Least Obtrusive Low G Strings for Solid Soprano

SweetWaterBlue

Reaction score
I have a couple of solid body sopranos both currently strung high g. Years ago I had a nice little Ohana 35G (sold yeas ago) that I enjoyed stringing with a low G. I would like to again string one of my sopranos with a low G, but past experience has taught me that a low G on a soprano is often boomy and not really a good match to the body size, unless you happen to be Ohta Son. That said, I like to take one of my sopranos when I am out and about running errands to work out melody lines to play later on one of my low G tenors.

Since I have been mostly out of touch with advances in ukulele strings in the last few years, I would like to know what low G strings people find least obtrusive (least boomy, floppy, over-powering, etc) on the soprano.

This is a perpetual problem/challenge for me.

The variables are the uke's resonance(s), string tension, string composition, string tonal character, string-to-string balance, and strum/pluck aggressiveness (touch) on each individual string.

There may be more... but the last is what I really need to learn how to control. That would go a long way.

Last edited:
I don't like fluorocarbon low-G strings on a soprano because they sound kind of dull on a small instrument. Wound strings are much better, but you can't pound on them or they get boomy. I like the La Bella flat-wound strings (also sold under the Romero and Fremont brand names).

I don't like fluorocarbon low-G strings on a soprano because they sound kind of dull on a small instrument. Wound strings are much better, but you can't pound on them or they get boomy. I like the La Bella flat-wound strings (also sold under the Romero and Fremont brand names).
My "go to" low G is D'addario NYL028w (nylon 'silverwound' .028") - good tension, clear tone, and the least howl-ey. But it is wound, and many won't like it for that. My second choice on soprano is the Aquila Low G "Red" but it only works on some of them.

I really wish D'addario (or somebody) would make an .027w because tension would be a bit less and perhaps result a lower volume without losing its tone.

<edit> Strings by mail has NYL026W (and even a NYL024W). I ordered some of both and I'll report back here about the 026W tension/sound as a low G. It will be tried on a concert, as that is where an 028W's tension is the highest.

Alternatives are fluorocarbons and various solid nylon/composites.

<edit> I know the OP was about low G on soprano scale. However, I use the same NYL028W as low G on my sopranos, concerts, and tenors. It feels and "sounds" the same on all 3 scales. No, I can't explain why. It just does.

Last edited:
I also like the wound Pepe Romero Low-G string on my two sopranos. It plays nicely with fluorocarbons on top.

You might try some fluorocarbon guitar strings around .033” until you find the right diameter. The thinner diameter makes it less dominant/boomy. Also less thuddy with better intonation. Strings by mail sells single Savarez guitar and specialty strings.

Last edited:
It depends on how much the soprano in question allows for lower frequencies. If it does so well, a fluorocarbon low G like Worth can sound very well matched to the other strings. If it doesn't reproduce the low G frequency very well, something like an Aquila Red low G can work well. I have personally never liked wound strings on soprano, the sustain sounds wrong imho.

I had a wound Thomastik-Infeld CF-30 Flat Wound guitar string on one of my concerts for a while, but I found it too "boomy". It overwhelmed the other strings when strummed.

I moved it to a Martin Style 3 soprano and its much better! I think the soprano being a smaller instrument doesn't resonate with the low G quite as much as the concert.

I had a wound Thomastik-Infeld CF-30 Flat Wound guitar string on one of my concerts for a while, but I found it too "boomy". It overwhelmed the other strings when strummed.

I moved it to a Martin Style 3 soprano and its much better! I think the soprano being a smaller instrument doesn't resonate with the low G quite as much as the concert.
I also used the CF-30 in the past but found them dull, so I tried the aquila 9U on my concerts and it is much better. Not boomy and thuddy up the neck like the CF-30 and Freemont Soloist. I think the soprano is a 6U

I only play tenors but of the unwound (Oasis and Fremont) and smooth wound (Fremont Soloist/Romero/Uke Logic, D'Addario) I have tried, the 33mm Oasis smooth wound Low G has been the least boomy by a wide margin. In fact, I have found I really have to "lean on it" to get it to resonate deeply, which is kind of nice for those searching for a less intrusive Low G. I'm quite fond of it; I'm still experimenting but I suspect this will be my go-to Low G string. Nice gold color, like the RC. Aloha City Ukes is the only place I've seen sell it as a single string, but there may be other retailers.

Last edited:
0.330" seems rather thick and not be boomy. The Aquila is a 0.280".

And yet, that's the thing with strings ... many of the expected qualities turn out quite differently once you lace it up on your particular uke. Just gotta try a bunch and see/hear what works.

I've got a "pineapple" soprano tuned low-G with a set of Aquila "reds" on it … seems a satisfactory combination.
I originally had the strings on a conventionally-shaped soprano, but was disappointed with the low-frequency response.
I'll point out here that both instruments are "budget" models, a more sophisticated instrument may well have better low-frequency response.
Inevitably … YMMV ;)

I also like the wound Pepe Romero Low-G string on my two sopranos. It plays nicely with fluorocarbons on top.
Put these on my aNueNue amm3 and they are a tonal treat. amazing.

I think that. 33 or .32 wound such as d'addario guitar string maybe be best bet. The thinner strings are all for tenor size but with low tension on smaller uke will have the boompy effect. So need to go thicker for more tension or tune up to D if you use the thin wound.

Top Bottom