Admin Marketplace Topic Discussions

From @Teddy:

I think we as a community probably need to establish some better rules on sale threads.

First one being that one thread per item should exist at any given time. If you list an item, don't sell it, close the thread and come back several months later then by all means, make a new one. But this item is on its second thread (made while the first was still active) which only serves to hide how long its been listed for and/or any previous discussion of the item.

Second would be commentary on price. Most forums have rules barring substantive discussion of prices. "Hey thats a great price, glws" = no problem. "Wow that's a great deal, Teddy is so amazing and special, gee whiz hes the hottest thing since sliced bread" = should be tolerated and frankly, stated more often. But if the price sucks just move on. No one says anything and the thread just dies on its own besides an occasional bump from the seller. We can all look at a for sale thread, realize it's a bad value/offer and just move on with our internet ukulele lives. You want to take a shot at making an offer, do it in PM as seems to be tradition, but this rule would also prevent the seller from complaining publicly about offers they receive. We've all received crap offers and I'm sure someone thinks I've delivered one myself at some point, but keep it private. It has no place or value in the thread itself.

Third (not related to this thread but I'm on my soapbox so here I go) a for sale thread should be required to have a price listed. I don't think a value needs to be assigned on a "for trade" thread but if you're selling a ukulele give the price. I honestly can't believe this isn't a requirement.

I think a lot of these are no brainer big kid rules we all follow for the most part but it's seems like some structure may be helpful to the community at this time.

End rant.
Is posting a link with brief description to another site...one that has an auction format allowed ?

Is posting a link with brief description to another site...one that has an auction format allowed ?
Not as the sole information for the posting. You need to complete the Marketplace requirements as per the rules, but you may link to an outside site for more information and further pictures.

Not as the sole information for the posting. You need to complete the Marketplace requirements as per the rules, but you may link to an outside site for more information and further pictures.
Thanks for the info
Apparently I didn't read the rules very closely:
This board is intended for member-to-member transactions only. Please do not post links or otherwise direct people to your off-site sale (e.g. eBay, Facebook Marketplace, Reverb). If you would like to announce your off-site sale, please do so in the Shameless Self-Promotion board.
So I was totally wrong: you aren't supposed to post links to direct people to your off-site sale. I had thought as long as the details are fleshed out on the Marketplace listing that a cross-post was ok, but looks like it's not.

Is it possible to add a filter to the Marketplace listing to only show posts with a certain selected status. For example, if I wanted to see only items that were still "For Sale" I could select that status and only see those, not all the other Sold, Pending, Wanted, etc. statuses. I've seen this on other sites and wondered if this could be done here without a major coding effort. Thanks in advance for all that you folks do!

Is it possible to add a filter to the Marketplace listing to only show posts with a certain selected status. For example, if I wanted to see only items that were still "For Sale" I could select that status and only see those, not all the other Sold, Pending, Wanted, etc. statuses. I've seen this on other sites and wondered if this could be done here without a major coding effort. Thanks in advance for all that you folks do!
The function already exists. All you have to do is click on a post that has the tag you want to see. Click on the green for sale tag on a post and it will filter to all the for sale items. Same for the other tags.

As a newbie on UU, will I be shut out of buying on the marketplace because sellers will see me as too risky? I've PM-ed a seller on an item and haven't heard a response. Just wondering if that might be the reason since I've been seeing people advise caution with potential buyers who haven't been active for long.

As a newbie on UU, will I be shut out of buying on the marketplace because sellers will see me as too risky? I've PM-ed a seller on an item and haven't heard a response. Just wondering if that might be the reason since I've been seeing people advise caution with potential buyers who haven't been active for long.
It's definitely a risk, and a lot of members are very cautious about selling/buying from unknown members. Some members are also not super active on the forum, and even if you PM them, they might not respond very quickly (despite the fact that they've got something for sale). Unfortunately, there have been at least a couple of perfectly honourable, well-intentioned members who've not been able to make a purchase because the seller doesn't trust their newness enough. I don't think there's anything you can do about it, other than become involved in the forums and have conversations with people about topics that interest you, so that people know you're not just someone trying to scam the system. That's the best I can suggest. If a seller doesn't want to interact with a potential buyer, then that is their prerogative. Obviously, arranging a phone call or Zoom call or something with a seller would likely go a long way to allaying fears, but if the seller won't even respond, that's kind of moot.

Good luck, and I hope that you get a response to your query soon!

I appreciate your input and suggestions. FaceTime and/or phone calls totally make sense for sellers and buyers, and I'll be sure to do that. Sadly scammers are out there, and I understand sellers' hesitation. I have some worry myself about scammers. Still it's a little frustrating. I'll keep trying. :)

Don't feel bad. I think many UU members either don't know there is a PM system, or just never notice they have one. I've PMed many times on the UU marketplace and just in general, and never got a response. Even though it's redundant I'd always post "PM sent" or some such in the main post.

Could we make a change to the Market Place rule,

“To confirm that you own the ukulele(s) that you are listing, we require that at least one photograph in each listing include a handwritten proof of possession with your forum member name, the date, and either "UU" or "Ukulele Underground."”

To also allow a watermark that is universally accepted by the UU community?

Let’s make the Got A Ukulele sales listings legal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom