Strings Low g string snapped over Christmas holiday

Thanks! This might explain it. The slot on the nut has a groove meant of a high g string. On the new worth strings I put on it, the string is sitting on top of the nut, but with the Aquila red, it fit in the groove. But perhaps too tightly. Might have to figure a way to widen the groove for low g.

If you use the forum’s search function then you should find advice about cutting (or rather re-cutting) slots in nuts.

What do you do to prepare the tuner holes for the strings?
If the hole feels sharp at the edges, I use a small round needle file to soften those edges. Ideally, the manufacturer will have already done this but some cheaper ukuleles might not have this level of finish. And for the nut slots I just use a pencil to give it a coating of graphite.

Well count me into the club - I took my AMM3 from the case after couple days and the low-g was snapped at the nut (installed it 14 days ago, played it for maybe 5 hours).
Luckily I ordered some fremont soloist low-g single strings with my last order so I have a replacement. :)

Now, does my uke have a particularly sharp nut slot? I doubt it given where they are made and that it was adjusted by Matt at WOU even before shipping.
Did I install it 'properly' like in the new video? No. I didn't even know I had a Red series low-g.
I bought the AGxAQ low-g set and only later after seeing the pictures of the unwound low-g from the Red set I realized the low-g is probably the same string and thus requires same care.

Well count me into the club - I took my AMM3 from the case after couple days and the low-g was snapped at the nut (installed it 14 days ago, played it for maybe 5 hours).
Luckily I ordered some fremont soloist low-g single strings with my last order so I have a replacement. :)

Now, does my uke have a particularly sharp nut slot? I doubt it given where they are made and that it was adjusted by Matt at WOU even before shipping.
Did I install it 'properly' like in the new video? No. I didn't even know I had a Red series low-g.
I bought the AGxAQ low-g set and only later after seeing the pictures of the unwound low-g from the Red set I realized the low-g is probably the same string and thus requires same care.
If your nut was set up for a wound or fluorocarbon low G string (or any high G), the slot may not be wide enough for a Red low G string. Their diameter is ~.042” vs. ~.030" for wound and ~.035” for fluorocarbon. If the slot is not widened to fit the string, it will bind and break. It's like trying to pull a piece of cooked spaghetti through a comb, where the gap between the teeth is narrower than the spaghetti.

Last edited:
Darn I should have read the thread. The snapping happened to me within 2 weeks of installing. I ordered 3 more Reds last week to see how they go.

BTW, thanks for those who have recommended Reds. Fremont is my usual go to low-G string but it did not give a right tone on my Kiwaya. This th

> why I made the decision to put a leaflet inside each envelope hoping that people will read the instructions at least once

There is no leaflet inside each envelope the Reds recently came to me. I guess they are from old batches. But thanks for the insight. I will try to learn how to install them properly next time.

BTW, is it normal that a string inside an envelope is not packed? Most of the strings from other brands are packed so I can see that they might be more durable even if strings are from old batches, but for Reds it's not packed and we don't know how long they were exposed to air. Does anyone know how to read the date of manufacture from the numbers written on the envelope?

Attachments

• PXL_20240202_234234901.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240202_234234901.MP.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 1
There is no leaflet inside each envelope the Reds recently came to me.
Me neither. I guess my local store hasn't got updated stock yet.

BTW, is it normal that a string inside an envelope is not packed? Most of the strings from other brands are packed so I can see that they might be more durable even if strings are from old batches, but for Reds it's not packed and we don't know how long they were exposed to air.
That's a good point! I wonder if it makes a difference?

f your nut was set up for a wound or fluorocarbon low G string (or any high G), the slot may not be wide enough for a Red low G string. Their diameter is ~.042” vs. ~.030" for wound and ~.035” for fluorocarbon. If the slot is not widened to fit the string, it will bind and break. It's like trying to pull a piece of cooked spaghetti through a comb, where the gap between the teeth is narrower than the spaghetti.
That makes sense. It was set up for high G.
But it also narrow down the audience for the string, excluding me as well. I am not willing to file the nut to accommodate for the single string string that snaps because of it regularly apparently and risk movement on smaller strings.
Others might love the sound of Reds enough to do it (or filing and changing nuts is easy for them).

