Interesting ʻukulele design: Canna'lele by luthier Jakob Frank

bacchettadavid

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Fellow explorers of ʻukuleledom:

On my travels, I happened upon the website of Jakob Frank (Canna Guitars):
https://cannaguitars.com/cannalele/

I think many of the regulars here would enjoy browsing that webpage and watching his product line overview video. Jakob Frank's designs combine a number of interesting concepts.

That is a cool uke. I watched the instagram video of the soprano and it’s a very unique sound. It’s got some banjo twangi-ness.

Those are really cool. I love innovation like this, and they’re gorgeous. Here’s a video where he plays three sizes and talks through some of his build choices. Heavy headstocks on purpose (eep, lol), and the really interesting top design.

That is a cool uke. I watched the instagram video of the soprano and it’s a very unique sound. It’s got some banjo twangi-ness.
Thank you for alluding to the video on Instagram; I had not seen that. That soprano has an interesting sound. Check out the tenor and concert ukes in the comparison video (link provided in post #3 by @modwitch ); their character is quite different.

Thank you for alluding to the video on Instagram; I had not seen that. That soprano has an interesting sound. Check out the tenor and concert ukes in the comparison video (link provided in post #3 by @modwitch ); their character is quite different.
I’m gonna say that I have the same reaction I often do listening to sopranos from guitar builders who build a range of uke sizes - I think maybe the skills/preferences/instincts transfer better to the larger ukes? Like if you just keep shrinking a guitar, eventually some things don’t work? The soprano is gorgeous, but I don’t love the sound. Like the tenor much better.

I’m gonna say that I have the same reaction I often do listening to sopranos from guitar builders who build a range of uke sizes - I think maybe the skills/preferences/instincts transfer better to the larger ukes? Like if you just keep shrinking a guitar, eventually some things don’t work? The soprano is gorgeous, but I don’t love the sound. Like the tenor much better.
Luthiers exploring ʻukulele construction very frequently overbuild their early attempts. In the video you shared, Jakob calls the soprano as "prototype" and notes not only that it possesses a far smaller resonance chamber but also that it lacks the contoured soundboard and hybrid bracing pattern that were later employed on the concert and tenor. The video elides over whatever design differences remain.

Canna'leles conform to neither my visual nor sonic expectations nor preferences, but I'd nonetheless jump at the opportunity to play one and am genuinely curious to learn how a more recent soprano canna'lele sounds.

Last edited:
I'd nonetheless jump at the opportunity to play one and am genuinely curious to learn how a more recent soprano canna'lele sounds.
I think the current soprano is a 2.0 version? Maybe not. I was distracted trying to zoom in on various things in the video on my phone. I’d definitely love more sound clips.

This is really cool! I love when builders explore with different materials and techniques. Growing up in New England pretty close to where Ovation was based I kind of opened my mind to the possibility early, but I hated the look of those guitars to be honest. This is really cool though, the textured and smooth hempstone material looks really classy compared to the fiberglass, and Iʻm intrigued by their double top design.

Iʻd need to play one but Iʻm really curious about it. Really cool concept and sustainable materials, whatʻs not to love?

The top sound hole reminds me a lot of the Blackbird Clara which is one of my favorite ukes and it's LOU and clean, I prefer it over the Farallon. Like everyone else here, I'd love to play the tenor, or come across a local used one but like the Revelators, there just aren't many to go a play.

I would love it if there's someone out there with one of these Canna'leles to let us know their thoughts. It's a very intriguing build!

Top Bottom