Kala Revelator Prototype on Reverb

Jerryc41

Reaction score
This popped up in an ad on a webpage - a Kala Revelator Prototype. Interesting. Only $1,399. No, I won't be buying it.

Interesting, so much the same, so much is different. It's called the Revelator but also the Night Owl. Most obvious is the shape of the sound hole is larger which makes both sides of the top bout as wide as the bottom. Maybe because I'm used to the original, it seems out of proportion. The way the fretboard cuts around the sound hole is cool. And walnut for a soundboard isn't common either. Looks great, would love to hear side by side sound comparison, but then would the difference be because of the body shape or the walnut? Also wonder if this shape was Pete's brainchild or if Kala is expanding on a great design?

There have been a few of these showing up, on Reverb and a couple of other places as well... time to clear out the old "first takes" at the Kala factory, I guess... This one is SOLD, FYI...

I just spent this much getting my timing belts changed on my Toyota!

Pre-covid, Kala used to have Saturday sales in their warehouse to clear out all these experimental models... now there is an online shop of course:

Interesting, so much the same, so much is different. It's called the Revelator but also the Night Owl. Most obvious is the shape of the sound hole is larger which makes both sides of the top bout as wide as the bottom. Maybe because I'm used to the original, it seems out of proportion. The way the fretboard cuts around the sound hole is cool. And walnut for a soundboard isn't common either. Looks great, would love to hear side by side sound comparison, but then would the difference be because of the body shape or the walnut? Also wonder if this shape was Pete's brainchild or if Kala is expanding on a great design?
The look is diferent!
1705863464192.png

A tip: If you are buying anything on Reverb, click on "Make an Offer," if that is available. You can do the same with eBay. I've saved hundreds doing that.

I could be wrong, but I believe this is one of Pete's prototypes. He made quite a few until he got his design exactly where he wanted it.

That would depend on what tools you have. They start with a solid piece of wood and hollow-out the body. Several other uses are made that way.

True... but look at all the little tasks they did away with:

Forget that cutout on the left side of the fingerboard... No need now for 6 different fret lengths either, just one. "Cut out" making that plunge cut into the face to make that oval hole (saves one step) and just run the router in from the edge and into the modified hole whose far edge is completed by the side, which saves a bit of material. Who needs those two bottom dots anyway? And don't sand or finish the inside back where it shows through the hole quite as much...

It all adds up!

Top Bottom