Japanese sheet music for someone who doesn't speak Japanese?

bunnyo

Reaction score
Is it practical to buy Japanese sheet music? I would think music is.an international language like math, then for reading any Japanese, I should just be able to use translation software, right?

I really have to tighten an already modest belt when it comes to money (a health debt, both mine and Luna's,) so there's a piece of sheet music is pretty unusual and I'm itching for it due to it,'s rarity.
I'm not even reading music yet. Honestly, I wish this piece had come up in December instead when things should ease up a bit. But as the Stones said, "you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you get what you need" ;)

Also, is there a place with free downloadable sheet music?

Help me with this ukulele madness ;). I kind of like it.

I love the uke so much and am looking forward to playing everything in time ❤️.

Thank you all again for your patience while I learn 🙏

Reactions: TBB
There is lots of free downloadable sheet music, but quality and accuracy is very mixed. Regarding Japanese sheet music, many pay sites will show you at least the first part of the score for free and that should be enough for you to figure out if you can read it.

Well, indeed, there are loads of Tabs available online for the uke, many of them free downloads. There are threads about that too, a little search here will give you some quick results. If you have a specific area of interest, then people can give you some more detailed pointers.

As far as Japanese Tabs are concerned, this should not be a problem. However, I ordered two books by Mr. Kobayashi already, even though I don't speak or read Japanese. I can play the music alright, but there are some performance notes that I am missing, which is kind of sad. But can't do anything about it. Maybe there is someone out there who knows Japanese and also owns the books -- s/he can do the community a big service and put some translations online :)

That makes sense. I'll wait until I can find it in English. Meanwhile I'll keep up with my lessons and explore free tabs, too.

I'm so embarrassed...my medical stuff is just needing a blood calcium score done and Luna's rabies in August. So I should have said medical costs that I'll have money for, but I shouldn't indulge my craving for more music just yet.

Music should be the same, but lyrics........

Used to share music in our quartet with a lady from Japan, so lyrics to ‘Sukiyaki’ & ‘Kimi to Itsumademo’ we’re in kanji & hiragana (fortunately for me)! That was an interesting challenge. 😎

Music should be the same, but lyrics........

Used to share music in our quartet with a lady from Japan, so lyrics to ‘Sukiyaki’ & ‘Kimi to Itsumademo’ we’re in kanji & hiragana (fortunately for me)! That was an interesting challenge. 😎
Sukiyaki is an interesting song. The original Japanese-language lyrics are completely different from the English-language lyrics. The Japanese version of the song was inspired by protests against US military bases in Japan. The English version of the song (which was a top-5 hit by the American band Taste of Honey) is about a relationship breakup. Neither song is about the Japanese meal called sukiyaki.

Top Bottom