Indiana uker

hoosierstrummer

Reaction score
Hi all! I’m excited to join from Indiana. I've been playing about two years, mostly American folk and country tunes. I’m a lover of bluegrass but like almost any music. I enjoy my tenor the best but also like my soprano. I’d like to get my hands on a banjolele at some point so I can play around with bluegrass even more. I play acoustic guitar as well but the uke seems to fit into my life better right now. My goal is to work up a 15 minute set list and play at an open mic this summer. Talk to y’all soon.

Last edited:
My goal is to work up a 15 minute set list and play at an open mic this summer.

What a fantastic goal! As you're gearing up, take a look at our Seasons of the Ukulele forum if you haven't! It's a weekly, themed song challenge, with an amazingly diverse range of styles that will help you build your performance chops molto pronto!

And check out our Monday livestreamed podcast on UU's YouTube channel! It's less by it co-founders Aldrine Guerrero and Aaron Nakamura (@anaka), working professional ukers (just back from tour in Italy in fact). I mention this because they've talked a lot about building setlists for open mics, and of course answer questions live if there's something specific you want to ask.

Thanks so much for finding us, and for taking time to introduce yourself!

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:
Welcome to the UU. Sounds like your ukulele journey is well underway!

Last edited by a moderator:
And check out our Monday livestreamed podcast on IU's YouTube channel! It's less by it co-founders Aldrine Guerrero and Aaron Nakamura (@anaka), working professional ukers (just back from tour in Italy in fact).

As a proud alum of Indiana University, I don’t believe IU has an ukulele YouTube channel. At least not yet. 😉

Last edited:
As a proud alum of Indiana University, I don’t believe IU has an ukulele YouTube channel. At least not yet. 😉

They should! And it should have ukuleles! :ROFLMAO: I've corrected my typo in the original post, but thanks for catching it! :)

While I'm here and we're talking about open mics, I'll add a reminder that UUUUUUUUU (just making sure there's no "I" lurking in there! :ROFLMAO: ) has an open mic too, via Zoom! It's normally the first Thursday of the month but in July, that's the 4th, so next month it'll be the second Thursday. That'll be July 11. Here's the link to the event (which includes a link to the Zoom room). Everybody's welcome, and you can do up to two songs.

Thanks again, @hoosierstrummer! (And @pmorey!)

Last edited:
What a fantastic goal! As you're gearing up, take a look at our Seasons of the Ukulele forum if you haven't! It's a weekly, themed song challenge, with an amazingly diverse range of styles that will help you build your performance chops molto pronto!

And check out our Monday livestreamed podcast on UU's YouTube channel! It's less by it co-founders Aldrine Guerrero and Aaron Nakamura (@anaka), working professional ukers (just back from tour in Italy in fact). I mention this because they've talked a lot about building setlists for open mics, and of course answer questions live if there's something specific you want to ask.

Thanks so much for finding us, and for taking time to introduce yourself!

Cheers,
Tim
Tim, thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the Seasons forum but couldn’t find the newest theme. Is there an easy way to find it? I’ll check out the Youube and podcast.

I haven’t heard of ukes at IU but I’m sure that at east a few folks who play there. Even though living in Indiana lately has felt like the Dark Ages, we do have ukuleles.

Welcome from just NNW of Atlanta, @hoosierstrummer!
Here was my contribution to last week’s SOTU. Sounds like we have similar taste in music. Also, if you listen to this first thing in the morning, it’s likely that nothing worse will happen the rest of the day. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Top Bottom