Low G on a Soprano?

I have one soprano with low G, but it's quite a wide bodied one, so it amplifies those lower frequencies quite well without electrickery. My other sopranos are all reentrant.

I used a guitar string for the low G, mainly because I'm quite cheap. Even worse, it's a wound string and I like it (a G if I'm right, from a nylon set - never simply try on a steel guitar string because they exert way more tension on the instrument).

I like Ohta-San's playing, but the recording has a distracting amount of reverb on it - it's like he's playing in an empty silo.

I have one soprano with low G, but it's quite a wide bodied one, so it amplifies those lower frequencies quite well without electrickery. My other sopranos are all reentrant.

I used a guitar string for the low G, mainly because I'm quite cheap. Even worse, it's a wound string and I like it (a G if I'm right, from a nylon set - never simply try on a steel guitar string because they exert way more tension on the instrument).

I like Ohta-San's playing, but the recording has a distracting amount of reverb on it - it's like he's playing in an empty silo.

I think wound low-G strings work best on sopranos because you usually need more volume on a small instrument. Realistically, most wound low-G strings are probably repurposed guitar strings. As is often mentioned in this forum, the popular Fremont Soloist ukulele low-G string is really just a repackaged La Bella guitar D string. La Bella strings are made in New York State and Fremont is a Japanese company, so by the time they get shipped to Japan and back, the Fremont strings cost twice as much as the La Bella strings from my local music store ($4 vs $2).

Although I continue to be a "re-entrant" guy, this clip is all I needed to see, to realize that a low G can work quite nicely on a soprano!

Gorgeous playing, but the length of the thumbnail blows me away. I can't imagine walkin' around with that 24x7.

I think wound low-G strings work best on sopranos because you usually need more volume on a small instrument. Realistically, most wound low-G strings are probably repurposed guitar strings. As is often mentioned in this forum, the popular Fremont Soloist ukulele low-G string is really just a repackaged La Bella guitar D string. La Bella strings are made in New York State and Fremont is a Japanese company, so by the time they get shipped to Japan and back, the Fremont strings cost twice as much as the La Bella strings from my local music store ($4 vs $2).
Ironically not the case for me 🤔 La Bella strings are not as cost effective, which is weird. And hah! $4 for a string?! I wish! So yeah. Generally overpriced here anyway, but the Soloist is easier and slightly less expensive to get locally for me (and when I say locally, I still have to drive 40 minutes to find a place that carries them, but they're near my music teacher so I consider it local enough!).

Top Bottom