Lanakai CK-TEK

aqualung23

Reaction score
Maybe look at these instead, solid woods as opposed to a laminate, plus set up is included:

http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-smht-ce-all-solid-tenor-cutaway-electric.html
http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-ka-ste-c-solid-spruce-top-cutaway-tenor-electric.html
http://www.theukulelesite.com/ka-smlte-c-solid-okoume-tenor-slothead-electric.html

I'm sure there are lots of other's other there as well in this price range with a solid woods and set up from Mim, Ukerepublic, etc. it is just I happened to have HMS open in my browser at the moment! :)

Thanks guys! I didn't even realize it wasn't solid because it just says it has curly loa top, back, and sides on the lanikai site. Kind of misleading. Ill check out those recs and would appreciate any others with a good pickup in the 300-400 range. I impulse bought my first and only uke, a fender Pa'ina, and although I like it very much, it seems I could get a lot better if I shop around for a while.

Lesson number one of uke advertising - if it doesn't say "solid" it isn't.

Lesson number one of uke advertising - if it doesn't say "solid" it isn't.

Lesson number two of uke advertising - even if it says "solid", it might not be.

Lesson number three of uke advertising - if it says "Koa", it might not be.

Seriously though...

Firstly, stay away from Amazon. If you can't play a Uke in person, buy it from someone knowledgeable and trustworthy. We have Mim, Andrew and Mike from HMS, Mr Mainland himself and many others who are active members of the UU forum. They will ensure you don't end up with a junker, but something immediately playable. Alternatively, there are the UU classifieds. You'll occasionally come across something in your price range.

Secondly, I've played a few Lanikai Ukes, and while they are far from being the worst Ukes on the market, they struck me as being a but "overbuilt". Another reason to avoid Amazon is that all the Lanikai I tried were in Sam Ash in Manhattan. The actions were unplayably high and the intonation was way out. Any Uke you buy from Amazon will likely be the same,.

Amozan along with many internet stores like Musciansfriend, Music123 and the like are "drop shippers". They get them in and ship them out. There are plenty of vendors like HMS, Elderly, Uke Republic, MIM and KPK (www.pilikoko.com) that will do a proper setup and ensure your instrument will play correctly when you receive it. You may not get free shipping but in most cases you'll be better off unless you're into tweaking you new ukulele to get the correct action and intonation.
You may also get one from the "drop shippers" and things will be just fine.

Thanks for the input. I agree it is best to try things in person, however the only store which sells more than one type of uke within driving distance is guitar center. From their reputation and apparent care in setting up Ukes, my next one is coming from HMS. I may get this one even though it is only solid top because its very affordable, has good reviews, and has the fishman kula pickup, which I think is an upgrade from the passive system on my fender.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/gretsch-solid-top-tenor-cutaway-fishman-active-pickup-gig-bag.html

From the sound of it, you have a Fender Pa'ina. The Lanikai isn't any kind of upgrade, dude. Save your money and throw it in the direction of one of the UU folks.

Oh, you're talking about the Gretsch. Andrew speaks very highly of them, so it's worth a look. Alternatively, the Kala travel tenor is awesomely comfortable, playable and loud. Maybe think about one of those ?

I think I'm going to Stowe away a little extra cash and go with the kala solid mahogany electric tenor cutaway recomended earlier in the threqd. and if the setup is that good, i have no qualms about paying HMS the $20 to ship it. That seems like it will be a fairly significant upgrade and ill still be able to get $250 on eBay from one of the many fender nuts out there.

Thanks for the input. I agree it is best to try things in person, however the only store which sells more than one type of uke within driving distance is guitar center. From their reputation and apparent care in setting up Ukes, my next one is coming from HMS. I may get this one even though it is only solid top because its very affordable, has good reviews, and has the fishman kula pickup, which I think is an upgrade from the passive system on my fender.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/gretsch-solid-top-tenor-cutaway-fishman-active-pickup-gig-bag.html

Guitar Center is a crapshoot. Most of the Lanikai, Luna and Cordobas they sell are decent ukes but typically desperately in need of some set up work. However, since you have the chance to handle them, you can find a gem sometimes if you know what you are looking for. I was trying to find a cheap uke to keep in the office and was browsing through a GC killing some time one afternoon and found a Lanikaa LU-22CGC, which is an exclusive LU-21C made for GC. It was also on sale for half price. I played with it off and on for two days and could find nothing wrong, the action was good, intonation up the neck was good and the tone was good....I compared it against several others as well as comparable Lunas and Cordobas, all of which had high action and bad intonation. I finally broke down and bought it, but the sales clerk wanted to give me one in a box, because there was "no reason to buy a display model, you want a new one." No I didn't!! :)

So it's possibly to get a good uke at GC but it does take some looking around. However, for higher end stuff, you're making the wise choice to stick with HMS, Mim and the like.

So I'm already looking at new Ukes, and this one is at the top of my list. Right in my price range, high quality fishman electronics (w/on board tuner), and really beautiful looking for the price. Anyone have experience with this model?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk...k-tenor-ukulele-with-fishman-kula-electronics

Yes, I have first hand experience with this very uke. Don't buy it, it's a complete piece of crap. They claim it's Koa, but like others have said it's something laminate, but sure as heck doesn't look like koa. It sounds like a tin can, the fit and finish is really bad. The fishman pickup won't and doesn't make this sound any better through an amp. I can explain more and send you pictures if you want.

When your buying Lanikai, your buying a marketing and distribution company out of Richmond Virginia that has nothing what so ever to do with Hawaii as they cleverly try and make you think.

Thanks again everyone. Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to ditch my fender in favor of the cheaper but well reviewed gretsch model mentioned earlier and set up by HMS, or keep the fender and find someone who can set it up? Again, I do like the Pa'ina a lot, but the bad reviews on quality control have me worried about issues like the bridge coming off in a few years.

Thanks yet again! I didn't even think of having a pickup installed. Pono seems like an amazing brand and that model sounds great for the price. Do you think it is significantly better than this kala for the same price but already including the pickup? (http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-smht-ce-all-solid-tenor-cutaway-electric.html). I really like the looks of the acacia pono, but I do prefer the sound of the mahogany.

Top Bottom