Lifting bridge on new uke?

Snock

Reaction score
Hi all, Longtime lurker, first time poster. I was gifted a new Ortega Lizard Tenor and it has a nice sound but the bridge isn't glued all the way down and there seems to be slight lift. I noticed it is screwed down as well so I emailed Ortega and asked if it was problematic/defective and they responded that a slight lift is fine since it is screwed down as well. Their exact words were "it should be fine." I don't know how I feel about that response so I wanted to get some additional thoughts on this. I have attached some pictures. My main question is will the screws keep the bridge stable or will it create more problems for me down the line? Thanks everybody!

Attachments

• IMG_20231012_211649183.jpg
    IMG_20231012_211649183.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20231012_211714564~2.jpg
    IMG_20231012_211714564~2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20231012_211813213.jpg
    IMG_20231012_211813213.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20231012_211847664.jpg
    IMG_20231012_211847664.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20231012_212007113.jpg
    IMG_20231012_212007113.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 22
Welcome to UU, Snock!
Normally speaking, it should indeed be fine. I have a concert in the house with corners of the similarly screwed down bridge lifting. The uke has been fine for over 5 years. If you're worried, you can trace the corner and mark the paper. That will allow you to notice if it appears to lift off further.

If someone purchased it as a gift and then gave it to you, they would have the invoice and they could return it for repair, exchange or refund. However, it would be a hassle. You are technically not the first owner of the instrument, and I don't know of any warranty can be transferred in your country.

It's a free pick holder. I don't use picks though. It looks like it curled a bit due to drying out while sitting for a while. Hard to tell from the pics though. At a minimum, I'd ask ortega to send me a replacement bridge.

Thank you both for your comments. I really appreciate it. As long as the bridge doesn't just pop off and ruin the uke, I'll be happy. The intonation and sound are fine but I will certainly be keeping an eye on the lifting/curling and will send them an email and ask about getting a replacement bridge. It does seem to be curling up on the sides from the bottom, so you may be right that it sat around for a while before being purchased! Thanks again!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20231012_211949247.jpg
    IMG_20231012_211949247.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 17
Snock, looking at the photos, I would tend to agree that it's not an urgent concern right now, but that you could plan to just "keep an eye on it."
I once had a soprano uke on which the bridge had a very similar-looking gap, and I eventually concluded that it was more the result of how the bridge had been cut, than an actual post-production lifting or separation problem related to climate factors or whatever. And it stayed that way throughout my years of ownership and never created a problem (other than bugging me a little!). Hopefully yours will do likewise!

If that bridge is not glued to the soundboard, the pressure concentrated around the screws will eventually result in failure/damage. It should be glued at all contact surfaces.

Yep, what spongeuke says. Of course it might be fine and you might never have trouble with this instrument, that’s what the manufacturer is hoping for, but the side and the end views show separation issues that shouldn’t be there and - though it could be many years away - it seems likely that it will eventually give way. Of course such a defect or imperfection could have been there since new and not all defects result in failure so it might be tolerable; it’s a big bridge, we don’t actually know what it will tolerable and, understandably, want the attachment to be as good as it can be. The manufacturer is doubtless hoping that any failure will be long outside their guarantee period and will argue that the instrument works so repair and / or replacement isn’t warranted - obviously there is a defect and l wouldn’t agree with them.

If this was my instrument then I’d be inclined to correct / repair it now, but my labour is free to me and a luthier might charge more than seems economical to protect against an event that might never happen to you. Of course a repair could result in some minor cosmetic damage, depends how it goes, but I’d rather take that risk and have a correctly attached bridge. YMMV.

Last edited:
I would not be at all happy with the bridge lifting. You need to get in touch with the dealer and have it remedied before the warranty expires…

Top Bottom