Looking for a uke with more projection...suggestions?

Hello,
The loudest uke I ever played was a super-soprano from Millar. They now have a wide range of instruments, all are praised by everyone for their stunning volume and their overall price/quality ratio. Dozens of videos on YT to get a fair idea of this excellent brand.
Hope this helps, regards

I have a koolau, kanilea and koaloha and Ono tenors. They are all koa. The loudest of the k brands is the koaloha, but it is the older model which they don’t make any more. It has 15 frets to the body also a slightly large body. The newer koaloha have 14 frets to the body and a smaller body. But the loudest by far is my Ono koa! The cantillevered fret board and bracing really makes for the loudest uke I ever play. I busk outside where amps are not allowed so I need a loud uke.

I have a koolau, kanilea and koaloha and Ono tenors. They are all koa. The loudest of the k brands is the koaloha, but it is the older model which they don’t make any more. It has 15 frets to the body also a slightly large body. The newer koaloha have 14 frets to the body and a smaller body. But the loudest by far is my Ono koa! The cantillevered fret board and bracing really makes for the loudest uke I ever play. I busk outside where amps are not allowed so I need a loud uke.
Out of curiosity*, does your Ono have a side port?

*Just my rumination... baloney alert!
I'm curious as to whether a side port affects directionality that would be straight forward (no port) rather than over a wide pattern (with sound port). In my mind, straight forward would allow it to penetrate and be heard at a longer distance.

Last edited:
Hello,
The loudest uke I ever played was a super-soprano from Millar. They now have a wide range of instruments, all are praised by everyone for their stunning volume and their overall price/quality ratio. Dozens of videos on YT to get a fair idea of this excellent brand.
Hope this helps, regards
Probably like this one here.

In the reviews and clips, they rave about volume.

I'm curious as to whether a side port affects directionality that would be straight forward (no port) rather than over a wide pattern (with sound port). In my mind, straight forward would allow it to penetrate and be heard at a longer distance.
Pardon the slight derailment but I find myself envying you folk who are at such a level of musicianship to desire a uke with greater forward projection. Because, in the aftermath of three decades of mild conflict over the ear splitting volume (even when bridge-muted) of my 5-string banjo, I literally practice uke in a large closet.

Honest question, intending no offense: If you otherwise like your uke in terms of tone & playability, why not just buy a small amp and have a pickup installed, rather than searching for a louder uke? :)

Pardon the slight derailment ...

Honest question, intending no offense: If you otherwise like your uke in terms of tone & playability, why not just buy a small amp and have a pickup installed, rather than searching for a louder uke? :)
Wrong forum to recommend any alternative to buying another ukulele.

Resonators are loud if you like that sound. Ohana Vitas are supposedly projectors though I haven't played one or heard one in person.
I’d say my Ohana Vita was definitely much bolder and project-ier than any of my others. (I am drawn to softer warmer sounds, so while the Ohana was visually lovely, the sound wasn’t quite my thing.)

KohanMike is spot on... I challenge anyone to find a uke that sends out the sound like a Kala SSTU-t

The Kala Travel thin body ukes have amazing projection/loudness.

The tone might not be what you are looking for, but if it's projection you are after, this will do it!

I was playing in the drop off of a hotel in Glendale last weekend. I had some time to kill so I was just strumming along. My kid came down and said they could hear my clearly in the lobby... behind closed doors, and the sound filled this enormous space gloriously. I'm fairly sure people could hear it in the underground parking lot as well judging by the reactions of the people emerging from there.

I call it "The Fogcutter". I play it in a room with 20 other students playing and it rises above the collected din no problem. Not the most warm of sounds, but if you want to be heard this is the one!

I also have a EMTU-t laminate top and it is not nearly as strong. Something about that potato chip thin spruce top makes this SSTU model special. And - in you price range, you could buy two of them! 🤪

The aNueNue Lion projects and is quite loud as well. Pretty too. A bit more expensive but absolutely gorgeous. I personally own three aNueNue ukes and the build of these ukes are impeccable.

KohanMike is spot on... I challenge anyone to find a uke that sends out the sound like a Kala SSTU-t

The tone might not be what you are looking for, but if it's projection you are after, this will do it!

I was playing in the drop off of a hotel in Glendale last weekend. I had some time to kill so I was just strumming along. My kid came down and said they could hear my clearly in the lobby... behind closed doors, and the sound filled this enormous space gloriously. I'm fairly sure people could hear it in the underground parking lot as well judging by the reactions of the people emerging from there.

I call it "The Fogcutter". I play it in a room with 20 other students playing and it rises above the collected din no problem. Not the most warm of sounds, but if you want to be heard this is the one!

I also have a EMTU-t laminate top and it is not nearly as strong. Something about that potato chip thin spruce top makes this SSTU model special. And - in you price range, you could buy two of them! 🤪
Agree. My wife and a couple other folks in our uke group have the concert version of the Kala thin body, spruce top uke, and they're easy to pick out above the din.

My Koaloha concert has the qualities that you've indicated.

Hello,
No one (including me; shame on me !) has yet suggested to go another route and experiment with other strings. Aquila's "sugar", for instance, are really much louder than any other strings and, believe me, it's not mere marketing. Mimmo has measured them scientifically and found they sound about 30% louder than any of his other string sets.
Who knows ? Maybe changing the strings on you uke of choice rather than buying a new instrument will make you save a loooot of money...
Regards

Wiggy, yes mine does have a side port. But I have played other Onos with just the middle sound hole and they
are definitely louder.

Hello,
No one (including me; shame on me !) has yet suggested to go another route and experiment with other strings. Aquila's "sugar", for instance, are really much louder than any other strings and, believe me, it's not mere marketing. Mimmo has measured them scientifically and found they sound about 30% louder than any of his other string sets.
Who knows ? Maybe changing the strings on you uke of choice rather than buying a new instrument will make you save a loooot of money...
Regards
30% louder? Yikes! :-o

Top Bottom