Journey Instruments OF660 travel guitar UPDATE!!!!!

I'm a fan of the Journey company. Thank you for sharing your travel guitar pics. I've owned a few of their ukes. A friend of mine brought a Yamaha APXT2 travel guitar to jam with us recently and I was blown away by the size, sound, neck feel, and playability. In fact, it might be the easiest to play guitar I've held. The tuners and case were the only things I'd have changed(which he did). I might order one of those Yamaha travel guitars to keep in the campervan.

The UPDATE is I sold it. Two main reasons, playability and volume. The neck shape is a D with a flat area at the back. I just could not get along with it, was my most difficult to fret guitar. I tried everything from lowering the action just short of buzzing to extra light strings. The other issue was volume, it's on the quiet side, but the over all tone was nice with a good amount of bass. But I have a soft touch and you almost couldn't hear when finger picked

I ordered a Journey Instruments OF 312 all mahogany guitar from Amazon. It has the same detachable neck and travel case/backpack. I played both side by side and there was a big difference on both accounts. This has a round C shaped neck which I am use to and has excellent volume and tone. The OF660 was sold and it's been 4 months with the new gal and she's a keeper.

The all carbon 0F660 would have been great if I lived on a sailboat or camper van but I dont.

View attachment 170142View attachment 170143View attachment 170144
Going down the same path.. just returned the cf and ordered the mahogany. What strings do you prefer on yours?

Going down the same path.. just returned the cf and ordered the mahogany. What strings do you prefer on yours?

I tried Phosphor Bronze and they sounded nice, then switched to 80/20 and I prefer those, which I usually don't. But individual guitars have there own preference. Both set were light medium 12 - 54 Ernie Ball Earth wood.

Good luck with your new mahogany model, another member reached out to me and did the very same thing and he is very happy with the mahogany. Let me know how you like it.

Last edited:
Hi Dave,
I LOVE it. it is a perfect guitar for camping singalongs and travel and so much more rich in harmonics than the cf model. Thanks a bunch! I am super happy.

Hi Dave,
I LOVE it. it is a perfect guitar for camping singalongs and travel and so much more rich in harmonics than the cf model. Thanks a bunch! I am super happy.

I'm glad that everything worked out so well and you love the mahogany model. You nailed the description of the tone, it's nice enough to be a daily player. Enjoy those campfire sing alongs.

Top Bottom