Keeping Track

magicspeller

Reaction score
A question for my fellow UAS sufferers (happy sufferers, of course) ...

How do you keep track of your ukuleles? Do you have a good database, spreadsheet, or app you use to track brands and models, purchase and sale dates, purchasing sources, modifications (such as strings) and so forth? I could create my own, but why do that if it's already been done?

I print the online page(s) showing the uke and specs, and the receipt / invoice for buying it. All are in sheet protectors, in the back of a binder holding my collection of useful uke info. My three Lanikais were simple, just printed the whole 2006 catalog and the invoices.

I have never thought of doing something like that. I buy them, I play them, I look at them, I sniff the sound hole. Just basically enjoy them for what they are, a musical instrument.

That being said you did make me think of a good reason to list and detail them, an insurance claim. I will give this some serious thought, thanks

Each has a computer folder containing logfiles of purchase info, playing impressions, string changes, adjustments, problems, and repairs. I take photos wherever/whenever necessary.

Those that have been 'redistributed' are put into an "X" folder.

I keep a simple list on a standard 'Word' document . . . Make / Model / Year / Description / Serial Number, etc.

Original is on my computer; back-up copy on a thumb drive. Good for inventory and/or insurance purposes.

I do a little of "all of the above"! I have a running alphabetical spreadsheet with my current herd at the bottom with dates, bought price, details... and when I sell a uke, that line gets moved up to the "For Sale / Sold" section (which is where I track my "student ukes" for teaching). Then in Pictures I have a folder of pics under "My Herd" for each uke, and another folder for "My Former Herd" where they get moved when sold. And as if that wasn't enough, in Documents I have another "My Herd" folder with all the sellers info on each uke, strings, builder info and misc info. But with 30 couple years in IBM, I'm kind of a documentation nerd (plus my memory doesn't retain like it used to!)

I have the relevant information in my signature. How much I paid is stored on my notes app, which is automatically stored on the cloud as a back up. I’m hoping I never get to the point of needing a spreadsheet or some other form of paperwork tracking. 4 seems to be good for me.

I keep a Word document with details on the ukuleles: When I bought them, serial numbers, price, (and I've added in information on shipping costs, where I bought it, PayPal fees, etc. if appropriate), details on the ukulele, and if sold, when I sold it and what it sold for. I didn't initially keep more information than year purchased, (now I'm keeping the exact date), serial number, and price, but once UAS struck, I decided to keep more details. I even kept shipping dimensions and weight when available now, in case I might resell at some point. Makes it easier to estimate shipping costs, which will undoubtedly keep rising over time.

When I have photos, sound samples, or other specific information, I set up a separate folder for that.

I keep string changes in a spread sheet, tracking what I currently have on the ukulele, when I did the string change, and what I've tried in the past and what I thought about those strings. Keeps me from putting on a new set of strings that I had already tried but didn't like on a specific ukulele.

I also put in the ukulele case information on when I did the string change and what I put on there.

A question for my fellow UAS sufferers (happy sufferers, of course) ...

How do you keep track of your ukuleles? Do you have a good database, spreadsheet, or app you use to track brands and models, purchase and sale dates, purchasing sources, modifications (such as strings) and so forth? I could create my own, but why do that if it's already been done?
All my ukes were purchased from retail/online vendors. They "submit" an invoice of which I take a screenshot ( .pdf). I store that in a folder named "Uke Purchase Invoices". If the vendor provides online photos of the 'specific; uke I will add a screenshot of it, or a link (as with TUS). That folder is stored in another folder "Ukuleles" which has all other Uke related stuff in their organized topics. An "alias" copy of the invoice folder is also stored in my Home insurance folder. These folders are backed up to my iCloud account, so if anything happens to my desktop, they can be accessed independently. If a uke is sold the info is moved to a sub folder, so labeled.

No need for any complicated applications or spreadsheets, just use your computer file systems.

There is a pile of six HSCs against the wall. Two are empty as the ukuleles are on stands. Sometimes I have to use trial and error to find the ukulele to switch out to. Nearby are a few gig bags that are rarely used unless I take one out of the house.

If I need details about a particular ukulele, I do a search on this forum to find the NUD I hope I did.

Yes. Just keep the collection small and it is even easier.

If you need a spreadsheet or database, that is a cry for help! :LOL: :LOL:
I commend you on your fantastic memory. ;) I wouldn't remember when I changed strings, what I had on there previously, what I thought about them, and so on unless I kept a record of it. Priorities on what I fill up my brain cells with, and that kind of information can be off-loaded to my computer.

Actually, tracking ukuleles I tried and then sold has helped me get UAS under control. I now know very specifically what works for me and won't buy anything unless it meets those specs. (And don't expect to be tempted by any additional ukuleles, though you never know.)

Made a folder for each of my ukes. Plus I have a listing for each one in my PassWord app that is easily accessed from other software.

Started out with just a simple Word doc with some basic info about when and where I purchased the uke, and how much I paid and that was about it. I added repairs and adjustments and original strings.
As the collection grew, I realized I wanted more information at my fingertips. Especially when I sold one or wanted to answer a question about a uke I have. When they are sold, the item goes into an X-file of Sold, Traded, Donated or even Returned ukes.

I try to keep any original listing info. Specs. And even relevant info about the luthier or company that made the instrument. A copy of my PayPal transaction, and anything else I might want to refer to in the future such as any repairs or adjustments and original strings.

When I look at some of my earlier files, I regret that I didn't make better notations about the instrument & transactions. Live and learn.

I was told by my home insurance carrier that the more information and proof (photos) that I owned the ukuleles, the easier it will be to make a claim for any loss. Especially for determining replacement values. So I have copies in the cloud as well as my backup files.

I think I'll add Wiggy's categories about playing impressions & string changes. (If I can remember to do so.)

I have a list of ukes I've tried/owned since I caught the UAS virus, by uke size. I keep it on my phone's Notes app. Over 40 ukes in 10 years, so I guess I'm just a piker, compared to some, but l learned a lot,

For a while in the early days, it was a frequent in/out cycle, mostly sops, but I never got over 12 in-house at one time. I didn't record buy/sell prices... probably a good thing, else I'd have to face the reality that I lost a bit of dough on resale along the way, but nothing terrible. I've slowed way down , have only 5 ukes, am satisfied, but still like looking, which is cheap entertainment. The joy I got in my uke journey from the variety of sounds was worth it. I'm glad I kept a list.

I had a sheet of paper, probably still do , that listed all the guitars over the years. Kinda gave up on that after say 50 or so. I’ve bought and sold plenty. Sadly I miss some of the ones that have gone. But with ukes so far I have 8 and have been alert not to go nuts. My wife will chime in when she spots a new case, so it keeps me under control. For now anyway………

I love making spreadsheets.

I only just realized that I dont have enough ukuleles. I have 8 ukuleles, have let 3 go over the years. Hardly enough to make spread sheets for, but still enough that my wife thinks me a mad ukulele horder 😂

I do something similar, keeping the string packet envelope in the case and writing dates and notes about what I like or don’t like on the envelope.

Top Bottom