the admin panel...which of course includes over 10,000 ads currently in rotation. If it's not in the first couple of hundred, it's hard for me to pin down via browsing the admin pages, but if I can search for it specifically, I can block it at the source.

Last edited:
Top Bottom