Lefties and Righties alike!

There's also the Dick Dale solution, just flip the thing over and learn to play with the string order reversed. Who knows, you might end up with a whole new sound like he did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8CnurLcxRY&feature=related

On the other hand, I think a leftie instrument strung the normal way might have an overlooked advantage:
if a right hander is showing you a lick, you can stand in front of them and mirror their moves rather than having to mentally flop the fingerings.

My two cents worth: I'm a left handed man that plays the uke (not very well yet, but plays) right handed. Why? I took guitar lessons for a short period of time about forty years ago and my guitar teacher thought that it would be easier to learn right handed instead of left. His reasoning was that: 1. Most guitars are already strung for right handed people 2. He was right handed as were most other people so it would be easier to learn if I did it the more conventional way and (here is the one that made the most sense to me) 3. Everyone has a dominant hand. My being left handed just meant that I would be more adept at the fingering part and would have to work on the picking part more. That made sense to me. When I was shopping for my ukulele last fall I picked it up for the first time in a right handed fashion and had my wife (who is also left handed) give me a strange look as she tried to figure out how to hold the one that she was looking at. The habit had obviously stuck for four decades with no enforcement. As a southpaw in a right handed world we're all used to adapting everyday.

Part of my problem too, was that I had been playing air guitar lefthanded all my life. Hard to switch now...:cool::cool:

Except now I play air ukulele instead.

What an awesome story! That must feel great to help and inspire young musicians--good for you!!!!

Not just "young" musicians. I'm recently retired, and have wanted to learn to play the uke for quite a while. I'm 61 yrs. old, and left-handed in everything I do. At my age, I will not change now. I just want to learn enough to be able to strum along with some songs, and play a few "easy" ones myself. I'm not looking to entertain anyone but myself! Thanks for your story. I feel better about being a left-handed beginner.

What will you do if he decides he wants to play the piano ?

Top Bottom