I've got a concert and a tenor - Which would you have as high G and which as low G?

My knee jerk choice would be to concur with the high G on concert and low G on tenor.
But you won't know what YOU prefer until you try for yourself.
My cheap*ss Yankee response would be to get tenor length low G strings first. That way you could reuse them on your concert if it doesn't tickle your fancy. Stick with inexpensive strings until you make your final decision. Then you can plunge down the nylon vs fluorocarbon rabbit hole. 😉

Based on my experience with tenors, I'd suggest something else, at least as an experiment: try it with reentrant tuning, but tuned down to Bb. It really suits a lot of tenor instruments and doesn't require special strings, so you can tune back up to GCEA if you prefer.

Based on my experience with tenors, I'd suggest something else, at least as an experiment: try it with reentrant tuning, but tuned down to Bb. It really suits a lot of tenor instruments and doesn't require special strings, so you can tune back up to GCEA if you prefer.
Bb sounds great with the linear too. I've done this on a couple of my tenors and it really suits them!

”Better?” No such thing.

If it sounds/feels/looks good to you, it IS good.

Hendrix played a “Crappy CBS-Era Strat.” He did okay with it.

Because I play low G soprano, I will fight this every step of the way. Yes, absolutely, there are instruments that do not sound good with low G, and a soprano or a concert may not be suited to low G but it's absolutely not a hard rule. Some tenors don't sound very good with low G either. I avoided soprano, agonizing that tenor scale just wasn't working for me, but I did not want to play high g. Never say never: it's only the cost of some strings to see if it really doesn't work for that particular instrument or not.
I have my original 1st ukulele (bought on my honeymoon), a 70s white label Kamaka soprano that I have strung low G, and I love it! And my new 60s-70s white label deluxe soprano is strung high G and it’s great too!

Just this past few days, a buddy bought a cheap Pineapple and strung it “Open C” gc’c’g’ with a Low G set. Naturally he wasn’t as happy as he could have been with the second string, but it Does sound a lot like a 14th C Citole, so it’s a work in progress.

If you are just starting out, I would keep both strung High-g re-entrant tuning for now. Mainly because most instructional materials are written for High-g ukuleles. Plus, there are a lot of songs that just don't sound right strummed on a Low-G uke.

But if you are really set on having one Low-G uke, I'd suggest you keep the uke you play the most and will use for your lessons and practicing, in High-g. String the other in Low-G for experimenting and just trying new stuff.

Keep it fun and interesting.

As a start, I would concur with @Kenn2018. If you really want both, I would start with the "classic choice" of a low G on the tenor. What happens later depends on the instrument, woods, strings, personal choices and preferences. Grow into it is the best way IMHO.

Try. Experiment. You can always take one step back.

Bb sounds great with the linear too. I've done this on a couple of my tenors and it really suits them!

That's exactly why I get to have 4* different tenors set up:
  • 2 linears, with 1 tuned down Bb
  • 2 re-entrants, with 1 tuned down Bb
All of them are different woods paired with different strings, chosen after going back and forth a couple of times.
Why? Because I don't like to re-tune on the fly (which will never stay in tune for longer than 3 minutes 😁).

(*There's a fifth one too, but that's an XL tuned to DGBE.)

I have a low G tenor and concert. The tenor is a Enya Nova, which is plastic. My wooden concert has better resonance than the tenor, and I prefer playing it over the tenor, because the fretboard is just the right size for my hands.

Top Bottom