Acquired Japanese Soprano (Famous, Kiwaya, Luna, etc)

Price
Negotiable
Shipping
Included
Size
Soprano

mingus

Reaction score
Hey! Hope all are well!

Specifically, looking for a used Famous FS-5/5g or FS-4P, but am open to any other Japanese soprano.

What do you have? Any lonely Kiwaya, Famous, or Luna soprano ukuleles out there?

Great idea. I would also recommend checking out options to buy directly from Japan, given that the yen is very low at the moment. You may be surprised. Happy to share my experiences, I have bought a uke from Japanese sources several times.

Great idea. I would also recommend checking out options to buy directly from Japan, given that the yen is very low at the moment. You may be surprised. Happy to share my experiences, I have bought a uke from Japanese sources several times.

Yes, please, let me know how to best go about it!!

I've never tried this, but I notice that Amazon USA sells the Famous FS-5g, shipped by Amazon Japan. Current price is $201 with free shipping, which is cheaper than any US dealer that I have seen. I doubt that you'll get any kind of dealer setup, but these have great factory setups. I'd just worry about the international shipping.

Last edited:
There are several proxy buying services that allow you to buy items meant for the Japanese domestic market. You purchase the items through the proxy service's website/app and the item is shipped to their warehouse. They determine the shipping costs and send you the shipping options. You select the one you want, pay for it and its off to your doorstep. Generally you pay the actual item costs, a handling fee, insurance if wanted and then the shipping fee.

Buyee is the most popular service, but has some higher fees associated with it. "From Japan" is another good service that has a more favorable fee structure. You would need to determine which one makes the most sense for your needs. Most of the proxy services allow you to buy off the main JDM sites like Yahoo auctions/shopping, Mercari, and Rakuten. Yahoo Aucitons is where a lot of the good deals on used ukes comes from, but just read the description. New ukes like Lunas can be bought on Mercari and Rakuten.

There are also music stores that will ship to the US. I bought my Famous FS-4P from Ishibashi music which is a larger music store chain that also sells used instruments. Their shipping is not cheap though. It was $98 to ship my little FS-4P. They also have a very nice Kamaka HF-1 thats around $550, but $200 for shipping!

I have a Famous PROTOTYPE Soprano Cutaway I've been thinking of selling- Made in 1999. In perfect condition. It has a blank Famous label in it, indicating it was a prototype.

Last edited:
This is the link with the pictures that I originally bought it from here on U/U.... too many ukes, kind of transitioning to Mandolin- so looking at cutting back on the ukes.
This is still in the same condition I received it in, as I haven't played it except when I first received it.

Hey Mingus, Shorething here
you remember you had a great Japanese soprano but you sold it to me!!! I just ordered a famous FS-5G from Amazon. $201.15 plus sales tax if applicable free shipping. No problems no worries.

Ken

Hey Mingus, Shorething here
you remember you had a great Japanese soprano but you sold it to me!!! I just ordered a famous FS-5G from Amazon. $201.15 plus sales tax if applicable free shipping. No problems no worries.

Ken
Give us a report card when you get it.

Got one, thanks everyone!!

There are several proxy buying services that allow you to buy items meant for the Japanese domestic market. You purchase the items through the proxy service's website/app and the item is shipped to their warehouse. They determine the shipping costs and send you the shipping options. You select the one you want, pay for it and its off to your doorstep. Generally you pay the actual item costs, a handling fee, insurance if wanted and then the shipping fee.

Buyee is the most popular service, but has some higher fees associated with it. "From Japan" is another good service that has a more favorable fee structure. You would need to determine which one makes the most sense for your needs. Most of the proxy services allow you to buy off the main JDM sites like Yahoo auctions/shopping, Mercari, and Rakuten. Yahoo Aucitons is where a lot of the good deals on used ukes comes from, but just read the description. New ukes like Lunas can be bought on Mercari and Rakuten.

There are also music stores that will ship to the US. I bought my Famous FS-4P from Ishibashi music which is a larger music store chain that also sells used instruments. Their shipping is not cheap though. It was $98 to ship my little FS-4P. They also have a very nice Kamaka HF-1 thats around $550, but $200 for shipping!
This is what I have done in the past too. I have used FromJapan and ZenMarket as proxy services. I have had good experiences with them. One uke got lost in their warehouse, but they were very good about refunding me.

I'm glad you found what you were after, @mingus !

Hey! Hope all are well!

Specifically, looking for a used Famous FS-5/5g or FS-4P, but am open to any other Japanese soprano.

What do you have? Any lonely Kiwaya, Famous, or Luna soprano ukuleles out there?
I picked up the Famous Fs-5g from Amazon. Ordered it Nov. 29, and it was at my doorstep Dec. 20 from Japan with free shipping. Couldn’t be happier. It plays, and sounds so much nicer than my other budget friendly ukes.

Attachments

• IMG_9463.jpeg
    IMG_9463.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 23
Top Bottom