KLOS ukes. Anyone have a thought?

Bobalonia

Reaction score
Curious what might be the opinion on these carbon fiber ukes?

I advise that you find a way to play one in person. They have a rich and interesting tone, but the sound and even the feel is not exactly the same as a good wood instrument. Some people like that and some people just can't accept the difference. Of course, carbon fiber is more durable and shouldn't have the same humidity problems as wood.

I have one of the concerts that I am in the process of reviewing now. It’s fantastic and I cannot wait to compare it to the Blackbird Clara.

I thought the tenors were excellent, though there were a couple of setup changes needed on the 8-string (wrong string order for traditional 8-string ukulele), and I would ask for slightly lower action (the action was set to standard…which is too high for eight string with the amount of tension needed).

There was also a sound difference between the full carbon and the hybrid models…which surprised me.

Ultimately, I don’t think you can go wrong with a Klōs. If a person could not afford one, I would send them to the Enya Nova Pro; if they could afford one, the only other instrument to compare it to is the Blackbird Farallon (which I have not reviewed, but I know Besley has), but the Blackbird will be more expensive; and I think the Klōs is the only 8-string option in a synthetic material.

Thanks everybody. Interesting input as always. I own a Rainsong OM guitar and it’s nice. Very good sound and feel. Of course Rainsong just announced they are going out of biz. Warranty void! LOL

I got and early sub $500 KLOS tenor with a wood neck. Had an issue with the bridge coming loose and sent it in and they converted it to a string through. I think they merely drilled through the sandwich top. But at 5+ years I have had no issues since. It stays out in a gig bag so it gets used more than some of my other ones. Pretty bullet proof. I tend to take the KLOS on trips and don't worry about it.

I tune mine to Bb and with the lower tuning it sounds pretty rich, especially for a plastic uke. The wood neck is a bit on the chunky side. but it still plays well.

Mine has the carbon rods in the neck, which seems to be standard on the hybrid. I would like to A/B it to the CF neck as I have a coupe notes that are a little bit challenged and wonder if the CF might be more consistent.

John

Here's a in-depth review from someone down by me.

If you don't like the black carbon fiber, they now offer something more "wood" like also.

Ask and you shall receive! They also posted separate review videos of both the tenor and baritone.

Those guys at Uke Store are always a pleasure to watch. Thanks for posting.
I believe the KLOS is probably a good buy. My problem now is I have too many and feel like I should release a few before buying more. Between guitars, ukes, and keyboards, I have a full stable. Such is the collectors issue I suppose.
but thanks gang, I enjoyed your responses

KLOS has a $150 off sale. Go directly to their site... "Save $150 with code: KLOSMAS23 at checkout!"

Ends Dec. 12th

Not a bad deal. Two questions:

1) What is the timberline carbon option on the tenor? Is it tonally the same?

2) Has anyone had the luxury of comparing the all carbon Klos model to a Blackbird eKoa tenor back to back? Or even the old Blackbird BTU all carbon? I’m curious which ones are more of a cannon because I could use something for the uke group that has extra volume/projection(solos), can go out of the house in the winter time, and is nearly indestructible so I can fly with it saving my expensive Kamaka those jobs.

Not a bad deal. Two questions:

1) What is the timberline carbon option on the tenor? Is it tonally the same?

2) Has anyone had the luxury of comparing the all carbon Klos model to a Blackbird eKoa tenor back to back? Or even the old Blackbird BTU all carbon? I’m curious which ones are more of a cannon because I could use something for the uke group that has extra volume/projection(solos), can go out of the house in the winter time, and is nearly indestructible so I can fly with it saving my expensive Kamaka those jobs.

I have one of the original hybrid Klos tenor ukes, and a Blackbird (eKoa) Farallon. And while the hybrid Klos sounds good, and plays great - it doesn't sound anywhere near as full as the Farallon. But the Farallon is now $1900, or about as much as most Kamakas! So if you want an affordable and durable road warrior I'd recommend the hybrid Klos ($700) first, and the all-carbon ($1300) second.

Last edited:
I originally intended to buy a Klos. I like the look of the new timberline option too. I have never played one but have heard one played by a very advanced musician. He loves it. I have two friends that are both accomplished musicians. They both own Iz Martins and one has a well known custom and he purchased the Farallon. They told me about their experience with the Farallon. Based on their thoughts and recommendations I opted for the Farallon and have not been disappointed. It sits by my recliner on a stand because it doesn't need humidification here in the desert so I end up playing it very often in between my other ukes. It has great volume, sustain and playability.

There is a sunburst Farallon listed on the FMM (Flea Market Music) site for $1550 if interested.

Top Bottom