Looking to upgrade with a tight budget

Angier

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to this forum so I apologize if this conversation has already happened. I currently have a Lanakai LU-21 and I'm looking to upgrade. I have been leaning more toward the concert ukuleles. I don't play the typical ukulele sound, and I think the fullness of the concert would suit my music well. The issue is, I'm on a pretty tight budget. Most of the stuff I've read about budget ukes are how good they are for beginners. Can anyone recommend something that will be an upgrade for me, but won't hurt my wallet?

Thanks guys!

Hard to do without knowing your "budget" I personally love the concert size.

Check out Mainlands.

It's kinda hard, not impossible, but hard to upgrade but not spend more money. Have fun shopping.

I would be looking for a used solid wood ukulele from Pono or Mainland, or something similar. Some of the top of the line Kala, Lanikai, OS can be very nice too. check the marketplace here on UU, they come up regularly.

Buying used is the best way to get a good deal. That can come with risks, of course, unless you're doing a local transaction and can see the instrument in person before you hand over the money. You don't have the benefit of a retailer with a decent return policy.

For traditional online sellers, you can find good deals here: http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukuele-market/vintage-used-blem-specials.html and http://elderly.com/vintage/cats/180U.htm (you can also put "shopworn" in the search at Elderly and find floor models that may have some playing wear or dings).

Need to know your budget.

Many people get ukuleles and never play them, craigslist is a good place to find bargains. You have the chance to inspect before you purchase which is a big plus.

Where are you so we can possibly steer you to someone in your area. Knowing what size you want and your price range also helps us to help you. Welcome aboard!

Angier, you can have any ukulele you want, even if your budget is only one red paperclip.

Top Bottom