Maple soundhole patch

I dont use a soundhole patch the rosette is supposed to stop the top splitting. Keep it light .:)

I dont use a soundhole patch the rosette is supposed to stop the top splitting. Keep it light .:)
Hi Ken,
Nothing at all? also with spruce top? Because i make rosette (just a circle of 1,5 mm of wood) and i put a patch but i always think it's really too big
(example : rosette and patch )
Thanks,
Raphaël.

Yeah, Mr Times is correct. That’s the original idea behind a rosette. I bind the inside of my soundholes which I like to do for aesthetic reasons but in theory should help to prevent any cracking there. I also add a couple of side splints for support.

Those popsicle stick braces alongside the soundhole work pretty good. 99% of all guitars ever made have them. personally I have always thought they look like just an afterthought. I prefer the donut, made from spruce or redwood. Takes a little extra time and better reinforces the complete soundhole/rosette area. I don't consider it necessary, just something I like to do.

Attachments

• IMG_2581.jpeg
    IMG_2581.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 15
That's interesting.... I have been gluing down a thin veneer soundhole patch BEFORE cutting out the soundhole. The result is a perfectly flush hole in the top and patch, which to the casual observer, makes the top look thicker than it really is overall. I match the species of wood too, so there's no color difference.

I like the idea of setting it back from the edge a little though, so it's not visible. Also allows a lighter wood.

That's interesting.... I have been gluing down a thin veneer soundhole patch BEFORE cutting out the soundhole. The result is a perfectly flush hole in the top and patch, which to the casual observer, makes the top look thicker than it really is overall. I match the species of wood too, so there's no color difference.

I like the idea of setting it back from the edge a little though, so it's not visible. Also allows a lighter wood.
I also glue the patch down before cutting the sound hole and then I use the spindle sander through the hole to taper the patch back from the edge so things do not look thick from the outside.

Doing this I glue the sound hole patch and the bridge patch down and do not care about the thickness of either. Easier to handle thicker pieces of wood. Then I run the top through the thickness sander to thin both patches down to pretty thin.

Very interesting feedback From professional, thanks a lot.
I like to make this part but it's a craft pleasure's 🙂

Top Bottom