Wouldn't merely blocking them from light (UV degradation) be all they'd need?
I am not knowledgeable but if Acquila productions are mainly coming from Italy by SEA, isn't it wise to pack them to protect from humidity and condensation anyway?
Needless to say, it's globally consumed products that expected to be stored in various conditions before reaching consumers.
I am just wondering if we are only cause of the snapping by failing to install them properly.

If your nut was set up for a wound or fluorocarbon low G string (or any high G), the slot may not be wide enough for a Red low G string. Their diameter is ~.042” vs. ~.030" for wound and ~.035” for fluorocarbon. If the slot is not widened to fit the string, it will bind and break. It's like trying to pull a piece of cooked spaghetti through a comb, where the gap between the teeth is narrower than the spaghetti.
Strings by mail reports 1mm (039) thickness for red and maybe they changed over time. Still 25% thicker than wound and as I have used both I am surprised that I didn't notice the big difference. Also I thought that fluorocarbon would be much thicker than red as they don't have metal content.

That makes sense. It was set up for high G.
But it also narrow down the audience for the string, excluding me as well. I am not willing to file the nut to accommodate for the single string string that snaps because of it regularly apparently and risk movement on smaller strings.
Others might love the sound of Reds enough to do it (or filing and changing nuts is easy for them).
Understood. Filing your nut for such a large string would definitely be committing to that size. You should be able to use fluoro or wound easily. Aquila even has a wound Red if you're determined to use those, although I think it's just a regular wire wound dyed/painted to match.

Strings by mail reports 1mm (039) thickness for red and maybe they changed over time. Still 25% thicker than wound and as I have used both I am surprised that I didn't notice the big difference. Also I thought that fluorocarbon would be much thicker than red as they don't have metal content.
My micrometer says 0.0425”. Maybe the Strings by Mail dimension is after stringing/stretching?

Pretty sure the strings are a nylon mix with metal content, so thicker than fluorocarbon but thinner than all nylon.

My micrometer says 0.0425”. Maybe the Strings by Mail dimension is after stringing/stretching?

Pretty sure the strings are a nylon mix with metal content, so thicker than fluorocarbon but thinner than all nylon.
Yeah on my ukulele where the string broke, I had replaced it with low g Worth brown string, and the string was thick enough that it would just sit on top of the nut and not get in the slot at all. With the Aquila red string, it was just barely thin enough to get in the slot, but basically got so squeezed that it broke. I had someone widen the slot so the string fit now. Will try the Aquilas again when it’s time to replace the strings.

Aquila produces wound and unwound red low G strings. I’m unsure how to tell from the packaging which is which. The unwound ones have a larger diameter than the wound ones.

Aquila produces wound and unwound red low G strings. I’m unsure how to tell from the packaging which is which. The unwound ones have a larger diameter than the wound ones.
The wound ones come as low G in set with other red strings. The plain low G is available as single string and in combination as low string with other types of strings. Sets where plain low red is included change over time and I don't think that you can tell from the package what kind of red is included in a set. But usually sets where the others are not red have a silver wound.

The wound ones come as low G in set with other red strings. The plain low G is available as single string and in combination as low string with other types of strings. Sets where plain low red is included change over time and I don't think that you can tell from the package what kind of red is included in a set. But usually sets where the others are not red have a silver wound.
Thanks for confirming - this is what I've found so far, although didn't know about the unwound low G coming with other types of strings (do you mean strings meant for other instruments or maybe like with the baritone set?).

Thanks for confirming - this is what I've found so far, although didn't know about the unwound low G coming with other types of strings (do you mean strings meant for other instruments or maybe like with the baritone set?).
There are some tenor new Nylgut sets with plain red A G C and AgxAQ sets have red low G I think. There may be others.

Last edited:
Top Bottom