Kamaka pineapple soprano with open gear tuners !

DJ Mango

Reaction score
What do you think ?

1_ea4e615a-78d3-4d65-afef-4a04d4b56603_1680x.jpg

Ooh... how much is the obvious question.

<eidt> I'm guessing it will be about $1,000.

Last edited:
I think I want that beauty. Wil be perfect after putting on some friction tuners.

I personally do not like guitar style tuners on a soprano. Otherwise, it looks like a very nice uke.

I like the look on this particular ukulele . They're Gotoh open gear .
I saw this used 2006 model for sale online at $1000 .

I think Kanilea has side-geared tuners on all their non-custom models (including soprano). If someone gifted me one, I would not turn it down.

Screenshot 2023-11-26 170324.png

Interestingly to me , the open gear tuners were put on by the Kamaka's owner or at their request .

I like open geared. Work nice and good ones last forever. I don't mind the extra ounces.

My concerts have three open gear, three sealed, and one Kluson clones.

Interestingly to me , the open gear tuners were put on by the Kamaka's owner or at their request .
Well, as the French say, one man's fish is another man's poisson. (Oh! The spell checker has no sense of humour).

I wouldn’t turn it down! You can always change the tuners too, can’t you? What’s the story here! Did you buy this one?

I wouldn’t turn it down! You can always change the tuners too, can’t you? What’s the story here! Did you buy this one?
You can change the tuners back to the originals but that would leave exposed filled screw holes .
The story here is I've never seen a Kamaka pineapple soprano with open gear tuners .

Yuck! It ruins a classic silhouette, in my opinion.

In my opinion the gold and mother of pearl open geared tuners compliment the beautiful Koa wood .
And look better than the tacky white plastic and black planetary tuners than are now standard on Kamaka sopranos .
Also , for changing / experimenting with different strings I sometimes prefer open geared .

123196475_3050118095087731_3322758645003985544_n.jpg

Looks good to me. 😀

I have a few (much less expensive) Sopranos with open side gears and I enjoy playing them. Such open geared side tuners are, in my experience, light and functional. The Uke in the OP is a high class instrument and I’d be more interested in playing it than in a relatively minor detail. However, that said, on Sopranos I do have a strong preference for simple friction tuners and open geared tuners are accepted (a practicality) rather than desired. I dislike enclosed side gears, IMHO they are far too heavy for small instrument.

Last edited:
Top Bottom