Strings Islander GL6-EQ woes...

conorsomahony

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone could help me with an issue or point me in the right direction.

I recently bought an Islander GL6-EQ guitarlele. and when I tuned it up to standard Guitalele tuning, the (thin) A string broke.
I bought a replacement set of Kanilea GL6 strings, but the same thing happened - When I put on the A string and tuned it to Guitalele tuning (I double-checked with a tuner app, and also against another Guitalele I have, the Yamaha GL1), the string broke straight away.

Have any of you come across this before? Or can maybe tell me how I'd figure out what is going wrong?

This is baritone scale. Stop at G-to-G or even F#-to-F#. Or get low tension guitar strings if you really want A-to-A.

This is baritone scale. Stop at G-to-G or even F#-to-F#. Or get low tension guitar strings if you really want A-to-A.
Thank you for the reply.
I’m just wondering why it is advertised with tuning A,D,G,C,E,A if the scale isn’t suitable for it? I bought it as I wanted a second guitalele tuned the same as my Yamaha but with a larger scale etc.

Hmmm... It was always advertised as an instrument intended for A-A tuning, so it really shouldn't be necessary to tune it down (though I always want to change strings to make E-E tuning possible).
https://theukulelesite.com/islander-gl6-guilele-w-uke-crazy-gig-bag.html

https://www.kanileaukulele.com/shop/shop/availablegallery/k-1-gl6-deluxe-guitarlele-sn-27326/

Can you find any sharp edges on the nut or bridge where the string has been breaking? Have you tried some pencil graphite in the notch where it breaks? Have you tried tuning it to A over a period of days instead of right off the bat? Have you tried a different brand of strings for a baritone-sized 6-string guitar?

https://www.stringsbymail.com/pepe-romero-baritone-guilele-fluorocarbon-strings-ug2-21114.html

Thank you for the reply.
I’m just wondering why it is advertised with tuning A,D,G,C,E,A if the scale isn’t suitable for it? I bought it as I wanted a second guitalele tuned the same as my Yamaha but with a larger scale etc.
It can with the right strings. I see from @Futurethink second link that you do have the proper strings for that tuning so I'm leaning towards his opinion of perhaps something on the instrument snagging/cutting the string,

another thing to consider is the break angle coming from the nut slot to the tuning peg. Depending on which way you wind the string onto the peg, one way will have a noticeably sharper break angle. Wind it the way with the "straighter" break angle. I say this as I just had a similar experience with a brand new A string breaking. When the replacement string also showed signed of trouble (not wanting to freely tune), I noticed the break angle and wound it the other way - so far so good several weeks later

Thanks @Jim Hanks and @Futurethink for the tips

I'll buy another set of Kanilea strings (before trying another brand... the Kanileas should work in theory) and try tuning it over a number of days (although this is what I essentially did when I received it originally, it was the 2nd time that I tried that I went straight for A and it snapped).
Saddle appears to be hard plastic, no rough edges, and it was down by the saddle where it appeared to break both times...
I'll put some graphite on it and on the notch slot...

Fairly underwhelmed with the GL6 so far, and haven't even played it with all string yet. Sounds dull compared to the Yamaha GL1 (which is a lovely little instrument for just picking up and playing).
The electronics/wires on the GL6 are also hanging down and visible through the sound hole, I don't know if this is standard but I would have expected them to be pinned up and not visible.

Fairly underwhelmed with the GL6 so far, and haven't even played it with all string yet. Sounds dull compared to the Yamaha GL1 (which is a lovely little instrument for just picking up and playing).
The electronics/wires on the GL6 are also hanging down and visible through the sound hole, I don't know if this is standard but I would have expected them to be pinned up and not visible.

I hope it works out for you. I’ve got the GL6 on my short list for my next purchase, and it’s not good to hear about an unpleasant experience.

I hope it works out for you. I’ve got the GL6 on my short list for my next purchase, and it’s not good to hear about an unpleasant experience.
Thank you! I’ll let you know how it goes.

I found this other thread that echoes some of the issues I’ve had in case that’s of use.

Just an update on the restringing- I managed to put on the A string, and stretched it out over a couple of nights, and did the pencil lead on the saddle too. So far so good, it’s still stretching so need to tune it up each time but looks like that worked.
I take back what I said about it sounding dull, (I guess I was just missing the sound of the A string!) overall volume seems to be lower than the GL-1 but I’m enjoying the tone!
Thanks all again for the help.

I spoke too soon, came in this evening and the A string was broken again, again down by the saddle. It doesn’t feel like there is anything like a rough edge on it but something must be happening that 3 strings have broken there. Next stop, a luthier?

Hmm, maybe. Is it definitely breaking or just pulling out Of the bridge?
That’s a good thing to check. It recently happened to me with a pin bridge. The A string knot really needs to be good.

Hi all, just took out the little metal ring in the guitar and confirmed that there’s a little bit of string still attached, so it’s a break (the other two times were breaks too)
image.jpg

Top Bottom