John Prine song contest

joo

Reaction score
Hi UU friends!

I have a sketch/ drawing of a portrait of John Prine which I made a day after he passed away in 2020.
I want to give it to someone who really likes his music and would like to have the portrait.

So I thought I should start a little "contest" here, and I will send the portrait to that someone.

All you need to do is to play any John Prine songs. On the ukulele alone, live to the camera.

I will give this about 4 weeks. Last day is 2nd of October, or the first Monday of October wherever you are.

The portrait is attached here. It is black ink and water colour on sketch paper(cartridge paper). I don't think the paper is acid free. So in years to come it may yellow.

I will send this without a frame.

Looking forward to your entries!

PLAYLIST of all entries.

john prine portrait.jpg

Last edited:
John wrote Angel From Montgomery in first person. It's the thoughts of a middle age housewife with a noncommunicative husband, coming to terms with her life. She's looking for something to hold onto... an angel from Montgomery, perhaps.

John wrote Angel From Montgomery in first person. It's the thoughts of a middle age housewife with a noncommunicative husband, coming to terms with her life. She's looking for something to hold onto... an angel from Montgomery, perhaps.

That's the snazzy new uke! Looks great! And sounds lovely - this is beautiful R-man.

Really nice Uke and rendition here, Renaissance Man! I couldn't remember where I'd heard it so many times, so I had to look it up. They did a duet when they did this song in the movie "Into the Wild"!

sometimes I hope songs can really REALLY help sort out life's problems. But at least they can be comforting or cathartic, from my own experience. They can stand as a good documentation of the reality of human relationships and struggles, like this song here. What a great songwriter John Prine was. I actually hardly listened to much of his songs until I joined the UU! Love them. I like your simple strumming, your gorgeous uke sounds and looks beautiful. And your voice has a quality that makes this even more poignant. I especially like how you sang "How the Heck.." Makes me feel that you really feel for this song too. Very fine cover, R-M. Thank you!

Hello In There needs no prior explanation.

THANK YOU, John Prine, for writing this. And THANK YOU, R-M, for playing this for us. Makes my heart ache listening to this. That playful, sweet picking complements the wistfulness and sadness in the words. It (the picking) reminds me of time and water skipping and slipping away from our fingers.

So stoked to have our first 2 fine covers from Renaissance-Man! Thank you, sir!
You are a great player with a lot of heart. I love what you do.

Dear UU friends, there is no limit to how many John Prine songs you wanna bring. I am looking forward to more.

(my sketch is not so good but I am just using this as an excuse for us to play and listen to some JP songs)

later!

Here's another John Prine song that I recorded this afternoon. I was having trouble picking up my vocals using the little action camera setup, so I switched to recording with my handheld audio-only recorder.

Here's my cover of Some Humans Ain't Human. I removed the dated political monologue, and changed a few questionable words.

Wow! So good to see these songs. thank you so much Alan, Brian and Jim! And awesome to see another one from you, R-M!
I have not listened to the "new" entries yet, taking a break from the computer. Will do that later tonight.

I have made a playlist. It is included in my intro post.

Later!

Here's another John Prine song that I recorded this afternoon. I was having trouble picking up my vocals using the little action camera setup, so I switched to recording with my handheld audio-only recorder.

Here's my cover of Some Humans Ain't Human. I removed the dated political monologue, and changed a few questionable words.

when people (including myself) utter the line "I am only human" when they make mistakes, it is like, as humans, we are flawed anyway. I don't really know what "humans" are supposed to be like. I think most people are capable of hate, or any other qualities we wish we don't possess. At least I know I am that way. So I try not to expect too much from humans. Maybe some humans are just kind, honest and loving all the way. The humans in this JP song sound like they don't care at all. Great song to bring to the contest, R-M! So succinct.

Oh I wish I knew more about the meaning behind this song. So it seems most people think it is about drugs, but I also read somewhere that it is not. My gut feeling when I heard this the first time was that it isn't just about drugs but any distraction that can offer temporary escape from the loneliness and the despair in life, but which doesn't sit well with the law, mainly with religious institutions ("my sister is a nun!"). Do you have any idea or knowledge about this, Alan? By the way, I like that sigh you let out after you sang "this morning". Such a fine cover. Thank you, Alan!

Oh Baby, it's a big old goofy world.

Such a great song. Love this one. You look smart with the dark glasses, Jim. I was trying to see the reflection on the lens. :---) And is that a tenor guitar? Sounds good. Thanks so much for bringing this fine cover to the contest!

Such a great song. Love this one. You look smart with the dark glasses, Jim. I was trying to see the reflection on the lens. :---) And is that a tenor guitar? Sounds good. Thanks so much for bringing this fine cover to the contest!
When my kids were three, I got them a couple of yard sale instruments and tuned them to open chords and let them whale away. Clay had a tenor guitar and Darcy had a mandolin-banjo. A few years later, Clay asked me to put a pick guard on his guitar to "make it a Martin". It now has nylon strings tuned DGBE and I play it as though it were a baritone uke.
JIM & Clay at 3.jpg Clay & Darc in Baltimore.jpg

Love the photos, Jim!!!
I have never heard of or seen a mandolin-banjo. Sounds so cool.
I love what the boys were wearing, who dressed them up?

And, Clay's guitar is the one you played in the video? Wow. Clay was a BIG boy. That tenor guitar looked kinda smallish in his hands. :--)
Aww. such lovely photos. Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom