Looking for a bag/case/backpack combo. Where should I look?

BiosphereDecay

Island Punk Rock
UU VIP
Reaction score
I either want a backpack capable of safely storing a soprano while I ride my bike, or a bag or case for the ukulele that is big enough to work as a backpack. I've been able to find one that fits the bill well enough, but seems pretty ugly.

This one fits the bill in terms of functionality the best:

This just lets me carry any case as a backpack? I can't tell if it has any storage of its own or if it's just the straps.
https://a.co/d/4YrPg57

And this one doesn't have any extra storage space, but is cute kawaii and adorable uwu:

I've done a little googling outside of amazon, but haven't really come up with much. Is there anywhere else I should look? And if any of you know of any specific products that you think fits the bill, please let me know. Thank you.

I either want a backpack capable of safely storing a soprano while I ride my bike, or a bag or case for the ukulele that is big enough to work as a backpack. I've been able to find one that fits the bill well enough, but seems pretty ugly.

This one fits the bill in terms of functionality the best:

This just lets me carry any case as a backpack? I can't tell if it has any storage of its own or if it's just the straps.
https://a.co/d/4YrPg57

And this one doesn't have any extra storage space, but is cute kawaii and adorable uwu:

I've done a little googling outside of amazon, but haven't really come up with much. Is there anywhere else I should look? And if any of you know of any specific products that you think fits the bill, please let me know. Thank you.

If your ukulele is ok with just a "sleeve", like the Enya Nova, you could put it in a large ordinary backpack.

Otherwise you would need a back with one ukulele shaped compartment to keep the uke safe, and another compartment for your other stuff.

You could go with a double ukulele gigbag, and just use the other ukulele shaped compartment for your other stuff? It will not hold much, but I never heard of a bag with lots of room like that.

Dont know is this is available in the states, and never tried it IRL, just an example:

Edit: I realize now that this is for tenors. There must be one out there for sopranos.

Edit Edit:
I tried googling, but could not find a double soprano gigbag.
A crazy though: A soprano ukulele is about 550 mm long overall. This camera backpack says it has room for a 550 mm tripod... So why not a soprano ukulele?
I think that the room dividers are stuck with velcro and can be rearranged to fit your gear. Dont take my word for it, but on some they can. So you could make a soprano ukulele shaped compartment, and other compartments for your other stuff. It is probably not as protective as a properly padded gigbag, so I wouldnt use it for an expensive uke. But it is a fun though 😆

Edit Edit Edit:
I realize now that the 55cm tripod goes on the outside. The inside being only 43 cm 🙄. Diagonally perhaps?
So by now I have found a double gig bag which is too big and a camera bag which is too small.
Well, perhaps somewhere someone made one of the categories in the right size.

Last edited:
If you are looking for something for your new soprano, Flight says that only the strings need protection so the bag it comes with will be adequate to get into town safely. Otherwise, I really like my Cordoba gig bag - decent quality, lots of padding, large storage pocket.

Edit: The Cordoba may not be ideal for your use case because it uses a single sling strap instead of dual straps.

Last edited:
If you are looking for something for your new soprano, Flight says that only the strings need protection so the bag it comes with will be adequate to get into town safely. Otherwise, I really like my Cordoba gig bag - decent quality, lots of padding, large storage pocket.

Edit: The Cordoba may not be ideal for your use case because it uses a single sling strap instead of dual straps.
That is what I'm planning to use it for. I was hoping to not have to carry both a gig bag and a backpack at the same time. If I could put my everyday supplies and groceries etc in the gig bag, that would be a lot easier to manage. I commute along distance on a e-bike. I haven't crashed in like 20 years, but if I do, the instrument is probably going to die. I can go up to 40 mph.

If your ukulele is ok with just a "sleeve", like the Enya Nova, you could put it in a large ordinary backpack.

Otherwise you would need a back with one ukulele shaped compartment to keep the uke safe, and another compartment for your other stuff.

You could go with a double ukulele gigbag, and just use the other ukulele shaped compartment for your other stuff? It will not hold much, but I never heard of a bag with lots of room like that.

Dont know is this is available in the states, and never tried it IRL, just an example:

Edit: I realize now that this is for tenors. There must be one out there for sopranos.

Edit Edit:
I tried googling, but could not find a double soprano gigbag.
A crazy though: A soprano ukulele is about 550 mm long overall. This camera backpack says it has room for a 550 mm tripod... So why not a soprano ukulele?
I think that the room dividers are stuck with velcro and can be rearranged to fit your gear. Dont take my word for it, but on some they can. So you could make a soprano ukulele shaped compartment, and other compartments for your other stuff. It is probably not as protective as a properly padded gigbag, so I wouldnt use it for an expensive uke. But it is a fun though 😆

Edit Edit Edit:
I realize now that the 55cm tripod goes on the outside. The inside being only 43 cm 🙄. Diagonally perhaps?
So by now I have found a double gig bag which is too big and a camera bag which is too small.
Well, perhaps somewhere someone made one of the categories in the right size.
A double gig bag seems like an excellent option. If I only want to take one ukulele with me, which will probably be most of the time, I have tons of extra space to put groceries or whatever. Same thing with it being tenor sized. Maybe I could just get a block of foam from Michaels and cut it to fill the empty space when there's only a soprano in there.

I think the three extra compartments are probably enough for my everyday supplies. This does seem like a good option. Does it come in a color other than navy blue though? It's not terrible, but not my first choice.

A double gig bag seems like an excellent option. If I only want to take one ukulele with me, which will probably be most of the time, I have tons of extra space to put groceries or whatever. Same thing with it being tenor sized. Maybe I could just get a block of foam from Michaels and cut it to fill the empty space when there's only a soprano in there.

I think the three extra compartments are probably enough for my everyday supplies. This does seem like a good option. Does it come in a color other than navy blue though? It's not terrible, but not my first choice.

The specific link is to an European webshop.
I suggest you search for ukulele double gigbags on the web sites/shops which deliver to your area and find which one you like the most. It was just meant as an example, I thinks there are many brands.

I've been frustrated by the lack of options in this same area. I even considered just using some urethane to glue backpack straps onto a case. I might still do that, but my next step is to take a case to REI and just see if I can attach it to any backpacks there. I figure one of them has to have the clips or straps or whatever in the right place.

What about attaching it directly onto the bike like a surfboard? I wonder if you could shove an ukulele in there.

Attachments

• IMG_2504.jpeg
    IMG_2504.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 7
I've been frustrated by the lack of options in this same area. I even considered just using some urethane to glue backpack straps onto a case. I might still do that, but my next step is to take a case to REI and just see if I can attach it to any backpacks there. I figure one of them has to have the clips or straps or whatever in the right place.

I dont see this giving resulting in any backpack space. Are you looking for a hard case with backpack straps? A bit different from OP's needs.

I just thought of another practical way to combine backpack and gigbag. One could get a big outdoor backpack, one of those with loops to attach stuff on the outside. Then one could detach the straps from a gigbag and clip in onto a bagpack with snap hooks in stead.
Well, only works with gigbags with detachable straps.

I dont see this giving resulting in any backpack space. Are you looking for a hard case with backpack straps? A bit different from OP's needs.

I just thought of another practical way to combine backpack and gigbag. One could get a big outdoor backpack, one of those with loops to attach stuff on the outside. Then one could detach the straps from a gigbag and clip in onto a bagpack with snap hooks in stead.
Well, only works with gigbags with detachable straps.
Yeah, it wouldn't give me any backpack space, which would suck, I agree. It was one of several flaws in the plan, which is why I did not do it.

And yes, the backpack strap idea is what I was trying to describe in my post, I guess I didn't describe it very well. However, I think it is going to be very hit-or-miss and dependent on the straps and the case.

Yeah, it wouldn't give me any backpack space, which would suck, I agree. It was one of several flaws in the plan, which is why I did not do it.

And yes, the backpack strap idea is what I was trying to describe in my post, I guess I didn't describe it very well. However, I think it is going to be very hit-or-miss and dependent on the straps and the case.

Both of the ABS cases I looked at in this thread has three rings for attaching straps: both sides and the top of the back. They only come with one strap, so it is probably so you can switch sides. But if you have two straps that clip on to metal rings - they should work as a backpack.

Edit:
Out of couriosity I just tried attaching both ABS cases straps to the same case and put it on my back. On both it felt quite comfortable. It looks a bit off with two different straps of course.
Personally I prefer just one strap across my back, because that way I can wear a backpack underneath with my other stuff - and just sling the uke on top.

Last edited:
I have been looking for something like this for a while, too.

Some I've found (but haven't yet tried):
  • The fusion case has a fair amount of room and you can also fuse-on another bag (fully attached) for extra storage. It's fairly heavy, though.
  • ACME case has a fair amount of space in the pockets (if you're travelling very light)
  • Any roll-top backpack (Osprey Transporter or Arcane or Daylite Tote Pack, for example) should be tall enough to fit your soprano in its gig bag. My Synapse 25 is, unfortunately, a few cm too short to do this!

I picked up this sweet little bag on my visit to Quiet Village in Kamakura. The two backpack straps go around the neck portion of your case... be it a hard case or another padded gig bag. I thought it was a pretty cool solution to carry around hard case, hands free, and be able to fit a few more things in the bag as well... My wife ended up using this as her carry on for the soprano I got over there. I might try figure out a way to add some internal pockets for some improved organization, but I love it so far.

1717078099745.png

Top Bottom