Is there a Ukulele Underground discord?

It is for now populated primarily with bots, and I will be unplugging it soon. It was started long before I arrived, and nobody here now has the admin credentials. I have on my list of things to do to track them down and pull the plug....

....but that said, there's a small pocket of people there who do use it, the Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead crowd, and before I pull the plug, I'll see if they want to take it over as an "Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead" server, and remove any UU branding. First I have to see if that's even possible. :) It may come to pass that they'll need to start their own. But if any of those folks are reading this, you have my firm commitment that you'll know what's happening as I figure it out. Nobody will be pulling the rug out from under you....but it IS going away, so please plan accordingly.

I'll also note that UU+ briefly had a Discord server to support chat during their livestreams, but YT has of course added live chat during streams, so there is no longer ANY official UU involvement with Discord, nor will there be. It's just not something we have any interest in supporting in any form or fashion.

We have a dandy place for people to talk to each other already. :)

Funnily enough, ukuleles and Discord don't seem a good fit at all. I say that without judgement, just an observation. Look at Facebook, YT, TikTok, YT -- each of them have more ukulele content than any one person could ever possibly engage with. Absolutely swimming in it. Reddit has the one community, r/ukulele which, if you like Reddit (and I do) I can highly recommend. I joined there before I joined here, and as with YT, Facebook, Instagram, et al., lots of people do more than one of them.

But when I went to Discord specifically to see if I could figure out how to unplug our server there, I did some searching, and there's virtually no ukulele stuff at all. I was honestly surprised by this...but ultimately unconcerned. Like I said, we've had our Discord experiment, and want nothing to do with it ever again.

You can for now make your way to the Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead corner of the UU Discord if you can, and enjoy it while you can. There's no need to discuss it farther, though. Been there, not doing that again. If any of you want to be the ones to establish the ukulele beachhead on Discord, good luck and godspeed. :)
Hi Tim. Thanks for what you do. I ran across this last night and let the Ahnko Honu Discord diaspora know.

@TimWilson if I make a ukulele(or any stringed instrument possibly) discord that is not in relation to Ukulele Underground, could I post an invite Link in this thread once it's finished?

@TimWilson if I make a ukulele(or any stringed instrument possibly) discord that is not in relation to Ukulele Underground, could I post an invite Link in this thread once it's finished?
If Tim and UU officially doesn't have to be involved in the Discord and you make it not specifically UU forums or UU at all, I think you're good to go because:
Otherwise, anything YOU want to do to start an ukulele-themed Discord server, please do!

If Tim and UU officially doesn't have to be involved in the Discord and you make it not specifically UU forums or UU at all, I think you're good to go because:

Exactly. The more ukulele you want to make it, the better as far as I'm concerned. Just don't suggest that it's connected to Ukulele Underground, a trademarked commercial enterprise that belongs to a family (not mine of course) that doesn't have anything to do with Discord.

And please don't think I'm being facetious when I say that you NEED to check out the Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead chat room at the current UU Discord. It's already by far the largest community of ukulele fans on Discord. What you're looking for may already be there.

Seriously, why try to build something that already exists? Of course if you check it out and feel the need for something different, then by all means carry on!

The invite should probably also be in its own thread. 🙂

And indeed, the first people to get the invite should be the UU'ers already on Discord, rather than the hundreds of people in the forum who've already tried it and decided to pass. 🙂

Hi Tim. Thanks for what you do. I ran across this last night and let the Ahnko Honu Discord diaspora know.

Thanks, and thanks! Those folks are doing Discord exactly right. If I have the power to just turn it over to them/you, that's exactly what I'll do. I don't want that group to go away. I just need to make clear that UU official isn't connected to it.

That's why if I can't turn it over to you, I'll need to unplug it. But my ideal scenario will be to hand you the credentials and let you do with it what you will.

None of this will be happening fast. Summer at earliest, and everyone will know what's happening far in advance, and we'll walk hand in hand through that door together once we figure out what it is. 🙂

Last edited:
Exactly. The more ukulele you want to make it, the better as far as I'm concerned. Just don't suggest that it's connected to Ukulele Underground, a trademarked commercial enterprise that belongs to a family (not mine of course) that doesn't have anything to do with Discord.

And please don't think I'm being facetious when I say that you NEED to check out the Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead chat room at the current UU Discord. It's already by far the largest community of ukulele fans on Discord. What you're looking for may already be there.

Seriously, why try to build something that already exists? Of course of you check it out and feel the need for something different, then by all means carry on!

The invite should probably also be in its own thread. 🙂

And indeed, the first people to get the invite should be the UU'ers already on Discord, rather than the hundreds of people in the forum who've already tried it and decided to pass. 🙂

Thanks, and thanks! Those folks are doing Discord exactly right. If I have the power to just turn it over to them/you, that's exactly what I'll do. I don't want that group to go away. I just need to make clear that UU official isn't connected to it.

That's why if I can't turn it over to you, I'll need to unplug it. But my ideal scenario will be to hand you the credentials and let you do with it what you will.

None of this will be happening fast. Summer at earliest, and everyone will know what's happening far in advance, and we'll walk hand in hand through that door together once we figure out what it is. 🙂
We’re already almost all back on the Forum. There are a few strays yet. We’re having to recall our old Forum skills. We’re actively informing the few who haven’t made the jump.

I think putting some kind of notice of impending doom and letting it age for a few weeks is a good idea.

Nobody is in charge of the thread. We kind of work on consensus. Sheep without a shepherd, which is funny because there are a couple of clergy in the group.

Also hahaha. We almost never talk about ukuleles.

Seriously, why try to build something that already exists? Of course of you check it out and feel the need for something different, then by all means carry on
Well the honest answer is that I have a really hard time breaking into new communities, and my experience on this forum is unlike any other community I've ever experienced. I like the idea of building my own community, because it'll be easier for me to connect with new friends in that community, because everyone will know who I am. That doesn't come from a place of wanting to ego trip by any means. If anything I'm hoping to make a more welcoming and easy to break into community than I've experienced from discord in the past. Discouraging cliques in particular.

I discovered the remnant of this forum in it's UU iteration about a year and a half ago. I was blown away by the number of messages the people there logged before the group pulled up their tent stakes and moved over to Discord.

Also hahaha. We almost never talk about ukuleles.

I can confirm this... the folks there play a game with the Messages counter... and have racked up some of the highest counts (along with some of the lowest reaction scores) found anywhere on UU. After reviewing the history of this group, it appears they crashed the server once playing to score the next "K".

Silly fun, I guess, that doesn't have much to do with ukuleles... I seem to have become and honorary member of the BoHos there... or maybe the mascot? Punching bag? Time will tell...

I discovered the remnant of this forum in it's UU iteration about a year and a half ago. I was blown away by the number of messages the people there logged before the group pulled up their tent stakes and moved over to Discord.

I can confirm this... the folks there play a game with the Messages counter... and have racked up some of the highest counts (along with some of the lowest reaction scores) found anywhere on UU. After reviewing the history of this group, it appears they crashed the server once playing to score the next "K".

Silly fun, I guess, that doesn't have much to do with ukuleles... I seem to have become and honorary member of the BoHos there... or maybe the mascot? Punching bag? Time will tell...
More than once.

Well the honest answer is that I have a really hard time breaking into new communities, and my experience on this forum is unlike any other community I've ever experienced. I like the idea of building my own community, because it'll be easier for me to connect with new friends in that community, because everyone will know who I am. That doesn't come from a place of wanting to ego trip by any means. If anything I'm hoping to make a more welcoming and easy to break into community than I've experienced from discord in the past. Discouraging cliques in particular.
Poke your nose into the Ahnko honu thread. We don’t bite and are pretty welcoming. Some of the friendships go back to 2008. I’ve been in there only 10 years.

We welcome ukulele chat but that’s not the focus.

Poke your nose into the Ahnko honu thread. We don’t bite and are pretty welcoming. Some of the friendships go back to 2008. I’ve been in there only 10 years.

We welcome ukulele chat but that’s not the focus.
One of the primary things I was hoping to get out of a live chat service was the ability to ask a question and get an answer(s) very quickly. This is probably not as important of a resource for ukulele as it is for programming though.

I'll check out that server though. I've just been so focused on trying to learn the song I wrote for SOTU, and I need to post 2 NUDs still.

Last edited:
Yep. To be fair, we weren’t trying.

I didn't think that will happen again. We've significantly upped our resources to accommodate the increased traffic, and it's now the right KIND of server for a forum. (The previous one had been optimized for WordPress blog sites, which we are, uhm, not. 🤣)

I admit that I didn't really understand what's happening in Ahnko-land, but I didn't need to. I'm glad you're having fun there, and I hope it goes on forever. I'm just doing some brand-integrity cleanup wrt the NAME of the server.

Once I have a clearer picture of what's possible, I'll talk about it on the latest Ahnko thread here. It had been my thought to finish my research first, then talk to you, but the topic came up here, and it seemed a good time to address the big picture. I hope that my clumsiness isn't taken as disrespect! I have nothing but admiration for the ancient wisdoms, even if I can't exactly follow them! 🤣

I think you might have kept the thread alive by dropping in every now and then. It's been fun keeping an eye on it all.

No time to dive in, but I will probably continue lurking on the PoHos corner.

Top Bottom