Is there an alternate to Bm 5224? I just can't bend my fingers enough for this voicing.

Eggs_n_Ham

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
working on learning a basic rendition of Oh shenandoah (McQueen tabs) and that's my rough patch that stops my learning the piece. I can reach but I can't arch my ring finger enough for a clean sound. :(

My standard Bm would be 4222, which is moving the Am up two frets. I assume the "4" on the A string is to get that note as the melody string. The easy solution is to play x224, leaving out the 5 on the G string and seeing if it sounds okay leaving out the "B" note.

following up with rainbow21, I play the Bm depending on where the B is. If the B is on the G string, I play 4222; if it is on the C string I play 11 11 10 8; if it is on the E string I play X675; and with a B on the A string I play X222. I have never heard of 5224 and to be honest that doesn't seem like a Bm to me.

Numbers are reversed. 4225 would be Bm with a high minor third, similar to 2003 for Am. If you need that high note, OK, but otherwise 4222 is the same. 2222 (Bm7) may also work depending on context

following up with rainbow21, I play the Bm depending on where the B is. If the B is on the G string, I play 4222; if it is on the C string I play 11 11 10 8; if it is on the E string I play X675; and with a B on the A string I play X222. I have never heard of 5224 and to be honest that doesn't seem like a Bm to me.
Unless it's upside down and should be 4225 which is legit and easy to play with barre on fret 2 and pinky on 5 on the a string.

4675 (a gminor shape) has a nice voicing with the same high D if that high note is important for chord melody or whatever.

Are you sure you have that correctly? There isn't a C or a C# in a Bm
No, apparently I wrote it wrong, I wrote it the way it's on the tab sheet...sorry to everyone so kindly and patiently correcting me and helping me with this. I always forget how to interpret the finger number placement convention. My fault.

Numbers are reversed. 4225 would be Bm with a high minor third, similar to 2003 for Am. If you need that high note, OK, but otherwise 4222 is the same. 2222 (Bm7) may also work depending on context
5422.jpg
My mistake! I'll definitely try everyone's suggestions, thank you all so much!

My standard Bm would be 4222, which is moving the Am up two frets. I assume the "4" on the A string is to get that note as the melody string. The easy solution is to play x224, leaving out the 5 on the G string and seeing if it sounds okay leaving out the "B" note.
I'll give that a try. thanks Rainbow!

Unless it's upside down and should be 4225 which is legit and easy to play with barre on fret 2 and pinky on 5 on the a string.
I can do the barre and either 4 or 5 but not barre and 4 and 5!

I also play 4222 most of the time. If I really need that high note on the 5th fret, the barre-ing first finger ends up in a different position to usual, crossing the strings at the joint nearest to the palm. That way the ring and little fingers can reach without dragging across the strings.

Last edited:
No, apparently I wrote it wrong, I wrote it the way it's on the tab sheet...sorry to everyone so kindly and patiently correcting me and helping me with this. I always forget how to interpret the finger number placement convention. My fault.
Remember, HIGH strings are on the BOTTOM. 🙃 When you move towards the HEADstock, you are going DOWN the neck.😜 With secret codes, it's easier to keep the music theory-less rabble away🤫

Ohhhh! you're talking about 4225. I will say that I will play 422X, 4222, X222, but never in a million years would I play 4225. That A string makes the chord so tinny, something I try to avoid. Plus, it makes things more complicated and I always try to simplify.

I forgot to reply to this thread earlier, so maybe I'm misremembering the exceprt from the piece. IIRC I suggest to just play the D chord 2225 so that you have the melody note on top, but making it a BM7 chord. If the minor 7 chord sounds off, then play X225 (D chord) and mute the 4th string.

Update: After working on this song and Greensleeves, I've managed to achieve a clean sound from this chord 4225 (per Ripock). I am able to bend the distal phalanx of my small finger so it creates an accurate tone on the A string and everything else just falls into place for a good clean sound. Now I have to work on improving my chord changes, as I'm still playing haltingly- at least it's recognizable!

FWIW, for the 4225 voicing, I find it easier to partial-barre (just) the middle strings with my first finger, rather than using a full barre. This allows the wrist to rotate a bit toward the headstock. On the downside, the index probably has to back-bend a little, which some players find difficult if not impossible.

Too often, players make chord shapes like this unnecessarily difficult because they try to support the neck with the palm or side of the hand. (Usually it's the result of not using a strap.) In consequence the fourth finger has to curl back inward rather than making a more natural arch and surer, more controllable contact with the string.

Top Bottom