kanile'a oha super tenor. Mahogany back and sides

benjibabo

Reaction score
Hello

In Australia (I am in Australia) there is a new in store kanile'a oha super tenor Mahogany back and sides KOA top. New never used from 2019 for $657 USD discounted. Does anyone have any experience with these instruments would you recommend them? Seems a steal for a Hawaiian made instrument. My current instrument is a Pono MTD CR. Looking to add a tenor to play low g tuning to.

Thank you

Ben

Oha’s are great from what I’ve heard and played but they are not Hawaiian made, they are made from Kanilea trained teams in China. In the US new tenors start at $900 so seems like a good deal.

I have a couple islanders from Kanilea (not HI) as well as one Kanilea baritone (from HI) and think their non Hawaiians are quite good.

The older (more than 5 years ago) OHA's with the mahogany backs were made in Hawaii. Kanile'a discontinued that product line after a year or two; I'm told because they couldn't get the quality they wanted for a price that didn't overlap with their all-koa product line. From what I recall, those OHA's were not as bright or loud as the all-koa Kanilea's as well has having a simpler finish. I think you have to decide if that price is worthwhile for how the instrument feels and sounds to you. How did it wind up sitting in this shop for 5 years?

Hello

In Australia (I am in Australia) there is a new in store kanile'a oha super tenor Mahogany back and sides KOA top. New never used from 2019 for $657 USD discounted. Does anyone have any experience with these instruments would you recommend them? Seems a steal for a Hawaiian made instrument. My current instrument is a Pono MTD CR. Looking to add a tenor to play low g tuning to.

Thank you

Ben

I have a Kanile'a Oha-ST Premium Super Tenor (pictured below) which was built in Hawaii in 2020, with a Koa top, Mahogany back & sides, and a satin finish. I like mine a lot. It looks, sounds & plays great. In fact, it's my daily player! I don't know about the new imported Oha line, but I would definitely recommend a "new" older Hawaiian-made Oha Super Tenor, especially at that price. If you're able to check that one out in person, and you like the way it plays & sounds, I'd say get it while you can. They don't make 'em like that anymore!

kanile_a_oha-stp_23504-3.jpg

I have a Kanile'a Oha-ST Premium Super Tenor (pictured below) which was built in Hawaii in 2020, with a Koa top, Mahogany back & sides, and a satin finish. I like mine a lot. It looks, sounds & plays great. In fact, it's my daily player! I don't know about the new imported Oha line, but I would definitely recommend a "new" older Hawaiian-made Oha Super Tenor, especially at that price. If you're able to check that one out in person, and you like the way it plays & sounds, I'd say get it while you can. They don't make 'em like that anymore!

View attachment 175618
Thank you sounds like it is now or never and a good Uke. Is the version with the walnut feet board but similar. Unfortunately it is a 9 hour drive to Melbourne from Sydney but thank you for the info

The older (more than 5 years ago) OHA's with the mahogany backs were made in Hawaii. Kanile'a discontinued that product line after a year or two; I'm told because they couldn't get the quality they wanted for a price that didn't overlap with their all-koa product line. From what I recall, those OHA's were not as bright or loud as the all-koa Kanilea's as well has having a simpler finish. I think you have to decide if that price is worthwhile for how the instrument feels and sounds to you. How did it wind up sitting in this shop for 5 years?
Just think perhaps because it’s Australia and a different market to elsewhere

Thank you sounds like it is now or never and a good Uke. Is the version with the walnut feet board but similar. Unfortunately it is a 9 hour drive to Melbourne from Sydney but thank you for the info
You're welcome mate, cheers!

Top Bottom