Looking to donate A few dozen new Makala shark and dolphin Ukuleles

Jag-Stang

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Looking to donate to an underprivileged children’s music project
I purchased the remaining Ukulele inventory of a closed music store that was a Kala dealer.
included in what remained were a few dozen Kala (Makala shark and dolphin) Ukuleles
I would like to put these instruments in the hands of unfortunate children who could not afford them.
I figure someone here might know of a program where these would go to good use.
I don’t need the money and I already support youth music projects I want something
that dovetails into teaching kids Ukulele to get them interested in Music
I thought maybe someone here might know of such a project.
i also thought the best way to get the Corporate world interested in helping is to
place their items into a project, show proof of concept, then ask them to contribute.
‘I have a friend who is a world renown conga player who started a drumming program in Philadelphia
and after a few years he received donations from Corporate manufacturers to support his
non-profit teaching program. Covid suspended his working with kids but the program is back on track.
I have seen this to be a win win in the past. Ukuleles are a good place to start kids interest in music.
If projects like this do not exist they should.
Any ideas would be appreciated as ideas like this need a starting point, others who
believe in music as a path to success feel free to join in.

Looking to donate to an underprivileged children’s music project
I purchased the remaining Ukulele inventory of a closed music store that was a Kala dealer.
included in what remained were a few dozen Kala (Makala shark and dolphin) Ukuleles
I would like to put these instruments in the hands of unfortunate children who could not afford them.
I figure someone here might know of a program where these would go to good use.
I don’t need the money and I already support youth music projects I want something
that dovetails into teaching kids Ukulele to get them interested in Music
I thought maybe someone here might know of such a project.
i also thought the best way to get the Corporate world interested in helping is to
place their items into a project, show proof of concept, then ask them to contribute.
‘I have a friend who is a world renown conga player who started a drumming program in Philadelphia
and after a few years he received donations from Corporate manufacturers to support his
non-profit teaching program. Covid suspended his working with kids but the program is back on track.
I have seen this to be a win win in the past. Ukuleles are a good place to start kids interest in music.
If projects like this do not exist they should.
Any ideas would be appreciated as ideas like this need a starting point, others who
believe in music as a path to success feel free to join in.
Doing my king’s work, thank you for being you.

How about "The Ukulele Kid's Club"? They are a 501c3 charity providing instruments and music therapy to children nationwide (theukc.org).

I'm on the board for CorasCrafts.org

We provide support for kids with cancer. Please check out our site and if our cause resonates with you, I'd be happy to make an intro to our founder.

Kala recently donated some Waterman ukes to our org for our emotional support packages we send to kids. Mahalo!

I'm a first grade teacher in Watts, California (the inner city, crime ridden area) with very underprivileged children in my classroom. I'd be thrilled to get a class set of ukuleles for my children to experience the joy of holding an instrument and playing basic chords. Please consider donating some to my classroom. PM me if you want specific details about the school I work at, or any other particulars you need or want to know. Thanks so very much for the kindness you are showing to whomever is lucky enough to benefit from your generosity.

Thank you for wanting to support music education. That is a very generous thing for you to do.

I don't know where exactly you are located, but I might suggest you take a look at Music is the Foundation. They are a 501(c) based in Michigan and support a bunch of different programs in schools and libraries. (They also make the Mighty Uke Day festival happen...) You can find more info at that link.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Music is the Foundation, but I am a Michigander and I do know Ben Hassenger who is the driving force behind it.

How about "The Ukulele Kid's Club"? They are a 501c3 charity providing instruments and music therapy to children nationwide (theukc.org).
I am waiting on a response from them. I am near Philadelphia and my wife is a nurse We would like to see Children's Hospital (CHOP)
added to their list If they can make that happen I will try to get Kala to donate another 20!!

You’d be hard pressed to find a better project than Survivor Girl. http://www.sgub.org/

Personally I love what you are doing however I am most interested in a group that is not so focused. I prefer Hospitals and places where all people of all denominations have equal opportunity. I would feel regretful boys did not get the same treatment as girls.

Thank you for your generousity- and what you are doing to benefit others!

It's great that you are able to do this.

I've donated ukes to the local Boys and Girls Club. Several of us helped to teach the kids how to play uke and some decided to go on to learn guitar because they liked the uke program so much.

Many libraries try to offer ukulele programs, but are usually short of instruments.

My Ukulele Club used to provide ukes to local school music programs.

I'm sure social services in your area may be able to provide some information about programs for underprivileged kids.

I was going to recommend the Boys & Girls Clubs of Schenectady, NY. They have a building right next to the school I work in, and provide multiple programs for elementary school kids. They have concerts to raise money - the Executive Director, Shane Bargy is a musician himself, and he and people he performs with are all involved with non-profit organizations around the area. Shane and his fellow musicians (I have performed with them, on occasion) do Good Work, and ave been trying to get local kids involved in music - we are a pretty much low-income area.

-Kurt​

+1 to @ksiegel's (Kurt's) suggestion for Boys & Girls Clubs, I'd recommend a few phone calls to local school systems. They can direct you to the music departments/instructors. They -as musicians- are very likely to know about area programs, or even programs of their own which might benefit from such a generous offer.

Top Bottom