Just In Case

My most played ukuleles travel the least, and they are in hard cases at home. Each has either a Boveda bag or an Oasis humidifier, hygrometer, tuner, and a spare battery (all my tuners and hygrometers take the same battery). The hard cases have tiny storage, and they are tight fitting cases. I unbutton the strap at the bottom end and fold the strap under the headstock.

I have nice heavily padded gig bags for soprano, concert, and tenor, but I don't use them much. On the rare occasion that I do pack a uke into a gig bag, put in a tuner, spare battery, and set of strings.

Nice thread!

Love the idea of taking a flute in the same case. Haven't tried that, but would be great to keep both together so both are easily accessible. (NAF was the instrument I was starting to take up right before I started taking up ukulele, and I still love both - (along with hand drumming, when it won't be too loud for the kids....).

Out of curiosity, what kind of flute do you usually keep that fits? I started traveling with a small High B bamboo flute, since it would fit in my business carry-on, but am wondering now if a larger one might fit inside a ukulele case in a way that still keeps both safe.
(Although, then I would have to find a way to bring the ukulele case along on the business trip....)
Thanks!!

I also got into the NAF during the pandemic, right before the uke. I definitely got a bit carried away with both and have a nice little collection. I also enjoy some good hand drumming! We could have a fun little jam, if we were to ever cross paths.

I've purchased at least 3-4 flutes from Michael Longrider on Etsy. He makes affordable smaller sized flutes that have a great tone. Check out this curly maple high F#!! This high G# is also nice. If they're small enough and your outside pocket is big enough, it could fit there. Usually, I keep 'em in the body of the case, snuggled under the corner neck rest.

In my crossrock bari case - my Favilla, Sweetwater tuner, a boveda bag, a couple of microfiber cloths, a foldable inversion chord chart, and a Capo!

In my old Kamoa gig bag - I have my music stand. It fits nicely in a tenor soft sided gig bag and makes it easy to carry. In this bag I can also add my iPad and or sheet music.

I don't play often these days with local uke groups, but when I do, these two case are all I need to carry.

My three are all pretty identical....Humidifier Bags and hygrometers. A micro cloth, tuners in all three, capo, Don't know why but that little tag the comes on the tuner heads saying something about thanks for buying and a set of strings... lol I will probably have more in the padded hard case gig bag i just got with the new uke but for now that's about it.

I'll get into the pocket(s) later!
Just got back home to WA from a 1.5 month stay in The Bay and emptied out the gig bag. Here's what's made it in to* the bag a longer trip...

(is it "into" here, @Patty ? 🤔)

1000029215.jpg

From L to R, top to bottom...
  • Filipino pattern woven strap with strap locks
  • Lit'l chord book (I should use this more)
  • Notebook and pen for notes or sketches
  • Pitch pipe, uke notes of course
  • Kazoo
  • Polish and cloth
  • Vietnamese jaw harp, called a 'dan moi'
  • Ukulenny shaker
  • Two capos (enough to share, I guess?)
  • Ganesha from a good friend. "He is widely revered as the remover of obstacles and thought to bring good luck; the patron of arts and sciences; and the deva of intellect and wisdom."
  • Face mask, 'just in case'
  • Luchador mask pouch for my nail supplies
  • Matches
  • Thumb pick (hardy used)
  • CR2032 batteries, for tuner and LR Baggs pickup
  • Eye drops (I should add cough drops)
  • Folding phone stand, for recording vids
  • Foam nail file block
  • Nail clipper
  • Glass nail file for light shaping
  • Metal nail file for heavy shaping
  • Fine grit sand paper for final smoothing
Phew! Thank goodness for big pockets!

Note: I usually have extra strings in there too, but these were in a separate box for my long trip, since I drove.

Just got back home to WA from a 1.5 month stay in The Bay and emptied out the gig bag. Here's what's made it in to* the bag a longer trip...

View attachment 166685

• Kazoo
  • Polish and cloth
  • Ukulenny shaker
  • Ganesha from a good friend. "He is widely revered as the remover of obstacles and thought to bring good luck; the patron of arts and sciences; and the deva of intellect and wisdom."
  • Matches
  • Foam nail file block
  • Nail clipper

Note: I usually have extra strings in there too, but these were in a separate box for my long trip, since I drove.
Where do you put the ukulele? (Here, “into” is the usual form.)

View attachment 166685

• Kazoo
  • Polish and cloth
  • Ukulenny shaker
  • Matches
  • Foam nail file block
  • Nail clipper

Wait, I get it! You use a tenor gig bag for a soprano uke, so you have room for all that stuff.

Wait, I get it! You use a tenor gig bag for a soprano uke, so you have room for all that stuff.
I posted the uke portion on the OP. The stuff above fits in these outer pockets. When I've been traveling recently with no check-in, I've been doing a backpack and a uke gig bag as my two items. I'm debating if I should take a wooden sorpano to Asia or if i should get an Outdoor uke. I'm leaning towards the latter, as it'll keep my anxiety levels lower! 😅

1000029211.jpg

Access Gig Bag (GryphonStrings.com sticker was already on it)
I was pretty dismissive of Gig Bags until I bought a tenor ukulele from a UU Forum member. I had the choice of it being shipped in an O'ahu hard case, or what the seller described as a very nice well-padded gig bag. At the time I had 2 extra O’ahu hard cases, so I chose the gig bag. I am very glad I did. I now use it for club meetings and gigs. Why? Because it has padded shoulder straps. It’s made of ripstop Nylon, has robust zippers, it’s very well padded, it has a moveable “pillow” to support the neck of my uke, best of all, it’s roomy so my tenor can go in it with its strap attached. Which makes setup and teardown that much quicker.

Access Gig Bag1.png
Access Gig Bag3.jpg
I don’t put much in the gig bag: A tenor uke, extra strings, extra 2032 batteries, a tuner & an extra KN95 face mask. I don’t put anything breakable in the outside pockets; which can be accidentally crushed.

ChromaCast Pro Music Stand Carrying Case. (For everything else)
Containing my music stand, (with a clip-on light, a uke hanger & a cup holder, page holders for windy days outside), music binder, iPad (sometimes), a small tool kit for changing strings and tightening screws, nail files, a backup D’Addario mini tuner, 2032 batteries, ukulele capo (never used), cough drops and throat lozenges. Small pack of Kleenex, notepad.& pen, Sharpie fine point marker, uke club name badge—and a Kazoo I never took out of my bag.

What can I say? I was a Boy Scout & Scout Master and was trained to always be prepared.

Top Bottom